Poll: How do you pronounce it?

Thread: 'Use' or 'Use'?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every time I read it I say 'use' as in "There's no use in doing this."

Quote Originally Posted by Sporky0 View Post
    You have taken the word out of it's original context to be pronounced with a Z sound.
    The whole point of this thread boils down to what do you think the context of the word is. It is given only as "Use", the sentence following the word which describes the use of the item or what happens when you use it is not part of the same sentence so both interpretations are valid. Your logic is flawed in that it would suggest that an "Equip" item refers to the "equip" of the item. Since equip is a verb and not a noun, this doesn't make sense. Using equip as a verb fits as in the example I gave above with critical strike rating. I then applied the same logic to fit "Use" and it turned out to be a verb.

I'm not trying to say use with a z sound is definitely right and if you think otherwise you are wrong. Just that the logic I use to determine the pronounciation of "use" fits in both cases. Your logic doesn't. If you think it should be "use" to describe the use of the item that's fine, but saying it has to be the noun because that's what the context dictates is flawed logic.
    Last edited by Renowned; 2011-01-21 at 02:36 AM.

I say it either way, but depends if I use (lol. thats with a z sound) "Use" with a z or "On use" with an s. I commonly refer to it either way.

Err I never thought about this before. O_o

Errr....hmmmm. I've always thought it was saying USE like "I use my computer...."

Examples of how I imagine it being said:
    Use: Creates a portal.
    Click: Brings you to the next screen.
    Poke: Causes it to become annoyed.
    Rub: Summons a genie.

You get the idea.

Its really the difference of: "The use of this object is..." And "Use this object to...."

That item and similar items like it have a yus, but when someone yuzes them they go on cooldown.

I refer to any on use item like that as such... an on use item, at which point i say yus. If i were to use the item and make the item go on cooldown, i yuz the item.

Thats what i say... and i think it's right

Edit: After thinking a bit more, yea i use both Z and S, it depends on the context of the conversation really.
    Last edited by Neelix; 2011-01-21 at 01:59 AM.

why would it be 'YOOZE'? isnt it explaining the use (yoose) of the item?

doesnt matter. if i say "poh-tay-toh" i'm sure someone will say "poh-tah-toh"

10+ Year Old Account
    This item has a use: [BOOM, here it is]

S not Z
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so you posted a picture of a WoW item.. guess what. That doesn't make your topic about WoW.

Shrug, was a fine topic nonetheless. Re-opened and moved to off-topic.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Fun Forums.

I use both ways of pronunciation for "use." Like you pointed out above, it can be said differently depending on the sentence. (Just like pronouncing read (reed) vs. read (red)) I don't think anyone who speaks English fluently ONLY pronounces it one way all the time. If you did, a lot of sentences would just sound really silly (or they would to me). Personally think there should be a "Both" option on the poll, otherwise I'm not voting.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Conno View Post
    a pointless but excellent question.
    Glad I could be of service.

Quote Originally Posted by Phage0070 View Post
    No, its the (s) sound as in "what is the use?", or in other words as a noun. Who every uses "on + verb"?

"On run", "On laugh", "On juggle" all are a bit awkward wouldn't you say?

"On time", "On point", "On topic" are all very normal and common.

I say that "on + noun" is what was intended.
    Ah, but 'use' can be a noun, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightlark View Post
    Why such a long thread for such a simple answer...

It reads,
    Use: Transforms caster to look like a member of the opposing faction. (30 Min Cooldown)

If it was a different pronunciation shouldn't it say something like:
    On Use: Transforms caster to look like a member of the opposing faction. (30 Min Cooldown)
    But, if you think about it, the item really has no use (S) - until it is used (Z), it's use(S)less. Only when you, in fact, use(Z) it, does it gain the benefit of having a use (S).

Deleted
    This item has this uSe
    uZe this item to get this effect

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

It sounds so absolutely incorrect: "Use: Increases your haste rating by 5000 for 20 seconds."

'This item's use is to increase your haste rating', not 'use this! increase your haste rating!'
    It sounds completely correct to me. It seems to be an imperative to me - a command. Those use the bare verb form, which in this case is use(z). The use(s) of the item is any passive effect as well as the effect it has when activated.