Thread: PvP Spec Test

PvP Spec Test

Just thought I would share with you guys a test I did with Frost vs Unholy. I have a restro druid arena partner. He is pretty awesome at healing and has 3745 resilience. I'm at ilvl 358 in all PvP gear with the PvP weapon. Last night I had him stand and let me beat on him with a Frost spec and then an Unholy spec. He did not move at all and there was no control used (no silence, interrupts, ghoul stun, or anything else).

Frost:
    We saw big numbers and seemed like it was doing a ton of damage. The problem is that I would run out of runes very fast in unholy or frost presence. After the runes were gone damage was LOL and it took a while to get back up. Even with all runes and hitting empowered rune weapon, I only dipped his life down to about 70%. Also note that his mana was pretty much right at 100% the whole time and he only had to use instant casts. This was tried using necrotic strike and without.

Unholy:
    About the same as above except a little better on overall damage. Hits were not as big, but they came in much quicker + the ghoul damage. Until the ghoul gets transformed and I bring out the gargoyle. Then he starts to really go down very fast. He pops tree form and heals very hard. He lives, but his mana is very low. Gargoyle goes away and I'm still bringing him down in mana when my ghoul gets transformed. Then he loses the duel. This was tried using necrotic strike. I might try again without it.

He could not take the damage from unholy and /yawned at frost.

The purpose of this test was for me to personally see the difference in damage on a resilience target between the 2 specs. I was VERY surprised to see frost so low. I was thinking that post PTR patch that frost would be way ahead of UH, but after this I think UH will still be on top for PvP pressure, burst, and damage.

Thoughts? I might be doing it wrong. I don't usually play frost in PvP. I have played it in PvE though and it wrecks stuff, so it makes this hard to understand.
    Last edited by Xajin; 2011-01-20 at 06:41 PM.

YOU FAIL!

in my current pvp team in (3v3) i 3shotted a Rdruid with 3.6k resi

and YES I AM FROST DK! IN PVE SPEC!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urass View Post
    YOU FAIL!

Very helpful and constructive feedback there

Quote Originally Posted by Urass View Post
    YOU FAIL!

I see you trollin'.

Did you test the difference between DW frost and 2-H? This is also something I was interesting in trying so thanks for the info.

the basics about DKs currently is that yes you do low dmg...

but then again Necrotic/Necrotic/Necrotic (omg it can absorb 1000k healing done) BURST! dead

You can't stack Necrotic on a healer free casting. The absorb might as well be raw damage. Except vs bark skin, pain supp, etc. (which is why I used it over SS). I don't think DKs do low damage either...

I was using a 2h frost spec because I have the epic 2h PvP weapon and no epic DW weapons. I do have some nice blue DW weapons, but I don't think it would be a good comparison.

Deleted
    all the guys are loving necro strike because of the absorb.. just a reminder it also reduce his casting speed by 30%.. very usefull against shammys priests and palas especially.

To be honest... I find my self putting out more pressure as a frost 2H DK than an UH 2H DK. I don't really know why.

My gear isn't that great (blue sword, crafted PvP blues + honor gear) but just from my time playing both specs I feel like I have more control and more pressure as frost.

At the start of Cata when I first hit 85, it seemed like frost had OP damage in duels. I don't think a lot has changed, so I don't know why my damage last night was so low. I rechecked glyphs, spec, and skills. Maybe frost doesn't scale as well vs resilience? Maybe UH scales better with the PvP gear?

There are very high rated DKs that use frost. I just need as much damage and pressure as I can get in our comp because in 2s it is very hard to down other comps with healers. It will be interesting to see how much pressure and damage I will be able to put out after the patch. I really don't want to go back to S8 when most of our arena matches lasted 30+ minutes.