Slightly Disappointed - Boss Mechanics.

So, after seeing the fact that Sinestra was yet another add fight, i'm slightly disappointed due to the fact that it seems pretty hard to create an encounter that is "truely challenging" without adding a tonne of adds to the mix. I for one loathe add fights and have done since the dawn of time (Been playing since Vanilla beta and defeated every encounter since), so for a great deal of the Cataclysm bosses to include adds, adds and more adds was somewhat of a large disappointment for me.

Now i'm not here to say "I could do better" etc, and I know the good majority of mechanics have been used before, but considering the budget that goes in to making what could be the most popular MMO of all time, I personally think a bit more creativity and flare could go in to the encounters as opposed to "we'll just put adds in to make it harder". A great example for this for me would be Lich King heroic. Most people considered this one of the hardest fights in WoW history but does it not trouble anyone else that almost all the adds, the lowly minions of a colossal threat, posed comparable or even more danger than LK himself?

I must admit I like what they did with Atramedes, it is probably my favourite fight in Cata so far, especially since, bar the huge explosion crap that needs to be interrupted with gongs, the entirety of the damage can be avoided if you're not dim-witted.

TL;DR - I don't like add fights, was wondering if other people don't like them either.

Also, just to point out, I don't dislike add fights because they're "hard", for me as a dps they're just as trivial as most of the mechanics in this game. I just don't like how Blizzard keeps putting them in almost every boss nowadays.

Well, if you consider the fact that almost every fight nowadays consists of at least one thing you have to make sure you don't stand in, the lack of originality doesn't surprise me at all. I mean, when one of the questions people ask in every fight is "what should we not stand in this time", it's pretty clear that Blizzard needs a new sleeve, as the current one doesn't have any more tricks up it.

Perhaps we should go back to fights in Vanilla with mechanics like "Someone in your raid randomly dies every 30 seconds".
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Yea, i dont think its surprising the first tier of an expansion is full of old "tricks" and 1 sided dice (adds). Its the first tier. They're saving the good stuff for the next couple tiers that we will prob be stuck running for the next year or more and are actually supposed to be HARD.
    Last edited by openair; 2011-01-20 at 08:55 PM.

I like them to a degree, but fights where you're fighting the boss alone seems cooler. I draw the line at Valithria, not only was the fight only about adds, but it was also damn too easy. I'll agree that fight where no adds spawn seems coolest (Atramedes is a good example), although it is kind of ironic since Ragnaros is still my favorite fight. Now what I don't like, is trio fights, they have always ticked me off, although the Wind Council looks promising, im not impressed by Omnitron Council, although I haven't seen all of the fights mechanics (haven't gone to raiding in Cata yet).

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    I like them to a degree, but fights where you're fighting the boss alone seems cooler. I draw the line at Valithria, not only was the fight only about adds, but it was also damn too easy. I'll agree that fight where no adds spawn seems coolest (Atramedes is a good example), although it is kind of ironic since Ragnaros is still my favorite fight. Now what I don't like, is trio fights, they have always ticked me off, although the Wind Council looks promising, im not impressed by Omnitron Council, although I haven't seen all of the fights mechanics (haven't gone to raiding in Cata yet).
    Fully enough I consider Ragnaros also one of my favourite fights. However I have a feeling that's more to do with Nostalgia an the fact that it was my first ever epic scale fight in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't in Paragon/For the Horde then you can't talk about Sinestra. Yes, you know there are adds, and yes you know that they used to be CCed but, that's all you know. It could be once during a 20 min fight. They could be unkillable. They could buff the boss. They could do a lot of things that have NEVER been done in WoW before. So stop making baseless assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    If you aren't in Paragon/For the Horde then you can't talk about Sinestra. Yes, you know there are adds, and yes you know that they used to be CCed but, that's all you know. It could be once during a 20 min fight. They could be unkillable. They could buff the boss. They could do a lot of things that have NEVER been done in WoW before. So stop making baseless assumptions.
    My assumptions are far from baseless, since I already pointed out that after 6 years (and during that time) i've always loathed add fights. Regardless of other mechanics i've never liked them and thus i'm a tad disappointed due to that fact. Also, just from looking at their dps logs it's obvious that the adds are killable and frequent due to the sheer numbers they've acquired.

Regardless, Sinestra was merely a foot-note on my whole post, the majority of my post is concerning the fights i've seen in Cata, which is everything bar Sinestra.

Didn't someone from Paragon say that this was the hardest tier of content to date....

15+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, every single boss fight is limited to a room, which stays static (except fights like Malygos, Al'Akir, Lich King to name out of top of my head). And with the amount of raid bosses that have been designed up to this point (that's about 160 bosses, I may have missed some), it's only natural that some things may seem familliar.

The alternate power bar opens up new possibilities (Atramedes, Cho'gall and to some degree Yogg-Saron), and we could expect that to be used in future fights (maybe in Firelands where you have to balance your characters body temperature or something), but what I think Blizzard should do is make the surrounding area make a bit more dynamic outside the usual void zones of restriction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaris View Post
    My assumptions are far from baseless, since I already pointed out that after 6 years (and during that time) i've always loathed add fights. Regardless of other mechanics i've never liked them and thus i'm a tad disappointed due to that fact. Also, just from looking at their dps logs it's obvious that the adds are killable and frequent due to the sheer numbers they've acquired.

Regardless, Sinestra was merely a foot-note on my whole post, the majority of my post is concerning the fights i've seen in Cata, which is everything bar Sinestra.
    I can say for certain it's not add based. If you look at their meters you will see a SPriest at #6. SPriests suck at AoE (Blizzard even said so themselves). Even assuming this SPriest is a god, there is no way it's out AoEing all the mages and all the hunters.

I can say for certain it's not add based. If you look at their meters you will see a SPriest at #6. SPriests suck at AoE (Blizzard even said so themselves). Even assuming this SPriest is a god, there is no way it's out AoEing all the mages and all the hunters.
    well if you look at the SS they took during the fight you will see there is the Red dragnflight NPC there clashing power beams with Sinestra. For all we know this could really change how anyones DPS is. So just going off the fact that mind seer is awful is a poor attempt to prove your argument. You said before that none of us know the fight, neither do you so stop making assumptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelchan View Post
    well if you look at the SS they took during the fight you will see there is the Red dragnflight NPC there clashing power beams with Sinestra. For all we know this could really change how anyones DPS is. So just going off the fact that mind seer is awful is a poor attempt to prove your argument. You said before that none of us know the fight, neither do you so stop making assumptions.
    I don't think you understand how bad SPriest AoE is. Basically it hits fewer possible targets than any other AoE AND it does less damage per tick than Blizzard or Serpent Sting. Even if the boss buffed shadow damage on the adds you'd see the Death Knight below the SPriest out DPSing them as DnD does more damage than Mind Sear (It's really, really sad).

I don't think you understand how bad SPriest AoE is. Basically it hits fewer possible targets than any other AoE AND it does less damage per tick than Blizzard or Serpent Sting. Even if the boss buffed shadow damage on the adds you'd see the Death Knight below the SPriest out DPSing them as DnD does more damage than Mind Sear (It's really, really sad).
    I have an 85 s.priest, I do know how awful it is. Its not even on any of my hot bars. I just use holy nova because it does about the same and heals. But my point was the maybe there is an ability that is granted to you or a vehicle bar that gives you a new attack that is something that none of us have taken into account. Until they release the video or we do the fight ourselves then this is all just speculation.