Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkh View Post
    If u want a simple awsher on "SSD VS HDD", it is, fuck yeah it worth it, no moving parts, less power consumption, MUCH better speed, outperforms ALL HDDs
    Your language aside..
    Of course an SSD will be better than HDD. That's a no-brainer.
    However.
    Will it be better once price/GB is considered? I'd say no, depending on the SSD of choice. I don't think we'll ever reach a time where we'll be totally independent from mechanical drives (.. if price at all matters).

In a few years, the SSDs availible to the masses might reach the capacities of current mechanical drives. But for the current SSD-prices? 10x more?
    And how far ahead will mechanical drives be in storage/drive at that point?

It still comes to the point of mechanicals VS SDD.

Alot of SSDs are considered cheap if u look at it from a diff point as in Raid 0 mechanicals , u still cant get a SSD just for a OS drive and that is all u will ever need.

Before i switched to SSD's i thought they were pretty expensive so i just bought a Intel 40g tested it out. Since then i never looked back.

Now all my mechanical drives are just storage. So from my stand point , you get what u pay for.

SDD's life line is all depends on how u use it. For me its just mostly read or 1 time install progs on them.

End of it all its worth it to spend that extra cash on SSD's if u have it.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Let me say it again: SSDs are the single best upgrade you can do for current computers. We aren't talking FPS increases, we are talking overall computer experience, by far the best. No amount of RAM, CPU Speed increase (barring a drastic change, like from p4 1.7 Wilmette Core to Core i7), Video Card or MB will show you the amount of difference in computer response and load times that an SSD will. None.
    If you say so. I still don't see $120 worth of difference. :P
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Your language aside..
    Of course an SSD will be better than HDD. That's a no-brainer.
    However.
    Will it be better once price/GB is considered? I'd say no, depending on the SSD of choice. I don't think we'll ever reach a time where we'll be totally independent from mechanical drives (.. if price at all matters).

In a few years, the SSDs availible to the masses might reach the capacities of current mechanical drives. But for the current SSD-prices? 10x more?
    And how far ahead will mechanical drives be in storage/drive at that point?
    If price/GB is a major factor, SSD will always lose. Not hard to say no if you set your criteria up such that you can only answer no. All I can say is good riddance to the mechanical whine of aging spinning disks.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I can say is good riddance to the mechanical whine of aging spinning disks.
    We talking IDE disks here? Because my 320gb Barracuda is like 4 years old and still quiet enough that I can't hear it over my single-fan case >_>
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-01-19 at 07:48 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    We talking IDE disks here? Because my 320gb Barracuda is like 4 years old and still quiet enough that I can't hear it over my single-fan case >_>
    I have an old 60 gig WDC that sounds like a refridgerator! Works like a charm though, and I don't think it was ever quiet.

I also have a couple 8 and 16 gig Quantum drives that are really quiet for their age.
    red panda red panda red panda!