Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ooh you're lucky to get it so soon... for my ASUS RMA status it's still stuck at verifying credit card info. I don't know what their hold up is and I sent them the form the same day I received their e-mail saying they were ready to start RMAs.

Did the board come with an up to date BIOS? (UEFI...) Could that be the source of your potential minor improvements?

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, I'm going to drive over to Microcenter here soon and just pickup my replacement.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Well, according to an interview @ Newegg with a guy from Asus (a Mr. J.J), there's a self overclock feature, for those interested. It lets you overclock it to whatever you want, and it does it alone, and it adjusts to the processor you have.

1st way; in EUFI, there's an ''extra performance'' button (asus boards only!) that clocks it automatically to 4.5 GHz on next boot.
    2nd way; in the OS, on Asus' software, there is a ''overclock'' button to clocks it to roughly 4.4 GHz and an ''extreme'' button that clocks it to about 4.9.

Yes, after the clocking is done, Asus' software automatically run stress and stability tests on your CPU, as well as heat, and clocks it down auto if there's something with it (too hot, etc). Honestly, it's pretty amazing, but it doesn't give you the pride of doing it yourself. My girlfriend, on the other hand, will probably use the light overclock feature with a Noctua cooler and get done with it, and I think that's where Asus / Intel scored.

Honestly thought, I don't know how running full-time @ 4.5 GHz will cut the lifespan of your CPU. It's only overclocking the "turbo", so when its idle, it's @ 1.6 GHz. I guess that will help right there.

Just my 2c.
    -Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Well, according to an interview @ Newegg with a guy from Asus (a Mr. J.J), there's a self overclock feature, for those interested. It lets you overclock it to whatever you want, and it does it alone, and it adjusts to the processor you have.

1st way; in EUFI, there's an ''extra performance'' button (asus boards only!) that clocks it automatically to 4.5 GHz on next boot.
    2nd way; in the OS, on Asus' software, there is a ''overclock'' button to clocks it to roughly 4.4 GHz and an ''extreme'' button that clocks it to about 4.9.

Yes, after the clocking is done, Asus' software automatically run stress and stability tests on your CPU, as well as heat, and clocks it down auto if there's something with it (too hot, etc). Honestly, it's pretty amazing, but it doesn't give you the pride of doing it yourself. My girlfriend, on the other hand, will probably use the light overclock feature with a Noctua cooler and get done with it, and I think that's where Asus / Intel scored.

Honestly thought, I don't know how running full-time @ 4.5 GHz will cut the lifespan of your CPU. It's only overclocking the "turbo", so when its idle, it's @ 1.6 GHz. I guess that will help right there.

Just my 2c.
    -Chicken
    Auto OC buttons are bad. Bad bad bad. They often result with WAY too high voltage, which actually does cut the lifespan of your CPU, unlike the 4.5GHz full-time overclock, which does not affect your CPU lifespan. No, that feature is NOT pretty amazing. It's the voltage that can be bad for your CPU, not the frequency. It can easily harm your computer and cut the lifespan. These features have been around for years already, and they've never been actually recommended to use by anyone.

It's just a marketing scheme, seems to have worked on you.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    And the blend test fails because it is putting an ever so slightly lower load on your cores. In offset mode, this might cause your voltage regulation to dip and cause instability. This is also why I suggest against using any sort of Load Line Calibration outside of an extreme overclock. Try setting a manual non-offset CPU voltage and see if your Blend test fails vs small-FFTs...it won't.
    That isn't it because I have seen many people with manual voltage pass the one but not the other. Manual with a high LLC setting is about as stable of a voltage as you can get so it shouldn't be going up and down constantly.

Also if you truly want to see if your system is stable you need to download the latest Linpack binaries for LinX and also get Windows 7 SP1 so you can support AVX instruction, then watch your temps go up by like 6-10 degrees and possibly crash. At first Prime95 blend was the best way to stress test these CPU's but now that LinX has been updated and Win7 SP1 is released with AVX support it is a whole new ballgame.
    My temps are quite standard for those voltages. If you're seeing less at 5GHz on a Hyper 212+, you must have a wind-tunnel for a case or a golden sample running at extremely low voltages. My case fans do run at 500 RPM 24/7, but the CPU fans can spin up to 1500 RPM. Google: "NH-D14" 2600K 4.8GHz
    Nope... I don't have a really good airflow case like the HAF cases, I just have a 690... the original version not the newest revision. Also I am running my CPU at 1.4v so it isn't hardly a "golden" CPU either.

