Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to stop Scorch from being cast?

So, i was in a hc this morning and all was going fine. Before the next trash pull, i accidentally pressed Scorch, while the tank wasn't ready. I tried to cancel it, but i couldn't. I jumped up, i moved, but the cast bar kept going and going. The pack was pulled, but we managed.

The thing that struck me, though, was that i can't cancel Scorch from being cast after i started casting it. No matter what you do, Scorch must be cast.
    Later on the dummies i tried several things.Casting other spells, jumping (again), nothing...

So, the question is simple. How do we stop Scorch, if we accidentally press it when we shouldn't?

Deleted
    Press 'Esc'?

Deleted
    Turn away from los.

Escape key is default for canceling spell cast.

Deleted
    A macro with '/stopcasting', although all options above are easier and faster to remember in my opinion.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    yup ^^^ there are your two options... but beleive me i know about both of these ways to stop but it ive done exactly the same thing and in a quick panic didnt hit esc or turn in time haha

I have a macro bound to the grave key. I think it's called that, left of number one above tab...

It stops casting, cancels levitate and dismounts me. One key for everything!

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    simple turning around should do the trick

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashori View Post
    The thing that struck me, though, was that i can't cancel Scorch from being cast after i started casting it. No matter what you do, Scorch must be cast.
    Later on the dummies i tried several things.Casting other spells, jumping (again), nothing...
    You have picked a talent which allows you to cast scorch while moving if molten armor is active. It's a great talent which allows you to dps while being on the move, but if you feel it's too unsafe, spec out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll bite and assume this isn't a troll. With Cataclysm they changed the fire tree so that the Firestarter skill allows mages to cast scorch while moving. This provides significant added mobility to a fire mage and is absolutely critical to any fire build. That said, the way I take care of this is either: a.) Hit Escape. This will cancel any spell you are actively casting, and always has b.) Use one of my /stopcasting macros (various macros tied to different abilities of mine, ie every time I hit counterspell I actually do /stopcasting /cast Counterspell as a two-line macro) OR c.) I turn my back to the target. While you can scorch on the run, you can't scorch targets behind you still.
    Last edited by Gnomity; 2011-01-20 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Edit: corrected link. Wrong Firestarter talent ;)

So, i was in a hc this morning and all was going fine. Before the next trash pull, i accidentally pressed Scorch, while the tank wasn't ready. I tried to cancel it, but i couldn't. I jumped up, i moved, but the cast bar kept going and going. The pack was pulled, but we managed.

So, the question is simple. How do we stop Scorch, if we accidentally press it when we shouldn't?
    ^ Winner of 2011's, Best Noob Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvaa View Post
    Press 'Esc'?
    One of those "duh" moments on my part...!

That must be the only thing i didn't try. Thx all for the amazingly fast replies. Don't you people have anything better to do? )

Turn around?

"target must be in front of you..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I never said Ret was faceroll, I said your bitching is a mirror image to that entire community's attitude. You'd fit in well over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwine77 View Post
    I'd never send death threats, because it is just a game.

However, if I ever met the guy at Blizzard responsible for murlocs ... I think I'd slug him. Just one hard punch to the face ... while yelling WHARBLGARBLGARBLGARBLGARBL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomity View Post
    I'll bite and assume this isn't a troll.
    What's with the troll hunt in these forums? Regular troll police in here *sigh*

---------- Post added 2011-01-20 at 02:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slashnox View Post
    I would like to thank the academy...

/rant

10+ Year Old Account
    What's with the troll hunt in these forums? Regular troll police in here *sigh*
    Well, basically you have picked a talent which does nothing other than allowing scorch from being cast while moving, then asking why you can't stop it from casting. My guess is that you followed a guide when picking your talents and didn't actually take note of what each talent did. Others might think you're trying to act stupid, but hey, you thanked us and your problem is solved

Quote Originally Posted by Yavannie View Post
    Well, basically you have picked a talent which does nothing other than allowing scorch from being cast while moving, then asking why you can't stop it from casting. My guess is that you followed a guide when picking your talents and didn't actually take note of what each talent did. Others might think you're trying to act stupid, but hey, you thanked us and your problem is solved
    Well, you couldn't possibly be further from the truth. I didn't ask why i can't stop it from being cast.I know WHY i can't stop it. I asked HOW to stop it. Noob and silly question as it may be, it doesn't mean i don't know what the talent does.
    On that note, i could return the "troll" characterization to all who jump to arbitrary conclusions, just to boost their e-peens and feel good about themselves. But it would be an exercise to futility, as that is the norm in here and not the exception (i'm not referring personally to you, btw)

10+ Year Old Account
    1. press escape?
    2. turn around?

srsly? a thread for this??

Quote Originally Posted by Slashnox View Post
    yup. by far xD

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    1. press escape?
    2. turn around?

srsly? a thread for this??

yup. by far xD
    Weeell, not everyone is a demigod like you. But seriously? What does it say about you making a post, in such a noob,stupid thread then?

Deleted
    I just made this macro normal click casts scorch single right click stops casting hope it helps ^^
    #showtooltip Scorch
    /stopcasting [button:2]
    /use Scorch

Quote Originally Posted by Drauer View Post
    simple turning around should do the trick
    thats what I do
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.