Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Maximized Disc DPS/Healer Hybrid Setup [Warning: Math]

Again, someone asked for it, and I was curious myself what this would look like. The following is what I believe to be the best DPS possible on a standard fight for Disc, while also attempting to boost HPS as much as possible in the process.

NOTE: I am not suggesting this build to anyone. This is more of a theoretical look than a practical one.

Assuming:
    (1) 5stack Evangelism
    (2) 22% HST raid buffed
    (3) 15% CRIT raid buffed
    (4) 9000SP
    (5) Eschewing MST
    (6) The following spec: http://wowtal.com/#k=1ACd7U90.aei.priest.-4sHfw
    Note: The 1/2 in RS is a throwaway point. Put it where ever you want.
    2/2 Imp SW:P can be switched for 2/2 VS. It is a slight DPS decrease for a big gain in sustainability.

The following is a sustainable, repeatable rotation. Obviously it is not optimal because Blizzard did not intend Disc to be played in this fashion:

NOTE: I intended for the below chart to be expanded, showing how the timers work in sync, but it is too difficult to format on this forum. I'll try to do a .jpg of an excel spreadsheet later.

[TIMER][STARTCAST]
    [00.00] PW:S
    [01.23] SW:P(BT)
    [02.31] DP(BT)
    [03.39] Penance(BT)
    [04.83] Holy Fire(BT)
    [05.94] Smite(20%) [5.94]
    [07.58] Smite(20%)
    [09.22] Smite(20%)
    [10.86] Smite(20%)
    [12.50] Penance
    [14.14] Smite
    [15.78] Smite
    [17.42] PW:S
    [18.65] SW:P(BT)
    [19.73] DP(BT)
    [20.81] Penance(BT)
    [22.25] Holy Fire(BT)
    [23.33] Smite(20%)
    [24.97] Smite(20%)
    [26.61] Smite(20%)
    [28.25] Smite(20%)
    [29.89] Penance
    [31.53] Smite
    [33.17] Smite
    [34.81] PW:S

As can be seen, this rotation can be repeated indefinitely, never letting SW:P or DP drop and always having them affected by BT. Given the assumptions made above, the DPS breaks down as follows for the above chart:

SMITE:
    ([(BD*#NC)+(COEF*#NC)SP][TS*5xEVA])]+([(BD*#GC)+(COEF*#GC)*SP][TS*5xEVA*GoS])
    ([(692*4)+(.758*4)9000][1.06*1.2])]+([(692*8)+(.758*8)9000][1.06*1.2*1.2])
    ([(2768+27388)(1.272)]+[(5536+54576)(1.5264)])
    (38358+91754)

PENANCE
    ([BD*#C]+[(COEF*#C)SP])(TD*5xEVA)
    ([2232*4]+[(1.473*4)9000])(1.06*1.2)
    (8928+53028)(1.272)

SHADOW WORD: PAIN
    ([BD*#T]+[(COEF*#T)SP])(TD*TF*ISW:P*GoSW:P)
    ([221*16.22])+[(.185*16.22)9000])(1.06*1.02*1.06*1.1)
    (3585+27006)(1.26)

DEVOURING PLAGUE
    ([BD*#T]+[(COEF*#T)SP])(TD*TF)
    ([155*16.74])+[(.185*16.74)9000])(1.06*1.02)
    (2595+27872)(1.0812)

HOLY FIRE
    ([(BD+BDHoT)*#C]+[(COEF+COEFHoT)*#C]SP)(TD*5xEVA)
    ([1380*2]+[(.776*2)9000])(1.06*1.2)
    (2760+13968)(1.272)

===============================================

Given 15% CRIT over an extended period, this rotation and spec can output Approx. 9817k DPS and 6700HPS.
    Add in 2/3PIs, Hero/BL/TW, and Shadowfiend, the numbers work to Approx. 10.7k DPS & 7.4HPS.

