Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is my guildy Holy Priest doing it wrong?

I'll start of by saying my main is a Warlock and I have have next to no idea how healing works. My guildy Holy Priest who is geared in nearly full heroic gear with some epics has been healing our raids for a while and nearly every fight seems to consist of vent being filled with the word Innervate. Now, he claims that Holy Priests are designed to use all their mana then regenerate it multiple times in a fight. Is he retarded? Let me know what you all need to know in order to let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    In promulgating your esoteric cogitations or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and amicable philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosity.

Yea hes doing it wrong.. HE needs to lrn how to not use his exspensive heals when there not needed. It would take forever to go from zero and just stand there till u get enough to be usefull. He should use his fiend and pots and hymn of hope befor hes oom.

At a moderste Spirit level, it's actually impossible to go OOM casting Heal, since it costs so little that you regenerate the mast cost in the time it takes to cast it. He needs to use his efficent heal more often, honestly, although without more information it's hard to say exactly what else needs to be done.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Sounds like he is also just trying to epeen on top of meters. He should not rely on a druids innervate ever, what would happen if your balance/resto druids didnt show up? You would not only be down the druids but also your priest who it seems can only heal by using up innervates.

Deleted
    u cant tell from your information if he's doing it wrong tbh. mabye the raids doing it wrong, maybe a lot of the damage can be avoided by the raid members and that could improve his mana. have a look at recount next time, see what spells he's using and how much of it is ovehealing.

To expand on what CodeMonkey said, this question can't really be answered with the information you provided. It's easy to say "omg he's a noob and bad," but maybe people are taking too much unnecessary damage, forcing him to heal more than should be necessary.

If you can post logs, we can dig through it in a bit more detail.
    www.justanotherwowblog.com - A blog about gold making, WoW economics, MMO philosophy, and more!

My GM and our priest healer pulls over 15k hps if he needs too, me as a Hpally do 16k if i absolutly have to. our restodruid is at 14k if he needs to. we dont "save" innervate for anyone, resto druid uses his own. we get our feral/moonkin to spend his innervate on the first one who drops below 70% mana usually me as Hpala or Priest. depending on the fight we can get 2-3 innervates from him, none of them marked for anyone of us. whoever needs it gets it when it's off CD. If your raid isn't comunicating about those things on the fly then the lack of skill on your Priest is the least of your worries.

I just took a look at his healing on WoL and between 40 and 50% of his heals are from Prayer of Healing as a raid healer. Is this ideal?
    In promulgating your esoteric cogitations or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and amicable philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosity.

Yes hes doing it wrong, tell him to shape up or ship out. This isn't wraith anymore.

it all depends on the fight really, but like most people are saying he is probably doing it wrong since our regen is stupid high right now. He will be totally screwed when the next patch comes out and he has 10% less regen. He should use CDs early and then again as they are off CD. Yes we are in a way designed to have our bar FLUCTUATE more than other healers but that doesn't mean spend it all as fast as you can.

What my guess is is that your friend is stuck in WOTLK healing. Holy priests can not afford to throw renews on everyone in the raid and spam flash heal like we used to. As a raid healer, holy priests are still very strong, but we have to play more conservatively. Prayer of Healing, Lightwell, CoH, and PoM should be used extensively, they give the best hps/mana. Heal and Greater Heal are reserved for tanks and/or spike damage. I usually save renew for the tanks or if I am moving and flash heal only in rare situations. One has to think of the cost of spells, I've caught myself canceling a PoH if the people get topped before I get to them, something I'd never think twice about in Wrath.
    Your friend may also be gearing full haste, which could also be part of the issue. In my experience, more haste means more healing, which could mean running OOM faster. While haste is an important stat, it can lead to a drained mana bar faster.
    It is hard to pinpoint the issue with a lack of information, but I would assume it is one of those.
    Also, I do get innervates from one of our Boomkins, but I could do without, I would just have to manage fiend better. Innervates are a lovely thing to have, especially in a 25man guild. I could see it being hard to give out in a 10man.
    Last edited by Rayella; 2011-01-14 at 06:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kai zayin View Post
    I just took a look at his healing on WoL and between 40 and 50% of his heals are from Prayer of Healing as a raid healer. Is this ideal?
    Depends on the fight. What about his usage of Flash Heal?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    At a moderste Spirit level, it's actually impossible to go OOM casting Heal, since it costs so little that you regenerate the mast cost in the time it takes to cast it. He needs to use his efficent heal more often, honestly, although without more information it's hard to say exactly what else needs to be done.
    This. With mainly heroic gear, you can keep renews rolling on like 4 people through heal and chakra: serenity without going below 100%. Of course, this isn't possible to do for a whole raidboss, but it gives a good indication how mana effective holy priests can be.

