Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    i did 2 hc´s as a shaman healer yesterday, both dungeons had similar geared groups.

one had a pally tank and a shadow priest dps, so there i had alot of extra healing and replenishment.
    the other had a Warrior tank, boomkin and fire mage, i had no replenishment and no extra healing.

the first one went without a hitch, deadmines run through pretty nice with only one dps dying when getting hit by harvest..
    the other, Halls of Origin , i was always oom from having to spam heal them, and no, it was not just dps standing in fire and stuff. had possibly 4 wipes there

i finished both dungeons but something as simple as having a shadow priest in a grp can do wonders , i even sometimes try to get a spriest friend to queue with me :P

DK have ridiculously good selfhealling because they also have Very Low Armor , 31k unbuffed in full 359 on the otherhand, a druid bear has 44k (on the ptr atm), so they compensate the lack of Armor with More CDs and More Selfhealing,i like it to be honest. Pally can always use WoG has an OSHIT button IMO, but its somewhat sad now that their selfhealing is a player choice and not an automatic mechanic like a warrior taking dmg has chance to heal himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansow View Post
    Self-healing is a short defensive cooldown. It's everyone's job to do everything they can to ensure success. Anything less is unacceptable.
    I agree completely. A class should be played to the best of ones ability, which in most cases is using most of their abilities. Like you said, it shouldnt matter who does what, but aslong as things are run smoothly and efficiently, everyone should be damn well happy.

Deleted
    I'm i Paladin and in raids I use WoG for self heal, got it specced aswell.
    But never never ever use Seal of Insight I always use Seal of Truth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meizor View Post
    Mage would like a word with you.
    True, I can confirm that mages are not able to use First Aid. Is that a bug? The only class I see using bandages are rogues and me (paladin).

I am tank, my job is not just to hold aggro, it is my job to let everybody live the fight. That could mean that I have to reposition, do more threat, or help healing (with an instant) as much as I can and / or bandage during transition phases.

Deleted
    i only use WOG and seal of insight on trash cause since i no longer use CC for them, has for bosses i need seal of truth for aggro and 10 expertice and SOTR for extra aggro i could use WOG on emergencies but its your job to heal me, i have 70% avoidance if you cant heal me its cause you are not geared for HCs or raids. and be awere that less expertice means more boss parrys wich means more hits on the tank since when a boss parrys it resest is swing time (unless they nerffed it on this expansion)

Deleted
    yes, all shuld self heal IF the threat is good, easy as that =)

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    and be awere that less expertice means more boss parrys wich means more hits on the tank since when a boss parrys it resest is swing time (unless they nerffed it on this expansion)
    Parry haste has been nerfed. It's been that way for a while.

Deleted
    As for Pally tanking i use this method: Due to wast amount of mana used by Holy Wrath + Spam of HoTR Seal of Truth isn't
    working well, instead i use Seal of Insight so i can even put down some consecrate on bigger packs. I pop up Wings to
    get initial aggro fast, then i use 3hp on SoTR and then i usually do WoG's when i get 3 HP, don't forget that self
    healing generates aggro to! Occasional i throw Hand of Salvation on some overzalous dps, aggro isn't problem, so i think
    self healing for pallies can be done without sacrifice threat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    i only use WOG and seal of insight on trash cause since i no longer use CC for them, has for bosses i need seal of truth for aggro and 10 expertice and SOTR for extra aggro i could use WOG on emergencies but its your job to heal me, i have 70% avoidance if you cant heal me its cause you are not geared for HCs or raids. and be awere that less expertice means more boss parrys wich means more hits on the tank since when a boss parrys it resest is swing time (unless they nerffed it on this expansion)
    Actually you have 70% avoidance + mitigation, which imo isn't even that high. And parry haste has been nerfed quite long ago.

No one says you have to use WoG when your healer is just standing there basically waiting to do something. But it's quite stupid to just say it's their problem and responsibility to keep you up.

Deleted
    I usually use my self-healing when I feel it is necessary. In heroics I have only had to do it with shit healers so far. In raids I use it every cooldown on some encounters.

Success should be priority #1 on everyone's list. I'm a healer and I'm not hit capped but that doesn't stop me from CCing mobs, interrupting and purging.

If I wanted to confine myself to a single role I would just put up green numbers and maybe cleanse. If I want to win I heal, cleanse, interrupt/ground spells, slow mobs, Purge buffs, CC multiple mobs (when possible), help people recover from fails, mark mobs, explain fights, time MTT for maximum mana return for myself and other healers (in raids) and even DPS if the time calls for it. Do you want to run with a healer or a winner?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewragg View Post
    I'm glyphed rune tap and hit it when the party/raid is 75% or lower as often as i can to help out the healer(s). work as a team !
    I agree, I do the same, it helps alot

I think a tank should self heal, it is great, however not a must. I use victory rush a lot and it is REALLY usefull.
    For example when fighting a boss with adds (especially when those adds doesn't have a high health pool) I can use AoE abilites such as Cleave, Thunderclap(with a rend pherhaps) and Shockwave to kill the add, proccing Victory Rush. It is great for making the healers job easier. I also reccomend Enraged Regeneration, Thunderclap and Demoralizing Shout to decrease damage taken. Stuns, Disarm, Spell Reflect and interrupts are great as well to do what you do, staying alive and protecting your allies.

1. If a healer is mad because anyone wants to self-heal (especially a tank) because its their "job" or they are "wasting mana"...well that makes no sense to an encounter whatsoever imo. Unless a dps is spending time self-healing and an enrage timer is a problem. I will use WoG if my health gets below 70% or so on myself or if i need topped off for a big incoming hit.
    2. The only time im using Seal of Insight is if I am trying to solo something or im healing, NEVER tanking in a dungeon or raid.....SoT or your a baddie.
    3. RARELY will i use LoH on anyone but myself (because as a tank i usually am the first to need it). However i will use it on a healer occasionally when needed,....for a dps? Hello no!

Quote Originally Posted by Luminar View Post
    4. From my experience, a Paladin tank using Seal of Insight is terrible since dps are pulling every 5 seconds due to poor threat generation. Seal of Insight is the HOLY seal. When you judge it, you get mana and the glyph increases healing done, if it wasn't obvious enough.
    This is turning into a common fallacy. Seal damage is nerfed in Cataclysm. Seal of Truth only make up about 10% of a prot paladin's overall DPS. That's a miniscule amount of single target threat.

Tanks self healing is somewhat built into their overall mitigation balance. Ferals and DK's get auto heals and/or absorbs simply doing their normal rotation.

Dps self healing is not as important and can lead to the fight taking that much longer (actually increasing overall incoming dmg) and put more pressure on the healer's mana pool. Dps shaman chain healing, locks drain life spamming, or dps dk's favoring (FAVORING, as in more then once in a while) death strike can all cause more harm then good.
    Last edited by openair; 2011-01-18 at 10:44 PM.