EDIT: I miscalculated the cast time of Holy Fire. The new numbers reflect the proper increase in both DPS & HPS.

bump for brilliant thread
    ill test this out later and let you know

add in the major smite glyph imo
    Last edited by reverendball; 2011-01-14 at 09:09 AM.

Hmm very good thank you...I was wondering what it would be like.

I worked on it today as well.

Did you use any sequencing macros?

Nope. This is theoretical. I wasn't about to pull together all the raid buffs necessary, respec, and reglyph to test it out for 10min.

I did test it in my current AA/Aton raid disc spec/gear/glyphs and, with no hit, could pull, without popping fiend or PI, about 6.5k DPS. My haste levels aren't currently sufficient enough to support this build [about 2% short], which is critical for the timing to squeeze an extra smite, which is necessary to drop the CD on Penance and have enough time to refresh SW:P before it drops.

As for a sequence macro, there is no reason why you just couldn't do:

/castsequence PW:S, SW:P, DP, Penance, HF, Smitex4, Penance, Smitex2

...then bind it to all keys and commence a faceroll. The problem is the rotation changes when you pop PI or BL/Hero/TW.

yes I have only gotten mine to 16.7% after being told to get it all reforged and what not....seems interesting though

Wow. Very nice. Like the build, but I like having PW:S CD talent (Soul Warding). 6.5k dps isn't bad for a disc priest keeping groups healed. :P

Bump for awesomesauce genius.

Quote Originally Posted by TourettesHeals View Post
    Wow. Very nice. Like the build, but I like having PW:S CD talent (Soul Warding). 6.5k dps isn't bad for a disc priest keeping groups healed. :P

Bump for awesomesauce genius.
    As I said, that was just me, by my self, no flask/food, just IF. With the 5% haste/crit raid buff + 2% more haste on my gear, popping fiend, PI, and heroism over a standard raid fight period, I'm fairly confident that 10k DPS could be reached while out-putting 7k HPS [Not to mention having 2m on-use DPS trinkets to coincide with PI].

For this bizzare spec, SW would be pointless as the intention is to maximize DPS. PW:S is only used for BT and Rapture for this set-up.

Also, I think I would call it madness, not genius. Almost certainly pointless. =P

EDIT: Its kinda like the "All-Purpose Yards" guy in football. He'll never have a 250yrd rushing day or 300yds receiving with 4 TDs, but he may have 80punt/kick return yards, 50 rushing yards, 60 receiving yards and four special teams tackles, pinning his opponents deep on their side of the field. I mean, at the end of it, it has the potential to do 17.2k XPS(tm) in obtainable gear, which is something.

---------- Post added 2011-01-14 at 03:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    add in the major smite glyph imo
    That is factored into the numbers, and is showing up for me when I click the talent tree. odd.

No flask no foods and putting it into sequencing macros i got 7.54k DPS with fiend. So with the raiding buff it should come out to about the 10k mark. Healing wise it is mainly for Melee heals so its about normal on heals

only problem i did run into actually doing it in game is the constant reminder to keep BT up. I started pinning Weakend Soul to the SWP timer so that would be the time i renewed SWP, DP, and then popped BT again. Its got the potential but you are right it needs the gear to back it.
    Last edited by breseis; 2011-01-14 at 10:33 AM.

Nice. I'll try that sometime soon.

Awesome thread! small pointer. The 1 point in RS will prolly be better spent in imp DP

It's a shame that you need 31 points in disc to get to other trees .

But I'm deffo going to try this build. Though I really like Shadow as offspec. Pew pewing everything with 3 DoTs on 1 (killing it) and Mind Spiking the other to death <3.

Sounds good so far but one question.

How long can this be sustained with what gear? I have a feeling I'd run oom quick.

ok Spiritus

how about a holy priest with smite chakra? maybe even evan in the build too?

