Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Pally needing on cloth gear...

I'm leveling a holy paladin with my buddy who is leveling a prot warrior. We have been running a lot of random dungeons and today we queued up specifically for Razorfen Downs, because he needed a shield upgrade, and I wanted a new belt and neck. http://www.wowhead.com/item=10771 drops, and I rolled need on it, since it was an upgrade for the leather quest reward waist I was wearing. I won the roll, and the warlock in group says "wow", to which I reply "sorry, blame blizz, there is no "holy pally" gear until outlands.

Then the rogue, who is barely beating me in damage starts telling me that I should not be rolling on leather, which totally confused me because the item was cloth. I again replied, "There are no alternatives, am I supposed to heal naked?" Well anyway, on the next boss, a piece of plate dps gear drops, and the rogue rolls need just to be a dick, laughs about it, but thankfully my buddy, who rolled need also and could actually equip them, and was going to use them won. I brought this to the rogue's attention, and he said it was the same thing I was doing, to which I replied "You can't even equip plate." He continued to roll need on everything after that, so we vote kicked him for being a tool.

Obviously, if there was a plate equivalent, I would not have rolled on the belt, but at this level, what else am I supposed to do? If they both were not such jerks about it, we would have offered to queue up again for the same instance with them. Do you pass on cloth loot in 5 mans while leveling even when there are no alternatives?

I ran into this a lot when I leveled my holy paladin. You will run into dumb people. I always asked them to link me spell plate in my level range I could equip. Some shut up some kept ranting. Those who kept ranting did not get heals and vote kicked if I could pull it off. Good news is you wont have to be in vanilla long just get to bc upgrade your gear and move on.

This hasn't been discussed before at all.

Anyway, it doesn't particularly matter at this level, but when I was/do level my hybrid classes and something not of my armor class drops, I see if someone who CAN use that armor class rolls need. No, I take it, yes, I pass.

Yes, it's unlucks that blizz doesn't make gear for some specs at that level, but hell, pre-60 you don't even NEED gear. +5 sp isn't going to help much on your heals.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im doing exactly the same, most of the gear on my pala is cloth or leather, sometimes lucky and finding some mail items. A**holes like that rogue excists everywhere, like when I was leveling my priest and we found a rare mob in SM GY, who dropped cloth legs, the tank (Warrior) and pretty much the rest of the group needed on it, because I pulled some mobs by accident and wiped us. I know this isnt the same thing, but blizz could atleast make it impossible for classes who either cant use the item (Like plate on rogue) or dont get any benefit from it (Intelect on warr = awesome?) unnable to need on it.

But what can I say, we are leveling, and the items will most likely be replaced in the next 5-10 levels.

Honestly when i level cloth alts i have lost cloth to holy pallies but i do not gripe, as stated no heal mail or plate til damn outlands. The only real heal plate is t1 and the now defunct t3 and some crafted and heirloom. So i totally feel for the holy leveling, so no they should not have griped about it but either did so out of ignorance, greed or just well plaind douchebagery. Regardless dont worry about it your just gearing in obsolete content to make it easier to level so really no big.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    I ran into this a lot when I leveled my holy paladin. You will run into dumb people.
    Like people levelling as holy and giving a crap about gear?

Quote Originally Posted by japes View Post
    I'm not even sure what your trolling comment is supposed to mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Erm, unless something's changed, to the best of my knowledge, plate wearers can't roll on anything but plate, which makes this whole thing invalid, and rogue's certainly cannot need on plate ?
    Or am I missing something here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixati0n View Post
    Erm, unless something's changed, to the best of my knowledge, plate wearers can't roll on anything but plate, which makes this whole thing invalid, and rogue's certainly cannot need on plate ?
    Or am I missing something here.
    That only applies to Outland and higher dungeons. Before then, there's no armor-class restrictions on needing.

Quote Originally Posted by Töasty View Post
    I'm leveling a holy paladin with my buddy who is leveling a prot warrior. We have been running a lot of random dungeons and today we queued up specifically for Razorfen Downs, because he needed a shield upgrade, and I wanted a new belt and neck. http://www.wowhead.com/item=10771 drops, and I rolled need on it, since it was an upgrade for the leather quest reward waist I was wearing. I won the roll, and the warlock in group says "wow", to which I reply "sorry, blame blizz, there is no "holy pally" gear until outlands.

Then the rogue, who is barely beating me in damage starts telling me that I should not be rolling on leather, which totally confused me because the item was cloth. I again replied, "There are no alternatives, am I supposed to heal naked?" Well anyway, on the next boss, a piece of plate dps gear drops, and the rogue rolls need just to be a dick, laughs about it, but thankfully my buddy, who rolled need also and could actually equip them, and was going to use them won. I brought this to the rogue's attention, and he said it was the same thing I was doing, to which I replied "You can't even equip plate." He continued to roll need on everything after that, so we vote kicked him for being a tool.

Obviously, if there was a plate equivalent, I would not have rolled on the belt, but at this level, what else am I supposed to do? If they both were not such jerks about it, we would have offered to queue up again for the same instance with them. Do you pass on cloth loot in 5 mans while leveling even when there are no alternatives?
    You sir are a ninja. If a cloth wearer needs a cloth piece that drops he has priority over you, a paladin. It would be different if no one wanted it but that is just low. come on man think

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    That only applies to Outland and higher dungeons. Before then, there's no armor-class restrictions on needing.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Havn't done lower dungeons in ages.
    Then yeah, I feel it's fairly harsh to deprive someone of their armor priority in this situation.. I mean, a warlock can't need plate, so why should you take away the only piece of loot that the warlock could want? Tbf, the rogue wasn't really trying to be a dick, he was trying to prove a point as such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MinorityMe View Post
    You sir are a ninja. If a cloth wearer needs a cloth piece that drops he has priority over you, a paladin. It would be different if no one wanted it but that is just low. come on man think
    How is it low? If there is NO alternative item for his healing at that level, then logically both parties are able to put the item to equal use. If the paladin were to pass on every such item, they'd never get anything! How is that any fairer on the paladin than it is unfair on the warlock?

You need to bypass the 'don't roll on other armour because its a taboo' and use some logic to consider that in this particular scenario it's totally reasonable. Think with your brain rather than blindly adhering to concepts buried in your head

---------- Post added 2011-01-17 at 02:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by galileoacosta View Post
    dick move on u, the cloth can only wear cloth u can buy some leather or mail, u my good pally r a dick
    yeah the cloth can only wear cloth, but the paladin IN THIS SCENARIO can only use the cloth too. Use your brain.
    Last edited by Will; 2011-01-17 at 02:31 AM.

I didn't think a rogue could roll need on plate gear. Thought you could only roll need on stuff you can equip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by japes View Post
    have you ever healed low level dungeons? mana isn't friendly. if one did not give a crap about gear, they'd be totally useless. don't be a dick simply because you wouldn't do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by galileoacosta View Post
    dick move on u, the cloth can only wear cloth u can buy some leather or mail, u my good pally r a dick
    Why should he have to buy gear because blizzard poorly itemized low level dungeons? You're an idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xotrem View Post
    I didn't think a rogue could roll need on plate gear. Thought you could only roll need on stuff you can equip.
    as stated in post #9 that only applies to outland or later.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Until Outlands it is more than acceptable as a holy Paladin to need on cloth/leather/mail. As you said, blame Blizzard. I personally did it when i lvled my 2nd pally. Of course I understand the aggravation from the warlock, but that's just tough luck. That is how Blizzard has designed it, so nothing really you can do about it.

People calling players ninja for needing on gear they actually will use in pre outland really shoudl go look up what items are available for paladin and shaman caster / healer, ive lvled both and the gear yuou see even from quest rewards is in 99% of the case mail and leather = agi str items and cloth is for casters and healers. Tho its not the end of the world with gear in low lvls, but its nice to get a upgrade once in awhile.

So you are not a ninja if your a holy pala and roll need on a cloth item that you actually need in low lvl.

if you mean otherwise go trough atlasloot and see all good mail healing items pre lvl 40.

You posted http://www.wowhead.com/item=10771 saying there are NO alternatives.. I spend roughly 3-4 min on WoWhead and find http://www.wowhead.com/item=18702
    You sir, are a ninja.

Edit: Oh but I cant use Plate yet! http://www.wowhead.com/item=55908
    And do note these are BLUE.. There are a crapton more if you count in all the greens.

With that said I wouldnt mind if there hadnt been a clothie needing on it aswell.. But he just paid for your ignorance and while the Rogue certainly was being a douche, that doesnt magically make your actions any more morally justified.
    Last edited by Ershiin; 2011-01-17 at 02:47 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

No, no he isn't. One drop somewhere doesn't invalidate his point, which is that the spell plate drops are few and far between at low levels. I personally leveled as Ret up to 60, just to avoid this issue, but it's definitely there.