Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    I wouldn't know, I took Herbalism so every flask I sell is pure profit. Making 200g+ for nothing is a nice profit. Just last night I made about 950g selling flasks, and looking forward to making more tonight.
    you could make more selling herbs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    You fail to factor in flask procs from Elixir Mastery which is what really makes it worth doing. I farmed mats for 10 flasks of the wind the other night, got 5 bonus flasks through procs that easily made selling the flasks a better deal than selling the raw materials, at least on my server. So it is no misconception.
    5 bonus procs is a chance of 15% of 15% of 15% of 15% of 15%..... thats not gonna happen very often.... you get more throughput gold from selling mats as you only made the equivilent to selling herbs

You fail to factor in flask procs from Elixir Mastery which is what really makes it worth doing. I farmed mats for 10 flasks of the wind the other night, got 5 bonus flasks through procs that easily made selling the flasks a better deal than selling the raw materials, at least on my server. So it is no misconception.
    How often do you get 50% more flasks through to procs? Once a month?

This is the 2nd person to make this kind of statement. The chance for procs is no where close to 50% or 60%. This is like claiming buying fortune cards are a good way to make money because you bought 10 and happened to get a 5000g card.

The chance of procs are 15%. Each proc has a chance to proc for 15% up to 4 times. So we can assign an expected value (EV) of each Flask created as:

1 + (1 x 0.15) + (1 x 0.15^2) + (1 x 0.15^3) + (1 x 0.15^4)
    = ~1.1758

Just to pull some arbitrary numbers from my server's economy, let's say the mats cost 250g to produce a flask of the draeconic mind, and it sells for 200g. The 200g flask can be said to have a value of 200g x 1.1758 = 235.16g. ie: Your still taking loss. Particularly when you factor in AH cuts and deposit fee's.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    I took Herbalism so every flask I sell is pure profit.
    I'm sorry, but that's not how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Unless blizzard tries to lower amount of mats or make those items less desirable / easier to get. Then you end up with lots of items made with more expensive items / noone wants. [COLOR="red"]
    Sorry, I wasn't implying to sit on finished goods, that would be silly.

The vast majority of prices tend to trend down the further you get into an expansion, so it's not a good idea to stockpile anything born of the Cata era at the moment.

procne brings up a great point about cauldrons, and the subsuquent lowering of demand for flasks in general. So I ask: why, oh why, are these BoP? We can't make money off that....fail. Extra suck: in my 10 man group for example, we have zero alchemists (my alchemist is on a non-raiding alt).