Quote Originally Posted by Shantier View Post
    Awesome thread! small pointer. The 1 point in RS will prolly be better spent in imp DP
    EDIT: Actually, you must put 31pts in Disc, so Imp DP isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by deathwatcher23 View Post
    Sounds good so far but one question.
    How long can this be sustained with what gear? I have a feeling I'd run oom quick.
    You will run OOM quick by trying this on the dummies, because its sustainability relies on Rapture. This, plus Disc's extended mana pool [synergy w/ replen et al], makes in viable for most encounter lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    ok Spiritus
    how about a holy priest with smite chakra? maybe even evan in the build too?
    I fail to see how a holy priest using something like this is at all effective. Without the "XPS(tm)" factor that Atonement brings, you literally become deadweight on your raid.

Furthermore, with taking out BT, I get the feeling that SW:P & DP will lose its luster and the rotation essentially will turn into HF->Smite till HF CD->HF (Chastise on move), which is really, really simple math. But I'll napkin it later for kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    I fail to see how a holy priest using something like this is at all effective. Without the "XPS(tm)" factor that Atonement brings, you literally become deadweight on your raid.

Furthermore, with taking out BT, I get the feeling that SW:P & DP will loose its luster and the rotation essentially will turn into HF->Smite till HF CD->HF (Chastise on move), which is really, really simple math. But I'll napkin it later for kicks.
    yea i know it not in any way shape or form viable. but for some reason im interesting in the numbers and your SOO good at this math. (yea im stupid i know) and beside every post you makes interest me!

This does become viable on bosses that take increased damage. Thats why it is so great on Halfus.
    And I assume like and other disc spec that stats go: INT> Spirit > Haste > Crit
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic View Post
    This does become viable on bosses that take increased damage. Thats why it is so great on Halfus.
    And I assume like and other disc spec that stats go: INT> Spirit > Haste > Crit
    For this to reach its best potential, you need 22% haste raid buffed [it has to do with the SW:P timer]. So, yes, Haste>Crit, and SPI is very important for sustainability [and hit], but with the limited item budget in T11, I'd prolly stop at 22% haste until the next tier to pick up crit to about 15% buffed.

Also, with Halfus, I'd prolly do the PW:S->HF->Smitex6(rinse) rotation b/c of the gimmick (that's the max HPS rotation while never casting a heal).

Why not move the 3 inner fire points to soul warding and full reflective shield? assuming the shield is macro-d to the MT and its cast every 13 seconds you should get rapture and borrowed time more often, the reflective shield would boost dps too (I suppose its a toss-up between that and inner fire).

What about using archangel? Would it help or hinder mana efficiency? Atonement heals?

Its an interesting build that I may very well try out when I am geared.

Does casting SW:P work out to be worth it or could the points be moved to veiled shadows for more shadowfiending and a better fade?

Quote Originally Posted by Ledzee View Post
    Why not move the 3 inner fire points to soul warding and full reflective shield? assuming the shield is macro-d to the MT and its cast every 13 seconds you should get rapture and borrowed time more often, the reflective shield would boost dps too (I suppose its a toss-up between that and inner fire).

What about using archangel? Would it help or hinder mana efficiency? Atonement heals?

Its an interesting build that I may very well try out when I am geared.

Does casting SW:P work out to be worth it or could the points be moved to veiled shadows for more shadowfiending and a better fade?
    (1a) Reflective shield only works when you cast PW:S on yourself. PW:S must be cast in the order that I presented in the OP. BT must affect SW:P and DP every time it is cast. Yes, it should be macroed to the tank.
    (1b) As for SW, PW:S is only used to boost haste for the application of SW:P & DP. It should only be cast every 17.42sec, which makes SW unnecessary.
    (2) Using AA will boost your HPS significantly, but decrease mana efficiency and DPS. Its a judgment call based on what is needed most.
    (3) I can see the benefit in moving the points from IMP SW:P to VS. My hunch is IMP SW:P is a slight DPS increase over the course of a standard boss fight, while VS is a significant boost to sustainability.

---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 12:00 AM ----------

I miscalculated the cast time of Holy Fire. The new numbers reflect the proper increase in both DPS & HPS.

How does PW:S boost the cast time of anything beyond SW:P? I thought it only affects the next spell cast after PW:S?