Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Can we Please use the same CC symbols

I'd like to start off by saying that I for one love the new difficutly of the Heroics. Having to CC (until better geared) has brought back more of a challenge to organization and alertness to the game that i thought was missing for all of wrath.

That being said, i'm findint it more and more of an annoyance when i go into a group and the CC symbols used are different all the time. I'm from the BC mindset still where sheep is always moon, square is trap, diamon is sap, etc.... I think the only constant is that skull is first, i've even seen X used as a cc marker. I can already imagine that many of you are thinking 'it's just a heroic, it's not that hard to keep track of one symbol' or 'if you don't like it, you mark it' and i would agree for the most part. However, when you are in a group where you are out numbered by a guild from another server, they usually don't take to kindly to suggestions from the pug dps. Also, i have seen many many instances fail because after the 2nd or 3rd pull people are ccing the wrong thing and the loose add causes a wipe. The obvious/easiest solution would be to have a different symbol per form of CC (not just by class because there are several classes with multiple CC). Unfortunately, there are not that many symbols available, and i can't see blizzard putting in that many more.

What i'm hoping for as far as feedback is of course suggestions to macro/mark maybe before each of the first few pulls, or maybe the name of an addon that (if one exists) scans the group make up/talents (is the hunter spec'd for sleep) and assigns the targets based on available CC. The last option seems too easy and starts leaning more towards defeating the difficutly/challenge of having the CC and so you see my problem.

I use LuckyCharms2. I can assign a "CC" to each mark based on the available party classes and specs. You can also have it print them all to chat. It's quite nice. I'm sure some others will have similar add on suggestions.
    The only thing players hate more than stagnancy is change.

The generally accepted way of marking mobs in my guild groups has been to line them up with class colours where possible. For us it usually goes something like this..

Skull - 1st target
    Cross - 2nd target
    Square - Mage poly
    Triangle - Hunter trap
    Diamond - Warlock fear
    Circle - Shaman hex

But yeah, that basically only ever happens when we come accross a group for the first time. Usually it's just 'smurf the crap ones and kill skull'.

We have a feral tank in our guild that refuses to use cross as second kill target, always star as second kill target and cross as cc target. Yeah, randoms get quite confused sometimes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokaris84 View Post
    The generally accepted way of marking mobs in my guild groups has been to line them up with class colours where possible. For us it usually goes something like this..

Skull - 1st target
    Cross - 2nd target
    Square - Mage poly
    Triangle - Hunter trap
    Diamond - Warlock fear
    Circle - Shaman hex

But yeah, that basically only ever happens when we come accross a group for the first time. Usually it's just 'smurf the crap ones and kill skull'.
    sqaure is a mage poly and hunters use triangle and shamans use circles? i disagree with those three.
    Mage polly = moon
    Hunter trap = sqaure
    Hex = triangle
    Fear or banish is diamond as you said
    star=sap
    Circle= priest MC or shackle

Check the front page of MMO champion for a 'how to raid' I think under dps it has a list of marks and what they mean, I've been using the above marks for those targets since i started wow pretty much, and i think most people, at least on the servers I've been on, do as well.

The only thing I do differently to most people is if there is no cc i mark third target as triangle which is basically just third kill target, some people use circle for this others diamond etc.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2011-01-18 at 03:54 PM.

In a word: no. each guild/group/individual has a preference. In some cases they coincide, and that's nice --- often they do not. I use raid mob marker, actually whispers each character what their cc assignment is. Honestly though, each person keeping track of their own marker, as long as the marks are established up front by the person marking, is not that much to ask.
    As to multiple cc's, I personally hate the idea of assigning more than one target to cc per character per pull (and not just because I play a warlock /sigh). Unless the pack you are pulling has two mobs that absolutely have to be cc'ed, which I've yet to come across, the loss of dps from that individual is a bigger detriment than the extra mob being tanked.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2011-01-18 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Here is what we use (combination of TBC throwbacks and new CC such as hex):

Skull - 1st target
    X - 2nd target
    Circle - 3rd target (or fallback CC such as wyvern sting, roots, hibernate, etc.)

Moon - Mage poly (or Priest MC if there is no Mage in the group)
    Square - Hunter trap
    Diamond - Warlock banish (or Warlock fear if humanoid ... haven't ran across any packs that require both fear and banish in the same pull)
    Star - Rogue sap
    Green triangle - Shaman hex (or Shaman bind elemental if an elemental)

You can never get tons of people from different servers who may have not even been playing the game for very long to all use the same marks for the same CC types. It will never ever happen. I just want you to be able to accept and understand that.

The best you can do is use your preferred CC marks and explain them to people as you begin the instance.

Why do people always assume that there is or should be a universal standard with these markers?

