How are you gemming your Elemental?

So, there are no 20 haste rating/20 spirit gems available - Because of that, do you choose the 20 haste/20 hit version or how do you do? Thinking since most Elemental Shamans play Restoration offspec gemming Hit rating would be a waste although it'd max dps.

Please no "gem red intellect they winz" replys.
    Bold Sold Gold Hold Told Fold Cold
    Done?
    No..
    Doled Foaled Goaled Holed Poled
    Rolled Scold Scrolled Done soon? meh..
    Shoaled Strolled Tolled Trolled.

Deleted
    The problem is that your gems should always be Intellect or Intellect + secondary stat. Its just too good not to gem it. Most people including myself gem Int or Int + Haste/Mastery (being hitcapped of course).

int/spirt(in blue and red IF youre not hit caped)
    int/haste (yellow^^)
    pure int red...

So how do you sort the 3% damage increase meta gem? you play without it?
    Bold Sold Gold Hold Told Fold Cold
    Done?
    No..
    Doled Foaled Goaled Holed Poled
    Rolled Scold Scrolled Done soon? meh..
    Shoaled Strolled Tolled Trolled.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i play without it, waiting for the next patch for the fix...

OH GOAD I saw the titles and I thought they buffed mages! O:

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That's where a majority of the shaman stuff will be on that site. Also, My shaman is a work in progress but I did gem haste cause of wrath... a lot of haste.

pure spirit in all slots, hard to reach 100% hit

gems

I use the green gems to accommodate for hit and meet the meta cap, after that I use the yellow and purples where I can. You want to be able to use that meta, the critical damage is imperative. At the beginning of this expansion stacking stats like int aren't necessary for good dps. Get your hit capped while making sure your meta stays active. After you have more blue then red you can change to red around for the most favorable outcome. checkout elemental 2 and play around with the gems, very good way totheorycraft.
    Last edited by blackbolt; 2011-01-19 at 07:56 PM.

Its better to gem int/spirit, hit/haste to meet the chaotic meta requirements. However the dps gain is not much so a lot of ele just use the +% mana meta as 1) it allows for easier switch to resto and 2) they are adding a new meta which is really easy to satisfy with just red gems.

10+ Year Old Account
    20int/20spirit - purple
    20int/20haste - yellow
    40int - red

I personally do not use the Chaotic meta so I'm not worried about the requirements for it. You'll easily make hit cap if you gem as followed. There is also a sticky for Elemental on the front page that tells you how to gem and enchant.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ataclysm-Guide - Elemental Sticky

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt View Post
    I use the green gems to accommodate for hit and meet the meta cap, after that I use the yellow and purples where I can. You want to be able to use that meta, the critical damage is imperative. At the beginning of this expansion stacking stats like int aren't necessary for good dps. Get your hit capped while making sure your meta stays active. After you have more blue then red you can change to red around for the most favorable outcome. checkout elemental 2 and play around with the gems, very good way totheorycraft.
    You got part of that right.

Yes, the meta is important. However, saying stacking stats like Int isn't good for dps is just plain wrong. (although the actual wording of you post does make your position on this a little murky. Are you saying that Int isn't good for dps, or stacking it isn't good?). You want to stack as much Int as possible while also maintaining the blue>red count for the meta.

Quote Originally Posted by binkenstein View Post
    You got part of that right.

Yes, the meta is important. However, saying stacking stats like Int isn't good for dps is just plain wrong. (although the actual wording of you post does make your position on this a little murky. Are you saying that Int isn't good for dps, or stacking it isn't good?). You want to stack as much Int as possible while also maintaining the blue>red count for the meta.
    I'm saying stacking Isn't good, You need the meta Blue>Red. I do agree it is good for DPS but it is not good advice for most people, you want as much int as possible, however that will come from items and other such things the more gear and accessories you pick up.

of course if the point of it is to have it usable for both elemental and resto offspec, then the crit/crit damage meta isn't as important. As I have had heal for several of our hard mode kills, I use the ember meta instead of chaotic. If you're using ember, just go brilliant for reds, purified (int/spirit) for purples, and reckless (int/haste) for yellows. If you're prioritizing elemental over having both, and use chaotic, you can use sparkling (40 spirit) for blues instead of purple if you need, or zen (mastery/spirit) for yellows. You can use lightning (haste/hit) but that hit is wasted in resto vs. benefiting both stats from zen.

Just depends on how much of a priority you are putting into your offspec, or if you just want to min/max elemental and have as few wasted stats as possible for resto. In all reality, you'd be gearing/reforging/gemming almost completely different for the 2 specs, so you cant really min/max both unless you have 2 sets of gear. And personally since I'm a JC with chimaera eye gems, it puts me up 3 red gems straight off the bat. even if i do some gem magic and use a spirit chimaera's eye, pure blues where i can, and otherwise trying to meet the requirements, it would be a 147 int vs 147 spirit/haste/mastery/whatever secondary stat trade off to get the bonus. So not sure (someone probably has the numbers) if the chaotic vs ember dps gain is higher than the 147 int vs 147 secondary dps gain.

As such, until they change chaotic requirements back, I'm sticking with ember and int, int/spirit, int/haste in my sockets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt View Post
    I'm saying stacking Isn't good, You need the meta Blue>Red. I do agree it is good for DPS but it is not good advice for most people, you want as much int as possible, however that will come from items and other such things the more gear and accessories you pick up.
    They aren't inconsistent. I've got 100 Intellect gemmed, and my chaotic meta activated, and my gems aren't entirely optimal; I'm sure I could get at least another 20 intellect out of my gems, but I've been busy with other things.

You should be gemming as much Intellect as you can fit in, always.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a JC makes things easier, but I gem Brilliant in red and prismatic slots, Purified in blue slots, and Lightning in yellow slots to meet the Chaotic Meta requirement.

All the extra hit from gemming this way is easily changed to haste or mastery on gear.

Of course all this will change with 4.06. I will change all the Lightning gems to Reckless, and change out the Chaotic as soon as someone in my guild gets their hands on the new Meta.

I have absolutely no idea what blizzard was thinking when they made the meta change. It's so annoying to have to use absolute crap gems for DPS to fulfill the meta requirement.

Search for mooglaoobla on US(I'm the only one with that name) if you want to see how I gemmed. I'm not raiding and will never raid cause i'm in vietnam and guild is on PST therefore I have all the hit I need for heroics...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by op3l View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what blizzard was thinking when they made the meta change. It's so annoying to have to use absolute crap gems for DPS to fulfill the meta requirement.
    When they made the change, they said it was to encourage metas to be an actual choice, not a given. Which I think was a good idea. The issue was that all the other metas are kind of "meh", so they were trying to make you choose between an awesome meta and meh gems, or awesome gems and a meh meta. It would've been better to just give us a couple awesome metas, and have one have a minimum 2 blue, and the other a minimum 2 yellow, or something, so there was still a choice and a cost.

Three red is a no-brainer.