15+ Year Old Account

Looking for a good demonology warlock guide

Hey folks, just looking to prepare my lock for what's to come at 85; He's only level 45 right now but I like to see things before I learn them, and I usually put placeholder icons on my bars so it doesn't look foreign by the time I'm high level. I'm looking for a guide that's:
    -Finished
    and
    -Not from before day 1 of Cataclysm release.

I found this thread on EJ but it's a little disjointed and out-dated; http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t110366-...within/#Glyphs
    Every time I google for a guide I either get incomplete/open-ended guides or guides from 4.0.1 or 2008 or something.

From the EJ thread I know the skeleton of the DPS priority (although I'm assuming shadowbolt will be obsolete with the changes to shadow and flame in 4.0.6).
    What I'm mostly concerned with is what to do when in demon form and whether to save cooldowns for when I'm in demon form. Is the demon form rotation the same (aside from AoE)?
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Well i don't also know a full guide but i think i can give you heads up about Metamorphosis.You should use it whenever its avaible, cuz with talent it's cooldown reducing with some of our spells.There can be some situations where you shoul wait for it before using, like if you know you will get Bloodlust,Heroism,Timewarp etc.and/or waiting for a trinket to get off cd and etc.other than that its best to use it whenever it is possible, at least from my experience.

Use Meta and demon soul together if possible. When in meta go at max melee range and cast immolation, recast immolate or corruption if expiring, shadowflame and fillers. With 4.0.6 soulfire will be out of the rotation

SB will remain as the demo filler, incinerate only during molten core procs - i don't think anythings changed regarding gearing and stuff, demon within thread seems pretty much up to date, aside from the fact you should only aim for 25% passive haste raidbuffed for that breakpoint on immolate, the 50% one will be impossible to reach now in current tier

The EJ thread is not outdated. Not sure how you got that idea. Check the bottom: Last edited by Jmickey : 01/10/11 at 10:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the link Jenerena; some questions regarding other posts-
    -Is soul fire out of the rotation completely? Or will it still be used in execute phase?
    -Why is shadow bolt still going to be the filler? Doesn't Incinerate do more damage (with Immo up) and also have a shorter cast time? I'm just judging that based on the glyphed incinerate using tooltips from WoWhead, so am I missing something (does shadow bolt have a better SP modifier?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenzor View Post
    The EJ thread is not outdated. Not sure how you got that idea. Check the bottom: Last edited by Jmickey : 01/10/11 at 10:03 AM.
    It just feels disjointed and doesn't mention any prospective changes to rotation in the PTR; so it's not as current as it could be, and still leaves the metamorphosis usage with some open ends.
    Last edited by Snes; 2011-01-17 at 11:42 AM.

1) Until 4.0.6 improved soul fire buff must be always up. After the patch isf will be moved to tier3 - reachable only by destro. Switching pets may be a greater dps boost than 3 istant soulfire with no 15% haste.
    2) Sb is a longer cast so "should" scale better with spell power e.g: more direct damage

Quote Originally Posted by Elvy View Post
    Use Meta and demon soul together if possible. When in meta go at max melee range and cast immolation, recast immolate or corruption if expiring, shadowflame and fillers. With 4.0.6 soulfire will be out of the rotation
    Personally I don't after the first meta/DS because they just don't line up and I worry I'm going to lose a meta over a long fight by delaying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    Personally I don't after the first meta/DS because they just don't line up and I worry I'm going to lose a meta over a long fight by delaying it.
    ^ This. Watch your cooldown timers and see if it's worth the wait. Sometimes it will be, more often it wont.

Also, with using Succubus, I hang fire on Demon Soul until I've got ISF going, stacked my DoTs and actually into spamming Shadow Bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    It just feels disjointed and doesn't mention any prospective changes to rotation in the PTR; so it's not as current as it could be, and still leaves the metamorphosis usage with some open ends.
    Because the PTR isn't live yet and is still open to change

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Thanks for the link Jenerena; some questions regarding other posts-
    -Is soul fire out of the rotation completely? Or will it still be used in execute phase?
    -Why is shadow bolt still going to be the filler? Doesn't Incinerate do more damage (with Immo up) and also have a shorter cast time? I'm just judging that based on the glyphed incinerate using tooltips from WoWhead, so am I missing something (does shadow bolt have a better SP modifier?)
    Soulfire will definately be used during execute.

Incin vs. Sbolt has been discussed in the apparently outdated EJ guide. Sbolt has a higher DPET than Incinerate. If you sim a normal rotatioin, then sim again with Incin filler, you will find that DPET of Incin, averaged out with MC procs, is still lower than Sbolt.

I refuse to update any guides until it's live. At this point in time anything is open to change on the PTR and isn't worth my time. Not sure what you mean by the meta usage section having some open ends, if you have a suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

I find that they are almost always within 15-20 seconds of each other, although everyones experience will be different, but when they are that close, not waiting and using them separately will be a DPS loss, possibly more significant than you think.
    Last edited by Jmickey; 2011-01-17 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmickey View Post
    I find that they are almost always within 15-20 seconds of each other, although everyones experience will be different, but when they are that close, not waiting and using them separately will be a DPS loss, possibly more significant than you think.
    I'll keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure mine are rarely that close due to the RNG around impending doom but I'll test this on the dummy for around 8 minutes later and see how this might affect overall meta uptime - I would assume a full meta is worth more dps than having one less meta but DS stacked every time. I'm pretty sure on most fights I don't just hit meta off cooldown anyway due to movement etc, so they often catch up with each other.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you factor in movement phase delays, they will always line up. However, if you don't use it on cooldown and have meta come off cooldown as the target dies, it would have been a DPS increase to not wait.

I don't have exact numbers, but I personally don't wait ever. I know some who glance and will wait if the diff is 10s or less, but that's entirely haste dependant (more haste = lower cooldown via impending doom)

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account
    Does haste decrease the duration of DoTs in addition to how fast they tick? If so, is bane of doom affected?
    "In addition to all DoTs now benefiting from haste innately, haste now reduces the time between ticks, only reducing the DoTs duration until an extra tick is received."
    That's the part I'm confused about. So stacking haste gives you more ticks AND shortens the duration of the DoT, meaning you have to refresh DoTs more and more often depending on how much haste you have? I have some haste but my spell tooltips stay the same; ie: Corruption still lasts exactly 18s.
    Edit: nvm I figured it out
    Last edited by Snes; 2011-01-18 at 05:17 AM.