There has never been a universal standard, despite what anyone may try and tell you. The particular assignments of markers has and likely always will vary from server to server. community to community.

And it's not necessary to have a standard for marking.

It is not any more difficult or challenging or demanding of one's time to simply listen to the guy doing the marks when he does them, than it is to memorize a specific list of meanings and HOPE that everyone else in your group has memorized that same list.

Even among those who have memorized a set of meanings for the raid markers, the definitions vary from one person to another.
    I doubt that a community as diverse as the WoW community will ever be able to agree universally on a specific list.

The easiest and most effective means is to explain the markings to your group as you do them. This ensures minimal confusion.

I use the addon QuickMark so that I don't have to right click on the portrait and try to find the symbol. I usually use:

Skull - Kill first
    X - Kill second
    Triangle - Kill third/Root/Hibernate/Wyvern Sting
    Diamond - Banish/Bind elemental
    Moon - Sheep
    Square - Hunter trap
    Star - Sap/Hex
    Circle - Fear/Repentance

It is not surprising that different groups/people have different ways of marking targets. Thats how most of the things work, they often differ depending on the user. The most common two symbols seem to be Skull for first target and Cross for second. Everything else is usually matter of preference. Hence personally I would avoid trying to enforce a system that rigidly dictates which mark corresponds to what, besides Skull and Cross, which are pretty self explanatory. In my eyes such things are just matter of convienience which does not mean player should not be able to be flexible and adjust his thinking as long as marks are explained.

That is another thing, considering all the differences between people, party leaders should probably just keep in mind potential problems and explain marks before hand. Even if it means pushing a /p {List of Marks} macro before each run starts, just to clear everything up. This does not require much of effort and in my eyes at least, is much better than expecting everyone will follow a same system or even know about it. Most of people know best, how experienced or not experienced players we can sometimes meet in group. That is a natural thing and it should just be acounted for.

EDIT: Typos.
    Last edited by Ralion; 2011-01-18 at 04:08 PM.

Skull = Kill First
    X = Kill Second
    Yellow = Rogue
    Moon = Mage
    Green = Druid
    Purple = Succy
    Blue = Hunter
    is what i use :/ but most important is ofc moon

Quote Originally Posted by manofmagic View Post
    Skull = Kill First
    X = Kill Second
    Yellow = Rogue
    Moon = Mage
    Green = Druid
    Purple = Succy
    Blue = Hunter
    is what i use :/ but most important is ofc moon
    Warlock fear (glyphed) and Shaman hex is on par with Mage sheep these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwine77 View Post
    Warlock fear (glyphed) and Shaman hex is on par with Mage sheep these days.
    that wasent the point ;p but meh nvm

On my server we use...

X = First kill (X marks the spot)
    Skull = Avoid (it's a scary face)

and whatever else goes

Me? I go by what color the class shows up on my Raid UI

Blue Square = Shaman or Mage
    Yellow Star = Rogue
    Orange Circle = Druids
    White Moon = Priests
    Red X = Frost DK
    Green Triangle = Hunter
    Purple Diamond = Warlock
    White Skull = KILL IT FIRST!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    For the LOVE OF JEEBUS. There will NEVER EVER be a standardized system. EVER. Give it up. There was a thread about this like 3 weeks ago.. It went for like 50 pages, and NOTHING was solved.

Besides, maybe (being optimistic) 1% of the persons that play wow will read this thread. NOTHING will come of it.

You want to stop failing at CC targets? ASK. Get the tank or whoever is marking to tell you what you have to CC. That is all. Jesus Christmas can we use our brains for a minute.

You trying to standardize marking conventions is like putting a 1000 monkeys in a room with a 1000 typing machines in hopes that one will type up the complete works of Shakespeare. They did a study on this... It would take trillions of years... too bad our Sun will blow up in about 5.5 billion.

No one has even mentioned Paladin repentance . Can't be cast again if broken but keeps mobs still for a whole minute.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

It it not like you have 5 different CC jobs and have to remember. Each class usually gets only 1 job they have to do and only 1 symbol. So at the beginning of the run someone says "XYZ you are star" and that is more than you can handle? Wow.

It's not about what symbols mean.

As a Tank
    I will check my group when i enter a dungeon and if they have a cc i assign them e symbol so they can do what cc they have on that symbol.

As a Dps
    I will check my group and ask Tank to use manks and assign cc symbols to group or if tank is lazy i will assign and mark symbols.

again It's not about what symbol is for what cc its about setting up what cc you have and who handles what symbol.
    Erafur; Irreplaceble Tank - Great DPS but No Luck (Warrior)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Ermagus; Arcane Master - But Prefers Being a Fridge(Mage)
    ----------------------------------------------------------