Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminar View Post
    I usually keep it on the tank, although I may occasionally swap it.

Thanks to the Glyph of Beacon of Light, the only penalty for swapping Beacon around is a gcd.
    beacon of light only costs about 1405 mana anyway so the glyph is rather insignificant for it's 5 minute duration and single target use.
    Last edited by Borigrad; 2011-01-18 at 09:38 PM. Reason: beacon of light mana cost
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post
    thats like doing math, you could answer all the questions for someone, sure they pass but they haven't learned anything, and then when your not around on the big tests(in this case raids) they fail miserably because they haven't learned anything new, and you were doing all the work.
    Agreed.
    To clarify when i say i'm glad i can't save everyone now. I mean i'm glad that dps is forced to improve their performance... i'm not glad that they had to die to learn that lesson in the first place.
    I still always try to save them.

Quote Originally Posted by nysaa View Post
    Agreed.
    To clarify when i say i'm glad i can't save everyone now. I mean i'm glad that dps is forced to improve their performance... i'm not glad that they had to die to learn that lesson in the first place.
    I still always try to save them.
    oh i am totally with you, when your healing someone and they die right as the cast goes off, you take it personally cause it feels like the game slapped you in the face. But i don't take sympathy on people if they die standing in the fire and they don't get the heal. I do get a little annoyed with myself and the game and see it as a challenge to improve myself or get more haste.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

As a holy pally you are the defender of the defenseless, and the stupid. It comes with the job. People fuck up, and if they do and they do it consistently you:
    1st. Ask them why. Some people need their hand held. You gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.
    2nd. Flip the fuck out on them. Not a bad alternative by no means, but it always feels good to threaten someone with no heals too. Always makes my day.

So option 1 or 2. Your gonna find terrible groups in the LFD tool, it's RNG. But your also gonna find some really good ones. When the good ones come along, it makes it all worth it. And for the bad ones, am I the only one who enjoys feeling like they just carried a group to victory. Never be ashamed to gloat as a healer, if someone screws up and you save the day like superman, have some fun with it. DPS go off all the time about their damage, and they are a dime a dozen. Go into the group and mark your territory. Nothing makes me feel better then joining a group with "Hi. My name is Worzor and I'll be your carry this evening. Tips are appreciated but not expected." Of course, you better have the bark to back up your bite.

Edit: And regarding the actual topic of this thread. Yes, Beacon the tank or your doing it wrong.

Deleted
    My beacon of light is put on to the most important target at that time. This could be a MT or a clothie with an important job to do who just can not be allowed to die.

So just think about the job at hand and what your task may be.

Regards keeping DPS up - well I fancy myself as a good healer and tbh I enjoy pugs testing me out, so bring on the big, bad and ugly every time. Easy runs are boring. That being said, after we have wiped/survived I'll always point out what went wrong and that if people want to be kept alive then they are going to have to keep more aware. Besides most people don't make mistakes on purpose.

If DPS have aggro, shove a Salv on them. If they are taking needless dmg then shove a BOP on them. You may even need to do both!! :O

Remember you are a healer, your job is to heal. Worry about teaching people a lesson afterwards.

And lastly to reiterate, pugs are random and that brings risks - that's

oh i do it to, i usually say, Hi i'm your healer i can choose who lives or dies, so don't piss me off. When i tank gets cocky i tell them they aren't needed because i have enough skill to carry a plate dps through a mob so they have to learn their place.

Deleted
    I have given my healers in my raid group a tip (2 palas) that they should beacon the tank that they are not directly healing for that 50% extra heal on the other tank but one of them is claiming that it does not matter, they still get 50% if you heal "your" beacon.
    And i dont want do get in a dispute but as far as i can understand you ONLY get the 50% extra if you heal someone else and not the one with "your" beacon on. would be nice with feedback on the matter ( would be bad if i keep asking them to do so if its wrong)

here is the tooltip:

Beacon of Light
    6% of base mana 60 yd range
    The target becomes a Beacon of Light to all members of your party or raid within a 60 yard radius. Each heal you cast on party or raid members will also heal the Beacon for 50% of the amount healed. Only one target can be the Beacon of Light at a time. Lasts 5 min.¨

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    I put my Beacon on the Tank always if I heal the Tank with HL my MSBT shows me Hl light heal and shortly after the 50% from the Beacon.

Is my MSBT wrong?

I will try to make a screenshoot today shouldn't be a Problem ^^

Deleted
    @Topic: I Beacon the target with the most dmg-input, mostly maintank.

@50%-problem : i have no clue, never noticed SCT showing an extra 50% heal when healing the beacon... anyone able to clear this up?

@dps-die: As a healer u want to get basically your complete group through an encounter / instance. I Do.
    but let the herp derps die in avoidable dmg, let them fail. But always tell them, why they failed, what was going on.
    I´ll bring up the "projected textures"-option... maybe they are just not able to see something on the ground or whatever.

Code:
    If (mood == "good")
    {
      tell them once.
      tell them twice.
    }
    else
      tell them once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so this is what I learned

I put Beacon of Light on a friend of mine
    I heal him for 14.2k
    the Protector of the Innocent heals me for 5k
    Then I heal BoLtarget for half of the Protector of the Innocent wich i see as a beaconed heal @ my MSBT
    Never looked at the numbers so I was thinking I can heal the BoL and get the 50% extra heal -.-
    Here is the Picture

and the MSBT picture

and yes ont he seocnd picture i used DL but you get the point ^^

I usually stick to putting beacon on the main tank. Although i have found myself throwing it on one of the OT's during the malorack or whatever the vial boss is. I also throw it on the gong guy during the blind dragon for giggles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your best best is, if you have a guild group, or a good group in general. Heal the tank and place it on one of the melee. When my guild does 5mans we trying putting together a group with 2 ranged 1 melee and a tank and healer. Works out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    Letting a failing dps die as healer makes you a failing healer too. That way you are as bad as the dps
    No, it just means you're not a massively overgeared healer. If being able to routinely save dps that is failing to avoid or prevent unnecessary damage is somehow mandatory for being considered a "non-fail" healer, then Blizz has completely failed in their design to make healing non-trivial. We know from mountains of firsthand evidence in current healing situations that this is not the case at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    It's dps job NOT to over agrro, not standing in fire and NOT taking tanks heals..
    So if the DPS isn't doing his job(Getting out of fire, not over-aggroing) right, that's horrible and he deserves a vote kick.. but when the healer decides to be a baby and not do his job (Healing people), that's totally fine?

If you're a healer and just feeding bad DPS with heals they will NOT learn how to play.
    I doubt they'll learn how to play if they spend the majority of their time dead because you didn't heal them.

Oh, and to the OP: I almost always have Beacon on the tank. I just think I can get the most use out of it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampantsoto View Post
    Once Vin Diesel is an adult I will feed him more than just crickets

Beacon the tank, BoP that retarded warrior the first time he pulls and is about to die. If he doesnt get the hint then, let him die. There are really very few times that I would not have beacon on the tank.

OP - Beacon the tank, heal the dps as needed. If one of the dps consistently stands in the fire, kick him eventually you will get a dps that knows what he/she is doing.

As the eloquent Ron White stated - You can't fix stupid. (Don't try)

Err..

You want your beacon placed on someone who will be taking consistent damage. Therefore you need to consider tanks and other players who for long periods of time might be taking tank-like damage due to mechanics.

That's really all there is to it- how you decide which tank to beacon or who or w/e depends on your comp, strat, and of course the encounter.