Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Nothing in the guild rep post about PvP though....maybe if you got rep through HKs during guild arenas and rated bgs? I dont want to be forced to do boring as hell dailies just to gain guild rep.

Quote Originally Posted by dulci5 View Post
    I miss being a newb when I read that comic

As the guy behind it writes, sometimes its good to play some single player RPGs like Mass Effect (and in my case, Oblivion) to give you that epic feeling of quests n stuff back.. Also watch Zero Punctuations new Cataclysm video, it tells teh truth just like that comic does
    I don't know, I usually still get that. I'm very much a "fantasy" person though. I actually dislike the modern seventh-gen graphics because they approach the uncanny-valley for me, it kills immersion. WoW is much better because it's graphics aren't detailed enough to tell the whole story, the brain has to fill in. So for me, WoW > Mass Effect III, graphically. I know, sounds weird. It's just about immersion, there's a point where I think it's more like a movie, less like a medium wanting me to use my brain, like a book or game.

Also, I never ever ever spoiler stuff before I saw it, it completely knocks down immersion. When we reach a new boss I usually got videos and all open in the background, but first comes wipe, then reading up. No killing immersion.
    SQUEAK.
    --(The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    Also if you're buying a new system right now, there's really no reason to get 2x2GB RAM because the cost of 2x4GB isn't much more and it won't be long before 4GB is a bit of a bottleneck, if it isn't already.
    Not really.

32 bit programs (which includes effectively every game still) cannot use more than 2GB. That means that no matter how demanding the game is, 2 GB is always left for the OS and background programs. The game itself has to be programmed not to require or exceed 2GB - lest it will crash.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-01-18 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carighan View Post
    I don't know, I usually still get that. I'm very much a "fantasy" person though. I actually dislike the modern seventh-gen graphics because they approach the uncanny-valley for me, it kills immersion. WoW is much better because it's graphics aren't detailed enough to tell the whole story, the brain has to fill in. So for me, WoW > Mass Effect III, graphically. I know, sounds weird. It's just about immersion, there's a point where I think it's more like a movie, less like a medium wanting me to use my brain, like a book or game.

Also, I never ever ever spoiler stuff before I saw it, it completely knocks down immersion. When we reach a new boss I usually got videos and all open in the background, but first comes wipe, then reading up. No killing immersion.
    I really hate raiding with people like you.... thanks for wasting my time. Don't really feel like spending an hour standing around doing nothing while the raid leader gets an ulcer trying to explain how to not stand in fire to people like you.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    We don't think burst is a problem in PvP right now.

Excellent builds chaud. Solid quality parts from really decent companies. Good work ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    the comic is true but also irrelevant.. of course when you first start playing everything is awsome and exciting, but as with any game your going to at some point become to well immersed with everything and know everything you need to know thats just unavoidable. and the game is still like that for any new player. (this might be what the illustrator of the comic is implying that we already know, but some of the posts make it seem like people think that the game changed somehow and became less interesting, when really you just have played it enough to make it very predictable).

Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    Why bother with 3D screens when you can use this:
    Because the major selling point of a 3D monitor isn't the 3D. It's the 120hz. There's a reason 3D monitors are packaged now in two configurations. One more expensive with the 3d glasses setup and one without. 3D gaming is a gimmick and mostly pointless. 120hz gaming isn't. It's slowly getting back to the levels of CRT goodness without the 90lb crt.

My biggest issue with guild rep is that the more rep you grind with your guild, the more likely you are to never leave that guild. You essentially become trapped in that guild, because who wants to grind themselves up from neutral in another guild?!

It'd be nice if there were some sort of compromise like when you leave your guild and join a new guild then 50% of your old guild rep is applied to the new guild or something along those lines. Of course, some idiots would abuse any system like that and would ruin it for the rest of us. This is why we can't have nice things.

My point is that I understand the point in having a barrier to prevent people from jumping between guilds with no consequences, but right now there is very little incentive to leave a guild, even if it is full of drama and makes you miserable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trapped in the vortex. Thank goodness we have broadband here though.
    Quote Originally Posted by stupid11 View Post
    I really hate raiding with people like you.... thanks for wasting my time. Don't really feel like spending an hour standing around doing nothing while the raid leader gets an ulcer trying to explain how to not stand in fire to people like you.
    The second half of the comic applies specifically to you.
    Television, in their stomachs. Now that, is evolution.