Unless you have 4k+ MP5, you will still drain yourself *slowly* by spamming Heal. Starting off with Renews doesn't help for staying at 100% either.

I'm full HC gear now with an Epic or 3 and calculating Tyrande's Favorite Doll's effective MP5 (macro'ed it to Heal, effectively 350 MP5), I am close to zero mana loss with spamming Heal after Renews, but not *entirely* yet as I have 3370 MP5 combat regen (3720 with the Trinket). Of course, this is without 300 Spirit Flask, then I'd push myself above it. And without extra buffs that could affect it, like Replenishment (my regular group doesn't have anyone able to trigger Replenishment on the group).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kai zayin View Post
    Can you post a link to a log or two?

Found the logs:

http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/102050/

I assume he's "Rabbi" - his Holy Word: Sanctuary has 60% overheal - maybe he doesn't realize how much mana that costs & isn't using it at the right time. Don't really have time to dig through right now though :s

Edit: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pc...=10783&e=11145 - Ascendant Council Kill

14x Flash Heal - yeah that will do it. Looks like you guys have above average damage taken as well. Might want to look into people getting proper debuffs & situational awareness of everyone.
    Last edited by Mazi; 2011-01-14 at 01:54 PM.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Deleted
    Hes doing it wrong. Way Wrong. On 25 man raids there is 2 priests, holy, always toping the heal metres. Myself and our other priest. I very rarley Go Oom these days.. I actualy spend most the time spam Prayer of healing and i still struggle to Go Oom. Only fights that have ever oomed me is Chogal so far on 25 man. Raid heal is intense on phase 3.

Spirit is a vital key in raiding. With the tsunami proc i sit on 4k Combat regen. With buffs and Power torrent+ Tear of Blood its hitting 6k+

So either your Priest is utilising spells wrong.. or he doesnt have enough combat regen. I aimed for 3.4k before starting raiding and easily obtained that with heroic gear,

So yeah...hes poo

Council is a shit of a fight if the DPS don't do what they are suppose to do, so linking meters from that fight can't tell us much tbh
    I just checked the log of my night of attempts of Council, and over 19 attempts i did 50+ flash heals.
    Last edited by Samurai; 2011-01-14 at 02:03 PM.

Tbh geting to 15k hps is a bit harsh for every healer. I personally managed to reach 18k hps on Halfus and went OOM for about a minute, more or less. Sometimes the healing output depends on how the other healers are doing with the aoe healing. If they dont AoE heal i have to oom myself before we loose a dps etc.

One thing i learned for AoE healing is DONT PANIC and DONT AIM TOPING all the players. + Ask him to combine 1xPrayer of healing with 1xCircle of Healing and repeat when CoH is off CD. That would keep the raiders up enought to survive till next AoE heal.

AoE helaling needs conservative style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    Council is a shit of a fight if the DPS don't do what they are suppose to do, so linking meters from that fight can't tell us much tbh
    I just checked the log of my night of attempts of Council, and over 19 attempts i did 50+ flash heals.
    Well you can easily click on the Guild Name and view all of the other logs. I just went with the most recent. I also pointed out their above average damage taken.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest