Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How do you AOE as fire on a boss like Maloriak f.ex?

Yes, the question is quite simple, which rotation is the best for maximizing AOE on a boss like Maloriak for instance? (Let's assume that combustion is on CD).

What I normally do is pop frostfire orb, and then use blastwave. At this point "impact" has normally proc'ed (if it hasn't I use an instant flamestrike) and I fireblast maloriak to spread ignite and LB, and the possible pyroblast DOT (and perhaps combustion). After this I normally just spam flamestrike and keep spreading ignite with impact.

What I was wondering though is if you have had better results doing something different, like using blizzard instead of spamming flamestrike f.ex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spamming Flamestrike would be the best bet becuz Blizzard doesn't scale with our Mastery or our Fire Specialization choice. Also it doesn't gain some of our talents also. But using Combustion and then Ignite is the best possible AOE dmg you could ever do. I've hit some 30k+ dps before.

So let me get this straight. You want us to assume that you used your combustion at the wrong time and give you advice on it?

Saving combustion for green phase, easy dps

Quote Originally Posted by Makarena View Post
    Saving combustion for green phase, easy dps
    Haven't done heroic so no idea if it's any different, but I've found you can combustion at the very start of the fight and it will be up for the first green phase.

DPS Maloriak, pref with scorchs, right before the green phase. Save your procs until the tank have gathered up the adds, cast pyro!(proc), make sure you have LB up, cast fireblast!(proc) when you get it asap, so the DoT's spreads to the adds, then use blastwave, which I assume you have specced so you cast a Flamestrike at the same time. Then go close, use Dragonsbreath, recast LB+Fireblast!(proc) when LB ticks off, Blastewave again if needed.
    Thats basicly all you need to do to keep around 20-30k AoE dps (depends on your gear.)

@Ieft
    depends on ur luck, I'd rather not use 2300 combustion, but ofc i'm fine to pop 7k'ish one asap

if the adds are still alive for your combustion to do damage you guys are doing it wrong.

Well, to make this short, if your combustion is ticking on the boss, it can deal severe damage to the adds you are going to aoe, if they are close to the boss, as they should be on Maloriak and Halfus.
    "Fire is a hazard,’ says the coward. ‘Fire is a tool,’ says the fool. I say fire is a weapon, a friend, a state of mind, and that the bold man and the craven burn just as fast."

Deleted
    If I spread ignite with impact to a target that already has a different ignite on it, will they stack properly?

Blastwave > LB > Hardcast pyro > impact spread DoTs > Engineering boltgun. If not dead Dragons Breath/Blast Wave again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire Orb does not AOE, aside from the weak explosion long after the adds are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by daydayhyphy View Post
    if the adds are still alive for your combustion to do damage you guys are doing it wrong.
    If the adds can survive a Demo Lock doing 40k and a Frost DK doing 30k dps during green phase, and they survive for a minimum of 10 seconds then your bleeding edge guild must be stacking aoe dps, either that or you're lieing. which one seems likely?
    Noone can go back and change the past, but you can start from now and change the future.

Deleted
    Well I wasn't thinking so much about the combustion/not combustion part, because obviously I wanna spread that to the adds also. I'm not relying on my pyroblast DOT though, as it is simply too risky imo.
    But it does indeed look like spamming flamestrike is the way to go. I must also try the dragon's breath nex time, allthough the adds seems to be dead after a blast wave, a fire blast and a couple of flamestrikes.

Someone mentioned Halfus. If the whelps are up, how do you handle this fight? Normally I just pop fireorb whenever it's off CD, keep 3 LBs up. Whenever they explode, I will re-apply it on my main target and spread it again, so I won't actuelly have it on my main target. Becides that, I blastwave when it's off CD, and flamestrike every 10 secs or so, normally at the same time I spread dots with impact. I will scorch my main target in the meantime to accctuelly have mana for AOE.

Quote Originally Posted by jimme View Post
    Someone mentioned Halfus. If the whelps are up, how do you handle this fight? Normally I just pop fireorb whenever it's off CD, keep 3 LBs up. Whenever they explode, I will re-apply it on my main target and spread it again, so I won't actuelly have it on my main target. Becides that, I blastwave when it's off CD, and flamestrike every 10 secs or so, normally at the same time I spread dots with impact. I will scorch my main target in the meantime to accctuelly have mana for AOE.
    On halfus just pop lust at start start zerging the drake your meant to zerg till you get a good combustion then impact and pewpew 110K DPS fun

Quote Originally Posted by frooste View Post
    On halfus just pop lust at start start zerging the drake your meant to zerg till you get a good combustion then impact and pewpew 110K DPS fun
    Try spreading the dots from Halfus. You might be surprised.

---------- Post added 2011-01-17 at 04:58 AM ----------

Why do people seem to be so against hardcasting pyroblast? Just watch your timer when the green phase is coming up and pyroblast maloriak with about 5 seconds left until phase change.

You guys forgot the most important part.

Reroll a shaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia
    Has anything pushed you to the edge of quitting WoW?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreall
    Long Distance relationships and Justin Bieber

Quote Originally Posted by Seefourdc View Post
    Try spreading the dots from Halfus. You might be surprised.

---------- Post added 2011-01-17 at 04:58 AM ----------

Why do people seem to be so against hardcasting pyroblast? Just watch your timer when the green phase is coming up and pyroblast maloriak with about 5 seconds left until phase change.
    same time u can delay using ur hs proc on pyroblast untill its almost transition.
    Very true about spreading dots from halfus, u will do even more dps this way lol since u gotta do 100% more dmg and ur dots (ignite, pyro, lb) will ahve dmg increased on normal targets (i.e drakes)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitzleplick View Post
    If the adds can survive a Demo Lock doing 40k and a Frost DK doing 30k dps during green phase, and they survive for a minimum of 10 seconds then your bleeding edge guild must be stacking aoe dps, either that or you're lieing. which one seems likely?
    you dont need the best aoe classes. they take double damage during green phase and all you have to do is have everyone switch to them. they go down instantly. learn fight before doing it. thanks

In the green Phase cast some Fireballs on Maloriak before he even jumps and hope for a 50-60k Crit, when he is vulnerable. Then (talented) Blastwave which will almost surely grant you an Impact proc, then Combustion on Maloriak and Fire Blast. After that spam Flame Strike until the Adds are down, which shouldn't last long.
    This is the theory, practically if you don't get a good crit, then spread a low Combustion, better than nothing.

But this green adds are easy, wait until you try hardmode and have to kill the black adds and you fail your Combustion, this is what sucks.

Feel free to commend in my thread if you are from EU http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1498670616 or copy&paste it into US forums if you can, hopefully they will change the Impact/Combustion mechanic in 4.0.6