Epics or Friends the truth about Cata

Ive been running a guild since BC were all close friends weve been raiding for years shooting the shit and having some laughs. But now that Cataclysm has befallen us the laughs have stopped the fun is gone and long standing friendships are being tested with futility.

About half my guild are what most would consider Pros or Basement Heros, CC, not standing in crap dps is solid and not over healing like a bunch of wraith babies comes second nature to us. But then there is the other half of the guild our friends who work have families and cant commit to the time required to bring thier skill level up to what Cata demands. with such a small margain for error its overwhelming to some of our friends to the point we wipe, wipe and wipe some more I didnt mind carrying my friends thats what friends do help eachother to achieve but now its not possiable.

Atleast in BC and WoTLH we could carry ours friends but as of cata we cannot. so now the skilled players have been forced to replace our friends with skilled players who have no desire at all to want to socialize or becomes friends with you.

I geared my toon to i LvL 353 im a pro healer I pay my subscription I deserve to be able to enjoy the content. if thats true if we can all just dismiss others so easly cause they dont meet our skill level then why do I feel like such a jerk. Blizzard went from catering to everyone were we could build guilds around the people we like and want to socialize with to being forced to pick bettewen friends or epics. Im sure some will post flaming replies that ohh my guild is progressing fine and were friends. well my friends are not all pro so save those comments for yourself it has no place here.

Why couldnt Blizzard make a easy/normal/hardmode version in Cata of course easy mode would not drop 359 epics maybe 351 Blues. I love the difficulty level for myself in Cata its very easy for me. But going from being able to shoot the shit and having some laughs with friends. To telling people to shutup over vent so we dont make "ANY" mistakes so we dont wipe is not only uncharectistic of me but its not fun.

I think everyone should get to enjoy the content but that doesnt mean they should be rewarded for it. Im a firm believer hard work makes for good gear gives more value to the epics but that doesnt mean you have to throw the masses you cater too in WoTLK into a friggin meat grinder making them useless and feel shitty about themselves.

So in conclusion im a sellout I chose epics over friends but that doesnt mean I like it, it just means blizzard left me with little options thanks blizzard apprecait you making me into a Ahole. cant wait to see what the next expansion makes me do maybe mug old women or punch kittens who knows.
    Last edited by Spawnxxx; 2011-01-18 at 06:08 PM.

If I'm playing with friends/guildies, I let them have the upgrade over me if it is a bigger upgrade for them than it would be for me.

Blizzard made the content actually challenging. They didn't make your friends bad at the game, they didn't make your replacements anti-social, they didn't make you an asshole.

This game isn't fun if you're not playing with friends.

People will adapt and get better if they're forced to, or they will quit That goes for casuals as well.
    If you love someone, you will focus your life on their happiness.

You can still do PvP/heroics/quests/achievements with your friends. When it comes time to raiding, go with the group that can get it done. Room for both things, just have to itemize properly. You're friends will understand that you have other things you want to do ingame that they are not ready for/capable of.

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhalseran View Post
    Blizzard made the content actually challenging. They didn't make your friends bad at the game, they didn't make your replacements anti-social, they didn't make you an asshole.
    Ya but downing the content isnt what matters to you its about allowing unskilled people access to your gear thats what you dont want and I understand that 100% good players deserve good gear. But my point isnt about blizzard offering challening content to reward good gear its about allowing everyone to enjoy (The Content) itself without the rewards. I would gladly without a hesitation use a feature that turned off all drops no friggin epics at all off bosses if it meant the content was alittle easier so me and my buddies could all play and have some laughs.

Thats what this post is about not whos deserving of the epics or not

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnxxx View Post
    Ive been running a guild since BC were all close friends weve been raiding for years shooting the shit and having some laughs. But now that Cataclysm has befallen us the laughs have stopped the fun is gone and long standing friendships are being tested with futility.

About half my guild are what most would consider Pros or Basement Heros, CC, not standing in crap dps is solid and not over healing like a bunch of wraith babies comes second nature to us. But then there is the other half of the guild our friends who work have families and cant commit to the time required to bring thier skill level up to what Cata demands. with such a small margain for error its overwhelming to some of our friends to the point we wipe, wipe and wipe some more I didnt mind carrying my friends thats what friends do help eachother to achieve but now its not possiable.

Atleast in BC and WoTLH we could carry ours friends but as of cata we cannot. so now the skilled players have been forced to replace our friends with skilled players who have no desire at all to want to socialize or becomes friends with you.

I geared my toon to i LvL 353 im a pro healer I pay my subscription I deserve to be able to enjoy the content. if thats true if we can all just dismiss others so easly cause they dont meet our skill level then why do I feel like such a jerk. Blizzard went from catering to everyone were we could build guilds around the people we like and want to socialize with to being forced to pick bettewen friends or epics. Im sure some will post flaming replies that ohh my guild is progressing fine and were friends. well my friends are not all pro so save those comments for yourself it has no place here.