Just doesn't seem right that my $30 cooler > your $80 cooler even when mine has more volts and a higher OC. I mean unless it is 90 degrees in your room I would consider remounting it.
    Last edited by noremac; 2011-03-09 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Auto OC buttons are bad. Bad bad bad. They often result with WAY too high voltage, which actually does cut the lifespan of your CPU, unlike the 4.5GHz full-time overclock, which does not affect your CPU lifespan. No, that feature is NOT pretty amazing. It's the voltage that can be bad for your CPU, not the frequency. It can easily harm your computer and cut the lifespan. These features have been around for years already, and they've never been actually recommended to use by anyone.

It's just a marketing scheme, seems to have worked on you.
    They did, happy? For those of us who don't know really well how to overclock, I don't get why not.

Sorry, but thats some of us, especially your average joe, which is 99% of the population, unfortunately.

EDIT: Thanks for flaming the ones who aren't as knowledgeable as you. And you can't "Learn" how to overclock on a forum just like that. It's not just "this" easy.

They did, happy? For those of us who don't know really well how to overclock, I don't get why not.

Sorry, but thats some of us, especially your average joe, which is 99% of the population, unfortunately.

EDIT: Thanks for flaming the ones who aren't as knowledgeable as you. And you can't "Learn" how to overclock on a forum just like that. It's not just "this" easy.
    With this new Sandy Bridge platform you can... because it is just stupid easy. Now if you were trying to overclock on the older 1156/1366 platform, or even 775 for that matter it is just so much more difficult. To put it in perspective everyone that is knowledgeable about overclocking actually got offended by this release and some didn't even buy it because it is just "too easy." Now those people go around forums bashing on 1155 owners saying how easy it is to overclock and how much better they are because they had to work harder to overclock.

If Intel actually releases a video mocking this exact matter then it's obviously true:

You can, and it is. And I didn't flame anyone now, did I? I just gave you some facts, straight up, without sugar coating it like talking to a 8 year old. It's a harsh world we live in. I've seen several average joes without any previous OC experience OC these CPUs without any problems. It's like building a computer, it's piss easy once you get over the crying how it's scary and hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    You can, and it is. And I didn't flame anyone now, did I? I just gave you some facts, straight up, without sugar coating it like talking to a 8 year old. It's a harsh world we live in. I've seen several average joes without any previous OC experience OC these CPUs without any problems. It's like building a computer, it's piss easy once you get over the crying how it's scary and hard part.
    Most of us don't know how to adjust voltage, or how to mess with DRAM settings.
    I'm just saying, dude.

I'm at the point where all I can do is raise the multiplier to 40 and enjoy my 4 GHz clock. Because I'm just another dude with an average/high end custom system, like at least half of the posters here. I can't get to 4.5 or higher, and thats because I lack skills that even if I technically "know" what I'm doing, I don't want to try and mess with it, and maybe fail.

All I can do it overclock with the multiplier, and it's not like I can get really high with that.
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-03-09 at 07:08 AM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noremac View Post
    That isn't it because I have seen many people with manual voltage pass the one but not the other. Manual with a high LLC setting is about as stable of a voltage as you can get so it shouldn't be going up and down constantly.

Also if you truly want to see if your system is stable you need to download the latest Linpack binaries for LinX and also get Windows 7 SP1 so you can support AVX instruction, then watch your temps go up by like 6-10 degrees and possibly crash. At first Prime95 blend was the best way to stress test these CPU's but now that LinX has been updated and Win7 SP1 is released with AVX support it is a whole new ballgame.

Nope... I don't have a really good airflow case like the HAF cases, I just have a 690... the original version not the newest revision. Also I am running my CPU at 1.4v so it isn't hardly a "golden" CPU either.

Just doesn't seem right that my $30 cooler > your $80 cooler even when mine has more volts and a higher OC. I mean unless it is 90 degrees in your room I would consider remounting it.
    A blend test will also fail with OC'd or bad RAM, so it really could be anything. With a manual/fixed CPU voltage I have had no stability issues with "Ultra High" LLC.

As well I am puzzled by your claim that LinX/IBT + the latest Linpack binaries reaches hotter temps than Prime95 small-FFTs. I have the 2/3/2011 compiled Linpack binaries from Intel's website and I am getting ~1-2C lower temps with Linpack, and that's also with some CPU fan throttling.

As I said, Google for: "NH-D14" 2600K "4.8 GHz"

You will find most results are in the >70C range for the highest core. Right now my cores are at 64/71/71/68C while crunching small-FFTs. Earlier I did some large Linpack runs and temps were a tick lower. The Hyper 212+ is one of the best coolers regardless of price and should only fall a couple degrees behind the NH-D14 or Cogage/Thermalright Silver Arrow. What temperature monitor are you using, and are you sure you're reading Tjunction and not Tcase?

