Thumbs down Why No Frostfire Orb?

Hey! So I'm leveling a Frost Mage. Hit 65 and put my point into Frostfire Orb (just following a cookie cutter build). Message says I've learned the new spell. But its not in my spell book. Wtf? I see Flame Orb can't be learned until 81! Is this a bug of sorts, or did Blizz knowingly design this so I have to put points where I don't want them or waste them in Frostfire Orb to get 31 points in Frost, so I can unlock the other talent trees?

10+ Year Old Account
    Warsaw, Poland, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way
    Talents that change a skill you cannot use ATM will obviously not work until you can actually use the skill it modifies.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    One cannot simply walk into Mulgore...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyzic View Post
    You dont have to waste the points in frostfire orb to get 31 points in that tree if you dont want to.
    True enough, but then you are forced to put points in other talents you may not want. That means at some point in the future I must go back and re-learn my talents to get what I want. It just strikes me as very odd that one can put points in a talent tree that serves no useful purpose for another 16 levels. Did Blizz make a mistake or was that by design?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sight-Testing View Post
    True enough, but then you are forced to put points in other talents you may not want. That means at some point in the future I must go back and re-learn my talents to get what I want. It just strikes me as very odd that one can put points in a talent tree that serves no useful purpose for another 16 levels. Did Blizz make a mistake or was that by design?
    considering you have maxed out the talent tree by 81, then where else could they put it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    considering you have maxed out the talent tree by 81, then where else could they put it ?
    into another talent tree? Maxing out any of the talents trees for any of the classes and any of the specs is just bad!

It makes perfect sense and isn't a mistake.

They wanted to add a talent to make Flame Orb more viable for a frost spec. And since you reach the end of the talent tree before you actually get Flame Orb, this is the only way it makes sense.

Also, it's not completely useless without the Flame Orb because the second part of the talent says this

"In addition, reduces the speed of targets slowed by your Frostfire Bolt's chill effect by an additional {10/20}%. "

it's not much, but it's something.

So please, finish reading the talent before complaining about it next time.
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    The talent says it modifies a spell, you don't get that spell until 81 so obviously you don't get it.
    What's the point in offering the "modifying talent" at a much lower level then?

What's the point in offering the "modifying talent" at a much lower level then?
    And the troll suddenly becomes obvious.
    All the world's a stage,

There really isn't one, and it's something that I remember them saying they were trying to get away from with the talent redesign.

Of course, as with everything else regarding this expansion, they failed.

---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 03:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pockmark View Post
    Oh, look, everyone. This thread's waste of time has finally arrived.

If you disagree, give a reason why. Don't just throw up "LOL TROLL" and expect anyone to care.

He's wondering why a talent for a spell you recieve at 81 is given out before 81.

Maybe you wanna go back and read my first post in this thread.
    All the world's a stage,

10+ Year Old Account
    Every class has talents like these all over their trees. This isn't anything new.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Design. I just put together a spec that maxes frost @ 69 and doesn't use FForb to get there that I personally would use for leveling - I can even come up with a few variations on it that would all be beneficial and still not require FForb. Not sure what your spec is that you can't work it in there.

No troll and not really complaining, just trying to understand if there is some rational behind this. From your first post, I did read it, thanks. My interpretation was different, but if yours is correct, then it makes more sense. Thanks!

He's not trolling, he's just confused. I was confused as to why Festering Strike is in Frost for DKs. It made so little sense to me that I didn't even find the spell for a week after I started running Heroics. Yes, I was "that" DK.
    Warlocks are what FDR was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    RAGNAROS: WOULD YOU LIKE THAT TOASTED?!
    Customer: Um, no thanks.
    RAGNAROS: TOO BAD! TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON!

You can't put the first point into this talent until level 59, by which point you've had Frostfire Bolt for 3 levels. As previously stated, the talent improves the snare of Frostfire Bolt as well.

Talents like these are all over the place, primarily buffing one late-game ability but giving you some other lesser utility until that ability is acquired. Such as how the Brain Freeze proc lets you use Fireball until you learn the unquestioningly-better Frostfire Bolt.

From level 59 to 80, this talent just gives your Frostfire Bolt a stronger snare for solo play. Yeah, pretty crappy, but it's something. At 81 you get the real "meat" of the talent: your Flame Orb is transformed to play nice with your frost talents, and the second rank turns it into a crazy Fingers of Frost proc machine.

It's unfortunate that by level 75, you'll doubtless have the Glyph of Frostfire slotted, so the talent really is quite useless from 75 until 81.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."

If they didn't do it, they would have to add a tier or extend a tier in your talent tree and that would be make it harder to actually reach the tier. I.e:

did you want it put in the super secret talent that requires you to be lvl 81? all the talents can be gained before lvl 80 so i dont see what the solution is... or the problem for that matter