Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Fanboy(ism?) Batman.

I see a lot of people who are extremely negative when it comes to other games, especially in the MMO genre. I just don't understand what is the reason of this, WoW is by all means a great game that has given all of us hours upon hours of fun and entertainment. Yet in the same regard it is not the only viable solution for fun and should not be defended just because of this. The game is to many becoming very repetitive and to me and maybe others boring. I love WoW and will always come back to it whether it be for hours, days or months. But I just can not see myself continuing to play it as I used to, and so do others, yet when someone creates a thread about another game they are filled with many troll like replies. WoW is not the end all be all of MMOs as I said in another thread of mine these games will ultimately make WoW a better game because thats what competition does. Having a real debate on a game is fine but when 99% of the arguments stated are, "It's going to fail" or "WoW Clone" that shows ignorance and honestly a fear of change.

WoW was created of the basic elements that reside in any MMO only difference being they did them better. So who's to say another game can not come along and push those ideas further or *gasp* create new ideas. Change is good and we should all learn to give something, no matter what our initial impression are, a try. I gave DCUO a try because I felt the need for something new and I am not regretting that one bit. It's a great game with lots of potential provided developer/player support. I also plan to try Rift, Guild Wars 2, TERA and SWOR, that doesn't mean I hate WoW, it just means I don't like being stuck in the same mundane environment that WoW to me has become. More people need to open their minds and expand their interest. For some it's a greater challenge, but to those who don't see it as a challenge, you should try it more often.

In closing, stop all the childish replies when presented something that isn't the same as yours, either ignore it or embrace it, it's that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because this is the internet.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

I see more negativity towards WoW and Blizzard in general than I do pro-Blizzard fanboyism.

Ignore it or embrace it? Those are our only two options? Why are you so scared of opposing views? And why are you demanding censorship? Who are you anyways and what kind of thread is this? Were the other 37 topics just like this too difficult to find?

I think wow really openned up the MMO genre to a lot of people that ordinarily wouldnt have picked up an MMO. Blizzard took a tried and true franchise and delivered it into MMO format - the low difficulty level, low system requirements also helped capture and maintain audiences as well.

I think WOW will be the first and last MMO a lot of WOW players will play - that is sad because its a great genre and WOW really havent done anything groundbreaking...just executed it in spectacular fashion using a tried and true franchise.

Most of this community resent any other MMO because they actually have no interest in the MMO genre. The only other games they play outside of wow are FPS.

That being sad, a lot of the recent MMO releases deserved mockery..

Age of Conan - great on paper, horrible to play. Not to mention all the really bad bugs in the first 6 months,...it was nigh unplayable..
    Warhammer Online: Ok, the group quest zones sucked though.
    Aion: LOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL
    etc etc..

The only one whose stood up to WOW and is actually thriving is LOTRO. The community over there is a lot better than WOW's and the zones are awesome. Some of the quests are a bit lame ("deliver flowers to my girlfriend across the shire!") but overall its a solid game.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
    I see more negativity towards WoW and Blizzard in general than I do pro-Blizzard fanboyism.
    This. It seems it's cooler to hate on WoW.

I have a friend who won't even play it because he said it looks old even though his crappy Final Fantasy XIV looks like Everquest 2 in graphics.

While I do agree with the OP in a lot of what he's saying, I believe a lot of the hatred towards other MMO's is because people tend to toss around the term "WoW-killer" whenever these other games are mentioned. Personally that makes me cringe a bit, and I have noticed some people gets very provoced by it.

I am by no means a die hard WoW fan like many others, I have tried a lot of different MMO's. Right now I'm looking torward to Tera, and I'm absolutely stoked about Guild Wars 2. But I wouldn't start a thread trying to get a discussion going about those games on this site. Even though it is called mmo-champion and a lot of people argue it is meant for every MMO out there (which is part of another discussion that's already been dealth with in another thread), this is a WoW community.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet you're the person that comments "WoW-killer" about every MMO on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    Ignore it or embrace it? Those are our only two options? Why are you so scared of opposing views? And why are you demanding censorship? Who are you anyways and what kind of thread is this? Were the other 37 topics just like this too difficult to find?
    What other options are there other than ignore it or embrace it that are logical. If I don't like say Starbucks coffee, I'm not going to run inside and scream at everyone and insult them for being there, that's ignorant. And if you read it at all I am not scared of opposing views, when someone has an opposing view I will listen if they present it in a calm and debatable manner, which doesn't happen often, we get these replies flaming and instead of making valid points, resorting to insults and ridicule. No ones demanding censorship, I see know where in there were I say, don't express your opinion or convert or die, I said if your going to do so do it in a manner that doesn't make you look like an idiot.

