A Laptop Recommendation

The MSI GX740. I just received mine today, and it's simply amazing. If you're looking for a gaming laptop around $1100-1200, you simply can't beat the price-to-performance ratio right now.

P.S. I'll come back and edit this post if I come across any problems, but so far I'm impressed.

Deleted
    good to hear , i pretty much tell anyone who wants a full blown gaming laptop to get that one

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GX740-235US-17-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B0040HMLAQ/

Alright, so I'm beyond impressed with this thing. It's been on for nearly 7 hours straight so far and it's still cool to the touch, even while stressing it with Bad Company 2 maxed out and various benchmarks. It's taken everything I can throw at it without breaking a sweat. With the number of threads we have around here asking about what people should get, I'll say again that anybody wanting a gaming laptop for around $1100 should go with one of these.

Visker, you might want to use a link to the Newegg page for it instead of Amazon, it's $100 cheaper at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    Alright, so I'm beyond impressed with this thing. It's been on for nearly 7 hours straight so far and it's still cool to the touch, even while stressing it with Bad Company 2 maxed out and various benchmarks. It's taken everything I can throw at it without breaking a sweat. With the number of threads we have around here asking about what people should get, I'll say again that anybody wanting a gaming laptop for around $1100 should go with one of these.

Visker, you might want to use a link to the Newegg page for it instead of Amazon, it's $100 cheaper at the moment.
    One of those threads is mine :P, how does it run WoW on max?

WoW on ultra is a joke for it lol even with 4x AA 16xAF it's still averaging 50+ fps, 30+ while recording with fraps.

Edit: Thats with a browser and winamp running in the background and downloading through steam.

Deleted
    Well it uses the 720QM (same CPU as my one year ol' lappy now), which itself is a good deal faster at full throttle than a Core2 E8600 (3.3ghz). Toss a decent GPU in and it should handle wow quite well.

I don't like 17 inch laptops though (mines 15), and its battery time really is a let down (less than 2hrs on maximum powersaving?). But for a portable desktop system, it does seem quite decent, although I would believe that a 740QM (1.73ghz base clock) should be fairly easy to obtain nowadays.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I know the recent batch of Asus ROG G53/G73's are coming with I7 740M's now. Never looked into the MSI laptops though.