Page 1 of 2
LastLast

disabling xp - surely i'm not the only one who thought it would be fun?

remember twinks? back in the day before bg xp you'd get some toons at the top of each pvp bracket (more predominantly 19, 29 and maybe 39) decked out in pretty good gear for those levels, running around wsg or arathi tearing shit up and having a whale of a time. then comes the big news of battleground xp. sweet, another way to level, beats the hell out of questing, i have no complaints there, other than what does this mean for my two twinks? (29 priest and hunter, priest has since given up her pvp glory and is now sat at level 68, pissed off at northrend) then some good news, we can disable xp! awesome. it comes with the stipulation that any bg we enter will be filled exclusively with other toons locked at thier current level. fine i say, nothing wrong with a fair fight. except that there is no fight. maybe it's just my battlegroup, but i waited in a queue for a 'twinks only' wsg and none popped. i levelled skiining and herbs from 150-225 while i waited too. now, go into any regular bg now at low levels and you will see people decked out in heirlooms, gear that will make you way OP for your level. in regular bg's the heirloom guys will mess you up just as much as you'd mess them up if you'd spotted them first. so to my question. would you like to see the rule about separation of regular xp and disabled xp players being separated in bg's lifted?

as a disclaimer i'll add that twinking isn't a major part of my game, just something i like to do on a sunday for fun. my gear on my hunter is the heirloom bow, all the level appropriate pvp gear from wsg and arathi except my melee weapons which are a green AP axe which dropped randomly somewhere and a blue agi + hit fist from SM graveyard. the rest are agi/stam greens from the AH and stam enchants (my own work) where slots allowed
    somebody call for d doctor?

Deleted
    Theres one battlegroup per region that has active twinking going on - try TwinkInfo for details.

Most of the people with heirlooms in non-limited BGs are just having some fun while levelling up.

EDI: and now I realise there arent any battlegroups anymore. That website is still good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Abb View Post
    That website is still good though.
    thanks for the link

I <3 level 70 Brutal twinking. Surely solved the issue of how boring WotLK questing had gotten. I just had to grit my teeth through Outland.

Plus, everyone has the same gear!

10+ Year Old Account
    The truth of the matter is, despite what most people claimed, the motivation behind playing a 'twink' was the ability to steamroll people who were not equally geared.

While many people said they played like that to 'play against others of equal ability', as soon as the XP-off battlegrounds were available, and they were able to play against others of equal ability (or at least, equal intent), they found it wasn't as fun as facemelting people who were just BG'ing while leveling - people who couldn't defend themselves - and gave up.

That's why 'XP-off' battlegrounds aren't as popular as people thought they'd be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Atrea's got it, and the community that claimed they would welcome "twink only" battlegrounds proved it by abandoning their characters as soon as they didn't have a massive advantage over the people leveling through the bracket.

The regular players didn't want to play with twinks. Other twinks didn't want to play with twinks. There's the problem. What's even weirder is that the heirlooms greatly facilitate twinking, and but the twink brackets are still full of tumbleweeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
    Atrea's got it, and the community that claimed they would welcome "twink only" battlegrounds proved it by abandoning their characters as soon as they didn't have a massive advantage over the people leveling through the bracket.
    Not surprising in the least... and I do believe that's why Blizz expressed such discontent with the idea when people were doing it. Righteously so, but I do think that they wanted an alternative to BG XP to solve the problem of 'twinks', considering that from lvl 10 to max you can just grind the hell out of them for XP...

Quote Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
    I dont do twink pvp too. Bu i honestly think there just werent enough twink players so they tried to join, didnt get one and stopped twinking rather than avoiding a challenge.

Learn to use some real sentences and paragraphs. That wall of text is impossible to read.

Learn to give a decent contribution to the topic at hand. - Elyaan.
    Last edited by ELYPOP; 2011-01-16 at 11:06 PM.

@ atrea

the regular bg's at 27-29 i have played, i remebered the opponents in heirlooms. they'd requeue like i would, we'd have epic battles. that being said there's always the quest reward wearing 'just for fun' (i'm there for fun too) level 25 rogue utterly making me look foolish. when he does i don't rage, in bg's there are casualties no matter the gear, just as in real warfare high tech equipment can get foiled by nothing more amazing than sand. back before bg xp if you went into a lowbie bg without at least some extra stam from somewhere you were going down anyway, and most people would prepare accordingly. what's the problem with reintergration?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not opposed to re-integration? I don't know how you'd draw that conclusion from my statement.
    Then again, I wasn't aware that's what you were even talking about. I can't read your mind, and your posts aren't exactly clear.

All I'm saying is that XP-off BG's were a failure, because the crowd to which they were catered, wasn't really interested in playing fair, they were interested in steamrolling people who couldn't fight back, and that's why they were twinks.
    When they had to go up against other people like themselves, and work for it, they got bored.

Obviously it's the hypocrisy of twinks and not the extraordinary long queue times that killed XP-off battlegrounds...

I stopped playing my twinks when my little past-time suddenly required 2 hour+ wait times for a single game. Blizzard made the decision that PVP should give XP and that twinks should be punished for not wanting to gain XP. Since twinking was never widely popular this killed twinking. It has little to do with those who enjoyed twinks.

Deleted
    Heirlooms have basically taken the place of twink gear in the leveling brackets, yeah. At least there are more players per match heirlooming to the best of my memory (can't remember when I last BG'd, let alone leveling BG'd) than there were players twinking - so the odds of being matched up as another overgeared toon rather than a gearless one are higher.

I disapprove of the twinking concept as a whole, since the entire idea of it is to have a character stay in the upper end of one bracket for an eternity, endlessly facerolling the other characters. Sure, heirlooms give you the same advantage, but the idea of playing with them is to level up and reach new brackets. That being said, I avoid PvP as a whole, so you don't have a reason to listen to me in the first place.

Deleted
    If you really wanted to twink you would pay the server change.

Lucky for me, my battlegroup is pretty active at 19. 10 minute queues in the day.

Deleted
    Real twinks were savage WSG was hell if you went in below lv19 even at lv 19 ppl had double your hp/ap/sp

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Obviously it's the hypocrisy of twinks and not the extraordinary long queue times that killed XP-off battlegrounds...

I stopped playing my twinks when my little past-time suddenly required 2 hour+ wait times for a single game. Blizzard made the decision that PVP should give XP and that twinks should be punished for not wanting to gain XP. Since twinking was never widely popular this killed twinking. It has little to do with those who enjoyed twinks.
    Do you know why the wait times are so long?
    Because there aren't many people queueing for it.
    Do you know why there aren't many people queueing for it?
    Because of the hypocrisy of twinks.
    If there were enough people to fill even a single battleground who enjoyed twinking against other twinks you would get a queue.
    Obviously there are not.

So yes, it is the hypocrisy of twinks that killed XP-off battlegrounds.

@ atrea

i apologise, didn't mean to imply anything. all the replies here bar one or two have told me why xp-off bg's are dead, none answering my question of wether the rule should be lifted or not. in a game where fun can be found at the end of many a road, it seems odd that one of those roads was closed off. as for the steamrolling and getting steamrolled, that's trecisely why i got into buffing up a lowbie in the first place you'd get smashed up, go to the AH, then requeue on a level pegging

edit: @ sound asleep - my priest is on misery! but my hunter isn't good to hear there's some action going on somewhere though, will look into it
    Last edited by bobo333; 2011-01-16 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundAsleep View Post
    If you really wanted to twink you would pay the server change.

Lucky for me, my battlegroup is pretty active at 19. 10 minute queues in the day.
    Your battlegroup huh?