And I am baffled by the question who am I? are you implying that I am not justified in posting for some reason?

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, judging by beta videos, Rift does look like its systems are... well, wow copies. Or it is just standart old design model. But Guild Wars 2... man, that's what I call innovation. At least on paper its principles look so much better and next-gen compared to WoW. No class roles, everyone has a way to heal themselves and res others, truly dynamic world, scaling (depending on number of players participating) events instead of quests, no mob-tagging and camping, weapons defining usable skills and tactics... I'm gonna play it. Definitely and absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzme View Post
    I see a lot of people who are extremely negative when it comes to other games, especially in the MMO genre. I just don't understand what is the reason of this, WoW is by all means a great game that has given all of us hours upon hours of fun and entertainment. Yet in the same regard it is not the only viable solution for fun and should not be defended just because of this. The game is to many becoming very repetitive and to me and maybe others boring. I love WoW and will always come back to it whether it be for hours, days or months. But I just can not see myself continuing to play it as I used to, and so do others, yet when someone creates a thread about another game they are filled with many troll like replies. WoW is not the end all be all of MMOs as I said in another thread of mine these games will ultimately make WoW a better game because thats what competition does. Having a real debate on a game is fine but when 99% of the arguments stated are, "It's going to fail" or "WoW Clone" that shows ignorance and honestly a fear of change.

WoW was created of the basic elements that reside in any MMO only difference being they did them better. So who's to say another game can not come along and push those ideas further or *gasp* create new ideas. Change is good and we should all learn to give something, no matter what our initial impression are, a try. I gave DCUO a try because I felt the need for something new and I am not regretting that one bit. It's a great game with lots of potential provided developer/player support. I also plan to try Rift, Guild Wars 2, TERA and SWOR, that doesn't mean I hate WoW, it just means I don't like being stuck in the same mundane environment that WoW to me has become. More people need to open their minds and expand their interest. For some it's a greater challenge, but to those who don't see it as a challenge, you should try it more often.

In closing, stop all the childish replies when presented something that isn't the same as yours, either ignore it or embrace it, it's that simple.
    See, the thing is, I get that. My issue is that you are coming to a forum for WoW with the attitude that we should all be able to like whatever game we enjoy and saying: WoW sucks, play whatever it is I play and if you don’t you’re a fanboy because nobody could possibly genuinely like something I don’t like.

As for WoW, well, I think Penny Arcade put it best: "You read an article like this one over at Eurogamer - "What can Topple World of Warcraft?" - and nothing that even looks like an MMO comes readily to mind. That is partially because of the head start, but it's also that World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is in a very literal sense not the game that launched as World of Warcraft in 2004. If you have a good idea in your game they will just take it, adding your uniqueness to their own. I think it would be easier to topple capitalism itself; competitors may want to start there first.”

To make a nerdy analogy: Blizzard is the like borg. You cannot do anything they haven’t already done, and if you somehow manage to innovate they will simply copy you while leveraging superior name recognition and player base until nobody remembers you innovated at all. The only possible way to compete is by doing something that is so different that they cannot copy it at all, like Hello Kitty. Even then you have the problem that Blizzard is pushing out another MMO.

No, people do not need to open their minds and expand their interest. If I enjoy Apples, and I enjoy eating Apples, and my entire world is Apples, thats okay. If you enjoy Apples AND Oranges thats okay too, but don’t pretend that everyone would be ever so much happier if they liked Oranges too. I am just as happy with my Apples, just as content, and it is incredibly hypocritical to go around pitying people for not liking the same things as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    I bet you're the person that comments "WoW-killer" about every MMO on YouTube.
    Why would I want a game in which I spent hundreds of dollars and countless of hours to die, especially when it is a great standard for others to build on, I bet your one of the fanboys I am speaking of.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyotoole View Post
    See, the thing is, I get that. My issue is that you are coming to a forum for WoW with the attitude that we should all be able to like whatever game we enjoy and saying: WoW sucks, play whatever it is I play and if you don’t you’re a fanboy because nobody could possibly genuinely like something I don’t like.

