Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Alot of MMOs copy eachother, If it isnt broken why change it? its somthing people like? use it. I really wanna try it too tho ^^ seems really fun but the talent system seems so dam confuseing atm lol.

i played APB in its beta stages (believe it was an open beta?) and im one of them people who found it "meh" but.. it was a cool idea for an MMO and when it comes back as F2P i probs try it again with its changes.

I hope some new MMOs do really well, Guild Wars 2, Rift and so on. So blizzard think "oh dam!" and if people start to leave for other MMOs they might make there encounters more cool and so on ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Pushad View Post
    I've got beta and rift is wow with different spells and content. The "rift" events are just "oh look there is huge graphic effect and monsters are spawning around" and when monsters are attacking city it feels like 20 men alliance raid is running into orgrimmar at 6PM on server with high horde population. It has some interesting ideas, like 123456 talent trees, but overall it doesn't feel like something new. If you like wow but are sick of its content you should check this out, otherwise stick with wow.

But is this really a bad thing? I mean if its even close to being as good as wow in beta then surely its worth a go?

If Rift gets released and is even 80% as good as wow then it will be an awesome core to work on and many people will play it,give more decent mmo's people shouldnt be restricted to 1.

Deleted
    Aion is/was better from what I've played so far (played both games). Aion need alot more stable PvE content though wich maybe Rift will be able to deliver over time. Though Aion is planning a major update soon so hard to say.

As mentioned above Rift has copied alot from WoW (I mean exact copies, sometimes even looks like it's just a UI addon over WoW)...but that can be good though. If you like WoW but want something new I advice it for sure. If you want more interesting rotation on spells etc I would go Aion, at lvl 20 I had more to do as a tank than a max level tank in WoW.

Whatever you do don't listen to fanboys who pick a side with the argument "*insert game* sucks". They are idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bring back the oldschool Ultima Online, you know back when it was actually good.

Deleted
    The funny thing is WoW didn't bring anything new to the table like lots of people seem to think, it just brought together and improved upon other MMOs. (Primarily Everquest at first but many others since then)

That said I won't get rift right away, it looks interesting and im tempted to give it a try but i've been tricked before into buying half finished games and I don't particularly want to be tricked again. (Hello APB, I loved you as much as anyone could love a great concept with poor execution.)

Played Beta and so far enjoyed it a lot. Quests flow well and you don't find yourself struggling to figure out where to go or what to do next. As for grinding, I haven't come across any so far. Drop rates and spawn rates for mobs are fairly quick, not too quick to the point where you get overwhelmed.

Imo, RIFT has taken a lot of the pet hates of MMO players and fixed them. For example, looting in Rift, loots every mob near you've killed, instead of having to loot one by one. Little thing yes but very handy. Bringing up the world map doesn't fill your entire screen, but if your moving fades. So you can see where your going, but also if your going in the correct direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    More like complete Wow clone. The interface is the same, combat is the same and the rifts is the only part that actually adds a "new" thing to the game. Even then, the rift spawning is just like mass world PvP; so, overall - nothing new.

The reason people play wow is we have a history with it and especially with achievements this is even more obvious. You aren't just throwing away a save but almost 7 years of work (in some people's cases).
    Last edited by SHT; 2011-01-15 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by h44mm00 View Post
    More like complete Wow clone. The interface is the same, combat is the same and the rifts is the only part that actually adds a "new" thing to the game. Even then, the rift spawning is just like mass world PvP; so, overall - nothing new.
    WoW brought very little new to the MMO scene, the only reason it became big was because they did what everyone else was doing better. All the MMOs that were out when WoW was released had similar styles WoW included, it just came down to WoW had a more polished and longer lasting game, WoW did not do anything very special compared to the others it was just made better.

Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    What's interesting to me is it seems like people think you have to hate WoW to try another game.. cultist like almost.
    Exactly, many seem to think that if you play another MMO you can't play WoW that makes no sense and is very fanboyish.

15+ Year Old Account
    SO FAR, Rift doesn't have anywhere -close- to the level of grinding required that Aion did.

That may change once we get to see level 28-50 content, but hopefully, they continue to design quests to flow all the way to max level, and Rifts along the way to make things fun.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I m in Rift beta and i dont think that it looks like aion)) I think it s cool and i even would like to play it but mmo games are in past for me)
    But i saw on beta some mass mob farming shit. Like rift closing or pats killing, i ve never see so many ppl in wow in one place)))

Deleted
    Well, I can't wait to play it in BETA Theres no point in not trying.

The World of Warcraft was invented in 1865 when Eli Whitney and Thomas Edison joined forces to try and create a cotton-powered-lightbulb. The result was a highly addictive computer code that would not be utilized again until 1956 when the U.S Government used the sequence to code the genetic basis for crack cocaine as a plot to suppress the black community. Blizzard Entertainment, a soviet sleeper cell, acquired this code through espionage in the early 80s with aspirations to use it to make an entire generation of American children exceptionally lazy, stupid and fat; therefore incapable of challenging Soviet supremacy in years to come. Fortunately the Soviet Union was bought by Apple before these plans came to fruition and Steve Jobs turned it into an amusement park for hipsters to buy apps from for their iThings. Blizzard Entertainment was unable to accept the fall of their motherland and has continued with their machinations to this very day.

