Looking to level a rogue in BGs

I'm looking to dust off my 60 rogue and level it up in BGs. I haven't played a rogue in years (BC era), and basically cant' remember anything of significance about them.

So a few quick questions to help me get started:

What is my best choice for spec going from 60 to 85?
    What type of weapons would I need to use?
    Would I need to farm a large amount of heirlooms in order to hold my own?

Thanks!

Since this is mostly an opinionated question, I'd suggest subtlety til 80. Then at 80 switch to either assassination or combat. I leveled sub to 80 with combat offspec for dungeon trash til I got fok. It worked out pretty well, dominated bg's as sub (got wrecking ball etc.)

Once you hit 80 though, imp recuperate and deadly momentum are pretty big. Sub is still very viable, but for leveling I enjoyed the mindlessness of assassination. You'll probably see many varying opinions so just kinda hop into it I guess and see what best suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by janamb View Post
    Once you hit 80 though, imp recuperate and deadly momentum are pretty big. Sub is still very viable, but for leveling I enjoyed the mindlessness of assassination. You'll probably see many varying opinions so just kinda hop into it I guess and see what best suits you.
    I would, except I'm assuming that you need different weapons depending on spec, so I need to know which heirlooms to buy :P Right now my rogue is in terrible terrible greens.

I'd get the boa daggers. Honestly sub just obliterates until 80.

edit: And perhaps you'd even enjoy it at 80, I just didn't want to be bothered with needing to stun.

Quote Originally Posted by janamb View Post
    I'd get the boa daggers. Honestly sub just obliterates until 80.

edit: And perhaps you'd even enjoy it at 80, I just didn't want to be bothered with needing to stun.
    so dual daggers is the way to go for sub?

And assassination fyi.
    About EP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    With the usual caveats about these numbers being based on a specific set of gear which probably isn't what you're using, such that these answers will be approximately right but not exact
    Vanilla: 60 Shaman
    BC: 70 Rogue, 70 Druid
    Wrath: 80 Druid, 80 Paladin, 80 Shaman, 80 Rogue
    Cata: 85 Rogue (Holmés), 85 Priest (Naclwater)

So far I leveled from 1 to 64 as sub. After that I found that sub's burst just didn't keep up with the steep climb in gear stats (65-69 is where northrend gear starts showing up and health pools jump to about double what they had been). So I have been going the rest of the way as assassination and love it so far (74). The focus on bleeds and spell damage really helped even things out. That and I was just a lot more useful outside of stealth.

I think it's definitely a playstyle thing. Assassination works for sustained damage and makes people in plate laughably easy to kill. Subtlety is great for surprising and often globalling low-armor, low-health targets.

Presently I'm still dreading the 75-79 bracket since cataclysm greens will come into play. If you can afford several from the AH, you'll probably do alright. 75-77 are likely to just be dead levels at that point. It doesn't bother me much since I'm about to hit the honor cap and haven't seen much I want to really get before hitting 85.

Since your rogue is 60, you may consider getting marshal's gear, but you don't necessarily need it. It served me well until I could quest in northrend and buy brutal gear (season 4).

As heirlooms go, they're okay. They stop leveling up at 80, so you'll be replacing them at some point. Heirlooms really aren't much advantage in the 60+ range since it's so easy to get pvp epics (aside from the still expensive wrathful gear). But I have to agree with the others in that if you are to get some, the daggers should be first on your list. I tend to like the 15 agility enchant for them since it doesn't diminish past 60, but I've seen all kinds used.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking about doing this as well. Stupid question, but how do you get gear as you move up? When can you buy honor gear? Or, are you buying crafted gear with a high level character?