10+ Year Old Account

what professions?

Hi all, so I've started leveling a frost mage, hella fun. and i was wondering what other primary profession i should go. currently i have tailoring and skinning (was thinking of the cir bonus) but then realized it's very minuscule compared to what other professions gain. I was thinking about picking up enchanting for the ring enchants.

I'm not sure what other profession would be good for a mage, gold is no issue, so i can buy mats and power lvl any profession.

thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    Tailoring and Engineering provide the largest boost to Mage DPS in PvE. If you want to PvP though, I'd go with Engineering and JC, over Engi/Tailoring.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    I went for herb and inscription, because noone else in my guild has it. Glyphs sell at high prices also.

Enchanting, engineering and jewelcrafting are professions everyone has, and noone needs to have 5 of those, try thinking of what your guild NEEDS, instead of what your bag needs in gold :>

Just.. My thoughts.
    Ofc, if you are not in a guild I would go for what Swizzle says.

I went with tailoring and enchanting. Intellect to rings is nice, and the tailoring enchants are sweet. Plus, you can d/e the stuff you tailoring to give you mats as you level them both.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went for Engineering and Alchemy myself, but then I have a specialized gathering character for both. I find the combo to work rather well, especially as we get new Alchemy trinkets soon. I imagine the most efficient combo is, as was mentioned, Engineering and Tailoring though.

Quote Originally Posted by Labello View Post
    Ofc, if you are not in a guild I would go for what Swizzle says.
    ...What?

Are you implying that 'guild' means 'social bunch of friends'? The main thing of being a guild is completing PvP/PvE content. If you're in a PvE guild, you need to maximize your output as a mage. Meaning, you need to have Tailoring/Engi.

So yeah, if you're in a guild, you must have those two.

Deleted
    Weren't LW ahead of JC in terms of stats ? Or is that JC is more versatile ?

Deleted
    alchemy and leatherworking will have the best passive stats for you with mixology+enchant+alchy trinket.
    jc won't be as good as it is now as soon as epic gems are introduced.
    i don't think that engeneering could be ahead of the boni that alchemy and leatherworking introduce but if someone can actually provide the math on it i gladly stand corrected.

I'm JC/tailoring on my mage. Three 67 int gems, tailoring cloak enchant, and cheap mats for the pants enchant. Besides, everyone needs new gems, once people learn a glyph they don't need it when they get new gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lauryn View Post
    alchemy and leatherworking will have the best passive stats for you with mixology+enchant+alchy trinket.
    i don't think that engeneering could be ahead of the boni that alchemy and leatherworking introduce but if someone can actually provide the math on it i gladly stand corrected.
    (480x12)/60=96 int

96 intellect, without sacrificing anything>>>>>>>>130 intellect with the loss of either crit, haste, or hit (soon to be int also).

96 intellect> 80 intellect from alchemy, so yeah.

After the synapse nerf next patch, it's being brought down to 80 also ((480x10)/60= 80), but coupled with the fact that you don't give up anything by getting the enchant, AND the bonus effect of the Nitro Boosts, Engineering is still better than both alchemy and leatherworking.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by lauryn View Post
    Engineering will provide the largest bonus of all professions if the 4.0.6 goes live in its current state.
    For casters its already awesome right now only for the hand enchant, 480 int every minute fo 12s = 97 int which is better than JC ( 81 int ) or any other non-gathering profession ( 80 int ) besides Leatherworking ( 130 int vs 50 secondary stat which is worse then the main stat for almost all classes )
    After the Patch Leatherworking will be on par with the other professions which will cause engineering to be no1 again

For the Second profession to go together with eng JC will be ideal if youre looking purely for +stat boni, personally i like Alchemy more because of Mixology.
    Dunno about Tailoring for casters though, for melee its bonus is rather weak.

On a last note, Blizz may decide to bring Engineering on the same level as the rest, seeing as they've unified most other profession to gain you a bonus of 80 for your main stat...but even then i would still recommend eng because of all the useful/fun stuff

---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    After the synapse nerf next patch, it's being brought down to 80 also ((480x10)/60= 80), but coupled with the fact that you don't give up anything by getting the enchant, AND the bonus effect of the Nitro Boosts, Engineering is still better than both alchemy and leatherworking.
    Slow typing ftl...
    i overlooked the eng nerf in the patch notes but yeah as you said, its still the most awesome/stylish profession out there