Clearly every other game that has come out since then has been an attempted replication of this highly successful terrorist attack by various insurgent groups around the world aimed at advancing this agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    Bring back the oldschool Ultima Online, you know back when it was actually good.
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    The World of Warcraft was invented in 1865 when Eli Whitney and Thomas Edison joined forces to try and create a cotton-powered-lightbulb. The result was a highly addictive computer code that would not be utilized again until 1956 when the U.S Government used the sequence to code the genetic basis for crack cocaine as a plot to suppress the black community. Blizzard Entertainment, a soviet sleeper cell, acquired this code through espionage in the early 80s with aspirations to use it to make an entire generation of American children exceptionally lazy, stupid and fat; therefore incapable of challenging Soviet supremacy in years to come. Fortunately the Soviet Union was bought by Apple before these plans came to fruition and Steve Jobs turned it into an amusement park for hipsters to buy apps from for their iThings. Blizzard Entertainment was unable to accept the fall of their motherland and has continued with their machinations to this very day.

Clearly every other game that has come out since then has been an attempted replication of this highly successful terrorist attack by various insurgent groups around the world aimed at advancing this agenda.
    Best post i've ever seen on here that made me chuckle immensely
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Played the Aion beta aswell, and continued playing for another month or so after release.

While it looked fantastic in terms of graphics, the characters for some reason felt "separated" from the actual game, game control was clunky, leveling was a horrible grind which I usually don't mind, but the annoying fact you had to kill mobs non-stop killed it.

The PvP system was flawed, clunky and about as fluid as a piece of paper in the Thames.

After this, and numerous other MMO's I've played, I advise everyone to wait about a month before picking up a new MMO.
    Sonics - Argent Dawn EU
    Mahurum - Argent Dawn EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Castia View Post
    But is this really a bad thing? I mean if its even close to being as good as wow in beta then surely its worth a go?

If Rift gets released and is even 80% as good as wow then it will be an awesome core to work on and many people will play it,give more decent mmo's people shouldnt be restricted to 1.
    Well in theory it is not a bad thing, however I think you must bring something new to the table to steal players from other mmos. I doubt that any game will be as successful as wow if it offers only alternative - new players will choose between them, but why would wow player move to game that is almost the same as wow? Only if wow player gets sick of its content and wants to keep everything else.

Also no, I don't belive one can play more than one mmo. There can be exceptions, but generally you play more than one mmo at once only when you are trying things out. There can be exceptions like eve online where you don't need to be that much active to progress through game, but I don't think that average player will actively play more mmo games. In the big picture, those few people who have the time and money to actively play more than one mmo doesn't matter.

The old (read pre-insurance or sphereserver freeshard) Ultima Online was awesome game, but I don't think we will see anything close to it soon. The closest thing to it is eve online, which is something entirely different and yet you feel the same when pirates/pk are hunting you in low sec/outside of guard zone (or you are hunting someone ;p )

People want something new but complain when it doesn't beat WoW. Did I just take a step, into the Twilight Zone?

RIFT offers amazing graphics and can be pretty hard on your system. If you are playing WoW with issues RIFT will likely start up for you and offer a dancing cat in a tophat saying "research next time".

Also why is it that the majority of people that show interest in a game do little to no research before posting something in disgust?

Lets stop wanting games to be better than WoW. Zero games will beat WoW until the game has had time to develop and learn from its own mistakes. Offer a game like WoW and you only get the small fraction of MMO players, give a player a fun game then who cares if it's not better than WoW It's still freakin fun. It's like swapping out a speed bike for a snow mobile, they're both fun but it's still nice to have some variation amongst the two.

RIFT plays very similar to WoW, why is this? Not because WoW is the god supreme of awesomeness, but because it offers a simple to use control system and that many gamers can come in and feel comfortable and not feel like a learning curve.
    RIFT has pretty linear questing because as lesson learned in WoW, people hate walking 100 miles for a few quests and little reward.
    RIFT offers a large variety of class customization that allows you, in a sense, make your own class. You always wanted your WoW paladin to charge? You got it .. You wanted your Rogue to throw fireballs? You got it ... want to Heal and be able to solo things without changing specs? You got it.
    RIFT has it similarities to WoW because that is how many MMOs have developed over the years but each game will offer something new and it isn't the job of a developer to tell you "This is why we're better than WoW" it's your job to go "This is why I enjoy it more than WoW"

Blizzard has never really innovated. Many of their games fall into an established genre, and take features from competitors... the noteworthy thing is the the Blizzard polish. They may "borrow" but they also make it better.

Rifts has potential. I personally will keep an eye on it. I like that they let you move your UI elements around, natively... no mods required. I'm not sure why Blizzard hasn't implemented this yet, because it's been in many post-WoW MMOs. Their new Raid UI is a little better on customization, but there's still nothing for other unitframes, the minimap, etc. I also like that there is a lot of class customization in Rifts, as others have pointed out.

I really dislike how every Fantasy MMO is compared to WoW. Even the RIFT forums are full of people talking about World of Warcraft, and or bragging about how good they are in WoW.

RIFT is a really cool game. It takes some mechanics from other MMO"s, and it creates their own. For example the RIFT's are somewhat like PQ's in Warhammer online, except they dynamical change gigantic portions of the world map if not dealt with by the player base. They have talent tree's similar to World of Warcraft, except you can mix and match souls (offspec tree's) from all the callings (classes in the game). This gives you hundreds of combination of different classes and spec's, with each player having practically 9 tree's at once.

The lead designer has also stressed he wants the game to be fun, but challenging. They don't care if every single combination is balanced, so long as the balance isn't fundamentally broken. This gives different skill types different reasons to play different combination's of souls.

Rift is it's own game. It isn't competing with WoW. I think it's going to be successful the same way EVE is. You don't need to beat WoW to be a good MMO.

I never got to play Aion. I bought it, downloaded it, and it crashed every time I tried to run it. Nobody would ever contact me from NCSoft so I'll never buy another game from them.