Page 1 of 2
LastLast

10 man Magmaw Problems

My guild has started to work on Magmaw(10), and we are controling the adds and burning them pretty well, pushing the bosses head down on the pike, and everything. But there is this one small problem. After he gets back up from the spike, he is one shotting a dps. I know Blizzard has changed this fight over the last month some, but I am not sure what we are doing wrong. Does anyone know of a good video that is up to date so I can post it on the guild site, and any ideas how we can solve the one shotting problem? Thanks
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Immediately after the spike phase, there is an aggro dump. Anyone in melee range needs to run out long enough to let the tank pick up threat again.

It's very simple - he resets his threat table after that phase. Make sure your dps stop dps a few seconds beforehand, or even move out of melee range aside from the tank.

Tell the person that is being 1 shotted to check the combat logs to see exactly whats killing them.

This may not be the problem but I've read that if noone is in melee range he goes ballistic and starts killing people.

Deleted
    threat is reset after he is impaled.

tell your dps to chill till second tank picks him up

I'm pretty sure he drops threat after spike. You should have DBM and that will tell you when he is about to break free. Just have all the melee move back for a few seconds so they don't get hit.

I actually had this same problem on our first few attempts on. A quick fix that I found was to dps at his nose. When he comes back up and aggro dumps, you are oor for his melee attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get MDs and have the melee roll defensive cooldowns. That is your best bet. Everytime we kill it thought there is always that one melee...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will relay this information to the guild. I knew it had to be an easy fix. Thanks again
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Deleted
    to me what worked was to tell melee to move out of their normal place when spike comes. So the head comes down and you can dps it from a bit more in the middle of the room. Return to places only after 2-3 secs of head going up.

this plus taunt from tank solved all our problems...

10+ Year Old Account
    This may not be the problem but I've read that if noone is in melee range he goes ballistic and starts killing people.
    Takes 5-10 seconds for him to get mad at the raid and oneshot everybody. Tank has plenty of time to grab him, its the dps that has to watch it out since they will be on lust-mode and smashing keys.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

My guild had a bit of trouble starting off as well. We just had the dps stand behind the tank (5 yds or so) to let him soak the first hit + regain threat. Make sure you move back in fast though because a pillar of flame always spawns ~5 seconds after phase 2

15+ Year Old Account
    if your spamming taunt as he comes out of it, you can usually catch him before he hits a dps.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damson View Post
    threat is reset after he is impaled.

tell your dps to chill till second tank picks him up
    wha? second tank? What do you mean? You use one tank on this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    if your spamming taunt as he comes out of it, you can usually catch him before he hits a dps.
    I've seen it go through once and our rogue got one shot even though I was spamming taunt.

To the OP, MD / tricks the tank and there's no issue.

There are a few ways to get around this issue, My guild had a little bit of a problem with it before we downed him as well.

Option 1: Use a second tank, There is no enrage timer so this does not hurt anything. just makes the fight a little longer. (2nd tank taunts and starts building aggro after the first tank gets Nomnom'd and then switch on Noms.)
    (this is how we down him every week)

Option 2: Have melee/heals stand against the wall to the left of Magmaw. they should still be able to reach him and not be in his melee range.
    (we still do this even with a 2nd tank because it helps with Lightwell positioning)

Also. You only need one ranged outside to pull away the Flame Pillars. but the ranged will need to assist in killing the worms after the kiter has established aggro.

Deleted
    Obviously your tank is not very quick with thinking on his feet.

There are 4 ways that I know to deal with this.

1. Melee standing out of melee range to let tank pick it up again.
    2. After the tank gets impaled, use taunt on the boss BODY, this will give the tank aggro when the boss comes back up. ( Use taunt right before he gets impaled, else it is possible for dps to overaggro you again )
    3. Taunt him before he attacks a target ( completely doable )
    4. If you are a paladin, watch the threat table and use Righteous Defense during the burn phase on whoever had the highest threat. This will give you aggro. Other tanks can probably use AoE taunts but those have CDs.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    With my guild we had melee dps stand near the spike little after he gets up just so tanks could get agro without dps dying. Just put a raid marker and say to melee dps that they must stand there for a few sec for tank to pick up boss

I don't think he actually dumps threat. Looking at Omen after he's back on the tank, the numbers were way too high for it to be an aggro reset. If you jump on the head, however, that does clear your threat.

I think that, if anything, it may take a second for the body to load the threat table back in and actually start obeying it, and there's that short dead time where it's not in play. For us, he was one shotting a paladin healer almost all the time. I actually sat and watched him switch off the tank and pwn the paladin healer after he was already back on the tank, a good 5 seconds after he went active again, and the paladin had taunted.

We solved it by not letting our Fury warrior mount the head anymore. For whatever reason (I'm pretty certain it's threat related, because the Fury warrior racked up MASSIVE threat during the double damage phase), when the body went active again, he would turn and smack the fury warrior (who could survive the hit) and then go back to the tank, and the fight continued as normal.

when he's about to pop back up just have the raid back up and let the tank get aggro again... simple simple.

Deleted
    It's easy.
    When the head is on the spike, the DPS gains a significant DPS increase, which will, after the phase put most DPSers above the tank in threat.
    From that point the tank will need, as other posters has said before, get the threat back again.

However, i think someone mentioned it, when you jump upon his head the agro is wiped for the persons doing it.