Tanking Ring with Strength, should a Bear even bother?

I was wondering, has anyone got the math figured out? I'm currently just passing on everything that has Strength on it. The way itemization goes today, that also means I pass on everything that has Dodge on it, though Dodge is quite good for the Bear, right? So I was wondering. I've currently still got Ring of Blinding Stars, and could get Felsen's Ring of Resolve from reputation, which has more Stamina and much better secondary stats, but no Agility. Should I even bother?

I am no druid but I would say you can need on tanking rings with str as long as you are tanking.

Str rings with dodge are fine to roll on, sadly there arent many (if none?) tanking rings with agi and dodge.

Felsen's is also what I use with Entwined Nereis as secondary.
    Last edited by Riathy; 2011-01-14 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borakh View Post
    I've currently still got Ring of Blinding Stars, and could get Felsen's Ring of Resolve from reputation, which has more Stamina and much better secondary stats, but no Agility. Should I even bother?
    I don't think it's worth it.

Thanks for the replies! I'm not shy to roll on Str items, I was just wondering if the better Stam + secondary stats compensate for the loss in Agi.

The only place u will see a ring with Agi/Dodge will be in TotFW, and id imagine the chance of that happening is incredibly low. I thought they changed a mechanic of Bear tanking to make Str worthwhile, maybe not ideal, but so they benefit for tanking necks/rings?

Yeah, thing is that bears still get 2 AP per 1 point of STR, so you're losing out on a tiny bit of crit and dodge, but if you're gaining better itemized secondary stats like dodge and mastery, then it's a good tradeoff

Quote Originally Posted by Borakh View Post
    I was wondering, has anyone got the math figured out? I'm currently just passing on everything that has Strength on it. The way itemization goes today, that also means I pass on everything that has Dodge on it, though Dodge is quite good for the Bear, right? So I was wondering. I've currently still got Ring of Blinding Stars, and could get Felsen's Ring of Resolve from reputation, which has more Stamina and much better secondary stats, but no Agility. Should I even bother?
    In this case Felsen's Ring of Resolve would be better. Haste on Ring of Blinding Stars is largely wasted. Some Strength tanking items are better than the agility items around because of the secondary stats. IIRC the BiS back item is a strength one. AFAIK you won't find agility + dodge because the agility compensates for the lack of dodge, it provides dodge rating (not quite as much) but also provides other benefits like crit for savage defence etc.

Since its a higher tier item, its worth it. If you are comparing jewelry from the same tier, then;
    tanking item with bonus armor > agility item > other tanking item
    this is if its well itemized otherwise ofc.

Deleted
    Dont forget that agi gives you dodge (less then dodge rating but stil ) atp AND crit.
    So a ring with strength and dodge rating is nice, agi wil ALWAYS be better.
    Sinds A agi wil stack with kings/motw and dodge rating wil not.
    B crit = 50% chance on savage defender proc = mittigation. do not forget this

You should stick to agility.. Unless the ilvl upgrade is +13 then i would say no..
    I know many agility rings dont have dodge, but that is why God invented reforging.. Problem fixed!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sejta from paragon has
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/item/65372
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/item/65082

So 1 with agil, 1 with str, seems he values stam/mastery over agil/str in ring selection. Ofcourse this all depends on the rest of your gear, but im showing it just to let you know that other players are having the same conflict in evaluation.

Okay, now I’ve done the math:

Ring of Blinding Stars

149 Agi = 322 AP; 0.61% Dodge; 0.46% Crit
    224 Stam = 2,988 HP
    100 Mastery Rating = 0.56 Mastery
    100 Haste Rating = useless
    --> reforged to 40 Dodge Rating = 0.23% Dodge

Felsen’s Ring of Resolve

168 Str = 336 AP
    252 Stam = 3,362 HP
    112 Dodge Rating = 0.63% Dodge
    112 Mastery Rating = 0.62 Mastery

So exchanging the 333 ilvl Agi ring for the 346 ilvl Str ring would net me:

+14 AP
    +0.06 Mastery
    +374 HP

-0.46% Crit
    -0.21% Dodge

Looks like something of a draw. I’d even say the Ring of Blinding Stars is slightly better.
    Last edited by Borakh; 2011-01-14 at 01:38 PM.

The general rule of thumb is that the Str piece you're considering has to be at least a tier higher than the Agi piece. Even then, it's usually not as good.

Sounds about right. I guess I'll keep on passing on Strength items, unless they're two tiers better than what I've got. And I'd always leave the Strength items to the plate wearers as long as they leave the pole arms to me. ;-D