---------- Post added 2011-03-09 at 07:30 AM ----------

So after playing with my new motherboard, it seems calibrated to much lower voltages than the original. At idle on +.005V, my old motherboard would dip around .94V CPU at 1.6 GHz. The new one sometimes drops down to .89V, which created stability issues. Instead of a +.005V offset, I'm now running a +.035V offset to see how it goes. I kept the Turbo Voltage setting the same in the meantime.

Most of us don't know how to adjust voltage, or how to mess with DRAM settings.
    I'm just saying, dude.

I'm at the point where all I can do is raise the multiplier to 40 and enjoy my 4 GHz clock. Because I'm just another dude with an average/high end custom system, like at least half of the posters here. I can't get to 4.5 or higher, and thats because I lack skills that even if I technically "know" what I'm doing, I don't want to try and mess with it, and maybe fail.

All I can do it overclock with the multiplier, and it's not like I can get really high with that.
    How to get to 4.5:

Raise the multiplier to 45
    Raise your CPU voltage to 1.35 or so~ (It takes 2 minutes for you to grab your motherboards manual and read the bios section to find out which voltage it is)

Victory!

I don't understand why an Average Joe would make this sound harder than it is. You can get almost all the chips to around 4.5GHz without even touching anything else except those 2. Once you go over that, you have to start adjusting other stuff as well.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Also got a freebie with my RMA...

So for getting something like the 2500k/2600k to 4.2GHz (ish) would be as simple as BIOS> Change multiplier to 42>Happy dance, right? I'm getting my new computer soon and that will probably be the first overclocking I have ever done, don't want to screw it up :P And if its that low and you don't have to mess around with voltages, is it risky at all, in any way? Will I still have to run those stability tests on a clock of 4.2GHz?

This sounds so much easier and less risky than my friends made it sound, curse them -.-

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldazar985 View Post
    So for getting something like the 2500k/2600k to 4.2GHz (ish) would be as simple as BIOS> Change multiplier to 42>Happy dance, right?
    AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
    Turbo Ratio = By All Cores = 42
    Phase Control = Extreme
    Duty Control = Extreme
    CPU Voltage = Offset Mode = +.005V (just to get it off Auto .. might need more, these boards have a lot of variance)

Optional:
    Internal PLL Overvoltage = Enabled
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2011-03-09 at 04:51 PM.

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
    Turbo Ratio = By All Cores = 42
    Phase Control = Extreme
    Duty Control = Extreme
    CPU Voltage = Offset Mode = +.005V (just to get it off Auto)

Optional:
    Internal PLL Overvoltage = Enabled
    Ah nice, thanks! And will that be completely risk free/stable? Wouldn't want to damage anything or reduce the lifespan of the components etc D:

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldazar985 View Post
    Ah nice, thanks! And will that be completely risk free/stable? Wouldn't want to damage anything or reduce the lifespan of the components etc D:
    You're only raising the VID by +.005V so it's fairly risk-free.

Another optional setting might be to change Load Line Calibration from Auto to Regular or Medium. Most likely not necessary though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you're technically offsetting the VID, not raising :P I'd also stray away from LLC, as it can cause some pretty harsh degradation of the CPU.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an Asus P8P67 board, 2500k CPU, and 16GB of corsair 1.5V vengeance memory from Newegg. Cooling wise I am just using the stock top-down cooler and some AS5 compound. I am having some major temperature problems with the CPU and need some input. I have left most of the settings on Auto and I've even played around with most of the different configurations mentioned in this thread. However, when I am trying to run at stock speeds I am hitting 98C under prime before the Adaptive Thermal Monitor is kicking in. At first I thought I didn't mount the HSF properly or I used to much or to little compound, however I have re-mounted the HSF about 5 times now and I'm still getting the same results. This most recent mount I even removed the motherboard and double checked all the push pins were poking through correctly and the HSF couldn't be pulled off the board, so I know it's on there properly. Currently I have the chip running stable with turbo mode and stepping disabled at the base 33 mult. and a 1.15V Vcore. With this setup it runs stable at 75C under a full prime load. It even runs stable at a 40 mult. and 1.15 Vcore, but runs around 85C under prime. Anytime this chip gets above 1.2V Vcore, it's reaching the sun though, which is why when I had the Vcore set to auto with an +0.005 offset it was still hitting 98C. I realize I should get a different cooler and some better compound, but that's besides the point, I should not be reaching these temps under stock conditions. So at this point, I'm pretty sure I have a defective chip even though it's running stable, but I wanted to get your input and see if there are any BIOS settings I should try before I RMA the chip. I really appreciate the input, this thing has been driving me nuts this weekend .