"A picture paints a thousand words" - That comic is a wonderful example.

But do not give up readers, this is not a fate you need to condemn yourselves too. Those with the self awareness can bring back a lot of that early unique fun. Simply approach the game in a different way, set yourself informal guidelines. Experience the zones and the quests in the way they are most fun, atleast for the first play through. Only Wowhead and Wiki that which will not be detrimental to your experience.

I do this, and I can lovingly enjoy the experience of Mount Hyjal while still being uptodate with game changes, druid guides and profession benefits. :-)

People like you lower the little faith I have left in humanity. I wouldn't want to even spend an hour standing in a room trying to have a conversation with people like you. See what I did there?

Actually I've heard/read you'd be better of buying 2x 6850 in crossfire then 1x6970/nvidia equivalent, for about the same price

Edit: I dont know whether this applies to WoW or not...

One thing to note about the computer configurations... it's kind of worthless to buy the i7 over the i5 given that it doesn't really perform better given the ~$90 price premium on it. Better yet, in WoW benches... the i5 actually beat the i7. I personally went with an i5-2500K when I built a Sandy Bridge machine and there's no buyer's remorse here .

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Not really.

32 bit programs (which includes effectively every game still) cannot use more than 2GB. That means that no matter how demanding the game is, 2 GB is always left for the OS and background programs. The game itself has to be programmed not to require or exceed 2GB - lest it will crash.
    We had a bit of a discussion on this in some computer thread earlier. Given the price of RAM (it's pretty darned cheap right now) and how most users don't just game on their fancy new PCs, it never hurts to have excess RAM available. Also, if you play StarCraft II, last time I played the campaign, I had the game reaching nearly 3GB of RAM used . Right now, I've got 2GB of RAM used and WoW isn't even open!

Quote Originally Posted by keLston View Post
    Because the major selling point of a 3D monitor isn't the 3D. It's the 120hz. There's a reason 3D monitors are packaged now in two configurations. One more expensive with the 3d glasses setup and one without. 3D gaming is a gimmick and mostly pointless. 120hz gaming isn't. It's slowly getting back to the levels of CRT goodness without the 90lb crt.
    I couldn't agree more
    I despise this "new" 3D boom in movies and in games. It's like every 30 years people forget how lame it was - 50's, 80's, and now 10's
    Nintendo's 3DS looks mildly interesting with the no glasses 3D. Definitely a try before I buy though.

The $150 monitor looks like a steal, I'll be getting one for a second monitor so I don't have to have netfix in a tiny window while I do archeology/level alts/do dailies/etc...

The fact about new CPUs and GPUs not coming out anytime soon is incorrect!! AMD's new Bulldozer core processors are coming out within the next couple of months and will cause price drops in the Sandy Bridge processors, as well as being very cost-efficient themselves (as AMD always is =_=)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keLston View Post
    LOL 3d everything is a gimmick. thats the point of it more money the last few years have had so much 3d crap it's starting to get old and irritating. You are completely correct about the 120hz

Deleted

Smile

People like you should stick to FPS and never touch an RPG game again.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If any new raid is finished in 3 hours 1 month after release something is wrong. Just look at naxx, If your going to raid this early in an expansion set aside about 5-6 hours for a full run possibly more. Not every one want's to read strats before the first time, I sure as hell don't. Also you don't have to worry about a lot of the players who enjoy figuring out their own strats, they are not in your pugs.

What's with the dolphin unicorn and all that stuff? any reason with the names??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Carighan View Post

This is so true. When graphics get better, your brain stops working and dreaming. This is the reason, why SNES-RPGs like "Secret of Mana" or "Terranigma" etc. still rule! The games look very old, but for my generation, it's like reading a book. You only get a few information about the "look" and the "feeling" and the rest is up to your imagination. In WoW a "city" consists of two huts, a letterbox and - if you're lucky - an inn-keeper. The only "real" cities are the main cities of each race. But that's okay, because in your imagination, Goldshire expands to a real little village.