No, people do not need to open their minds and expand their interest. If I enjoy Apples, and I enjoy eating Apples, and my entire world is Apples, thats okay. If you enjoy Apples AND Oranges thats okay too, but don’t pretend that everyone would be ever so much happier if they liked Oranges too. I am just as happy with my Apples, just as content, and it is incredibly hypocritical to go around pitying people for not liking the same things as yourself.
    Oh no I agree with you, like what ever makes you happy which is what I was getting at with the whole, ignore it or embrace it statement. It's just like the analogy about religion and how it being compared to a penis, "It's great you have one but don't go shoving it down other peoples throats".

And as for the statement in bold, your completely misinterpreting my thread, I love WoW it was my first MMO and is so far the best MMO available, I am just getting to the fact that that doesn't make anything non-WoW terrible, as people make it seem that way.
    Last edited by Ezzme; 2011-01-18 at 08:11 PM.

What other options are there other than ignore it or embrace it that are logical. If I don't like say Starbucks coffee, I'm not going to run inside and scream at everyone and insult them for being there, that's ignorant. And if you read it at all I am not scared of opposing views, when someone has an opposing view I will listen if they present it in a calm and debatable manner, which doesn't happen often, we get these replies flaming and instead of making valid points, resorting to insults and ridicule. No ones demanding censorship, I see know where in there were I say, don't express your opinion or convert or die, I said if your going to do so do it in a manner that doesn't make you look like an idiot.

And I am baffled by the question who am I? are you implying that I am not justified in posting for some reason?
    Because comparing an MMO forum, where all things MMO are discussed (most predominately the #1 MMO in history) to a Starbucks physical location where you actually have to have some like or need for their product to enter their domain is logical right?

"Ignore it or embrace it" doesn't sound like you're open to opposing views. Make up your mind please.

Just another QQ thread about nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I want a game in which I spent hundreds of dollars and countless of hours to die, especially when it is a great standard for others to build on, I bet your one of the fanboys I am speaking of.
    Yeah, well, if you want to make a thread about Batman maybe you should talk about DC Universe.

Know what I look for in a MMO? It's the races. If the game has a non-human looking race, my interest is piqued.

How many MMOs since WoW have been released with non-human races?

Warhammer........

Age of Conan could have been cool if they, you know, let people play as the lizard race, but nope, they just let you chose between 3 human races! How exciting! FF11 and 14, same human-looking races. Rift, just humans, not the alien races you fight against. LoTRO, more human races (sorry, elves count as humans). Why is it that only WoW and Everquest (and to a lesser extent, WAR with it's orcs and goblins) are the only MMOs that let you play as something NOT human?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    Know what I look for in a MMO? It's the races. If the game has a non-human looking race, my interest is piqued.

How many MMOs since WoW have been released with non-human races?

Warhammer........

Age of Conan could have been cool if they, you know, let people play as the lizard race, but nope, they just let you chose between 3 human races! How exciting! FF11 and 14, same human-looking races. Rift, just humans, not the alien races you fight against. LoTRO, more human races (sorry, elves count as humans). Why is it that only WoW and Everquest (and to a lesser extent, WAR with it's orcs and goblins) are the only MMOs that let you play as something NOT human?
    Check out Tera and Guild Wars 2. I am exactly the same, I love having a wide variety of races. Diversity in a fantasy game is a must. Those two games are the ones I really want to be released. Right this moment.

I totally agree with this post. WoW is a GREAT game and does a ton of things right, but in the end its still the same game that it was in old school wow. They dropped the amount of tree points and made it so even and basic it gets old. The QQ of players that my class is gimped by .5% over the other class etc etc etc has made each faction a carbon copy of each other and all the classes the same class with a different skin. Why wow has never created a "buffer class" like a bard or redmage I will never understand. My only guess is that PvP has taken over this game, so much QQ about x class being OP has made the game very "everything has to be equal." Who cares if a Frost mage is not viable for PvE.. just make it a pvp spec and move on... why does a fire mage need to have pvp viability..

I like where other games are going with MMO's and I am excited to give them a shot. Blizzard is clearly aware of these games too.. its funny how Blizzard plans new patches (4.0.6 and Rifts Beta 5) and content launches to coincide with other mmos beta and game launches. They know these games have a chance to be better and/or different and are scared players will leave for them.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    Why is it that only WoW and Everquest (and to a lesser extent, WAR with it's orcs and goblins) are the only MMOs that let you play as something NOT human?
    Because theres less development time and money spent developing unique models - why develop unique models when you can rehash/tweak the same one!

You don't realize this is a hypocrisy? You just told others to not show their discontent with something, yet you feel it's okay for YOU to respond negatively to their negative reactions? Double standards for the win.

Deleted
    Because most of them suck.

/thread