Why couldnt Blizzard make a easy/normal/hardmode version in Cata of course easy mode would not drop 359 epics maybe 351 Blues. I love the difficulty level for myself in Cata its very easy for me. But going from being able to shoot the shit and having some laughs with friends. To telling people to shutup over vent so we dont make "ANY" mistakes so we dont wipe is not only uncharectistic of me but its not fun.

I think everyone should get to enjoy the content but that doesnt mean they should be rewarded for it. Im a firm believer hard work makes for good gear gives more value to the epics but that doesnt mean you have to throw the masses you cater too in WoTLK into a friggin meat grinder making them useless and feel shitty about themselves.

So in conclusion im a sellout I chose epics over friends but that doesnt mean I like it, it just means blizzard left me with little options thanks blizzard apprecait you making me into a Ahole. cant wait to see what the next expansion makes me do maybe mug old women or punch kittens who knows.
    Jeez there is a lot of whining going around about this kind of crap. First of all... Quit using the term "Wrath babies." People who started playing WoW during Wrath don't all suck at the game. You lump everyone that starting during Wrath into that same category erroneously. Don't do it, kthx.

Now, if raiding is the only part of the game that matters to you... wait a couple patches for some skilled players to get caught up to the content and then start hitting the raids. Otherwise, there is PLENTY to do in the game right now. Level alts, level profs, save up gold, complete achieves, complete guild achieves, collect mounts/pets, or hell you can even go outside and run around the block... or clean up around your mom's basement, I'm sure she would appreciate that.

10+ Year Old Account
    so now the skilled players have been forced to replace our friends with skilled players who have no desire at all to want to socialize or becomes friends with you.
    Or you know how to play, or you are friendly; you just CANT be both. Nice dicotomy.

And I'm not sure if you know that, but no one is forcing you to play WoW.

How many topics are you going to make about this today?

OT: Blizzard didn't MAKE you do any of those things. You chose to do them. If you're an asshole, it's because you chose to be. If you want to raid with your friends who are bad at wow, you can expect to not get very far. But, the choice is still yours to make, and if you enjoy raiding with your friends, then do so. It's the same choice everyone has to make, you made the choice in wrath as well. If you are as "pro" as you claim, you could have joined an elite guild and did all the hardest content in the game. But, you didn't. You chose to give up the achievements and epics in order to raid with your friends. It is no different now. You're just not walking into the raid with a 30% buff, outgearing the content by 2 tiers simply by virtue of walking in the door.

Blizzard has already introduced a normal/heroic difficulty option. I'm uncertain how the original poster's suggestion to add a third option (easy/normal/heroic) would change the situation. The underlying issue is that players have different skill levels. So long as dungeons/raids require skill, some players will be shut out. At present, it sounds like the original poster's friends do not meet the required level of skill for heroics.

Chances are that the heroic content will eventually be made easier by nerfs or gear. Eventually, most players will be able to experience most content. So the original poster needs to make a decision about what is important to him/her: faster progression or friends.

I don't think it is reasonable to ask that the choice between faster progression and friends go away. The only way to make all content accessible to all levels of players is to make it very very easy, which seems like a cure worse than the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauntea View Post
    This game isn't fun if you're not playing with friends.
    or under the influence

Deleted
    of wraith babies comes second nature to us. But then there is the other half of the guild our friends who work have families and cant commit to the time required to bring thier skill level up to what Cata demands.

hope u r not serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnxxx View Post
    But then there is the other half of the guild our friends who work have families and cant commit to the time required to bring thier skill level up to what Cata demands.
    Fact of the matter is that these people will NEVER see the content outside of youtube videos. It's an exercise in futility to try and carry these people. The only thing they will do is drag you down with them. You have to ask yourself if you enjoy raiding and if you want to see the content? If its a yes, then you have to move forward. Dump them from your raid groups (which they can't commit to anyways) and pick up some more reliable people.

You should NOT feel guilty about other people not being willing to put in the time or the effort to do pretty easy raids. The learning curve is definitely higher than Wrath, but it's still not very high. I would definitely NOT call Cata a "meat grinder"

I really don't see how you see yourself as a sellout? Your "friends" clearly didn't care enough about you to gear/skill themselves out enough to help you progress, why do you owe them some special debt of servitude as if its your job to carry them?

Anyways, this is a false Dichotomy. Raiding and having Friends are not mutually exclusive. It's entirely possible to have friends who do not raid.
    Last edited by Liminal; 2011-01-18 at 06:35 PM.

I play the game to play with friends. A lot of them are skilled and we raid together. Some are just casuals. We all exist in the same guild, but everyone recognizes that to raid you need a certain skill and gear level. We recruit for raiding, but that doesn't stop us from doing most other things with our casual friends in guild. This shouldn't create any drama with casual friends, if it does it sounds like they're pretty much expecting you to carry them.