Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I need help with a warlock in my raid

Well we have our warlock in our 10 man group and he doesnt want to go demo cause it pulls lower numbers. He is going off what forums say, so are people taking into account full raid buffs when they say which spec is better because without our lock going demo we are missing 10% sp buff.

Yes i already know that he should go demo for benefit of raid seeing as we dont have a shammy or mage in group, but he wont listen to that so im trying to convince him that it pulls more dps.

So any help would be apperciated

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell him he is a selfish bastard and gkick him.

Sorry not a warlock lol.
    Feral Druids are the most "feared" class in PvP.
    Warodl - Warod

Maybe let him play the spec he wants to play?

Let people play what they want.

DPS specs are close enough and enough classes give out each buff (6% spell damage isn't that much worse than 10%) so that you should never have to force or drop anyone due to such.

Honestly, destruction is pretty much the top spec atm at low end gear. If you play it right you should see upwards of 19k dps in a 10 man raid thats not a movement intense/add heavy fight, so like i used to tell my old guild. Unless the rest of the raid is gonna make up for the dmg i lost when i switched to buff the raid that i was already carrying, im not gonna switch. Overall raid dps > personal dps, so if you're pulling more weight than everyone else, dont switch.

Deleted
    Well youll need some pretty good casters to make up for his personal loss if you force him to go demo. And as I can see you dont even have a mage...so honestly it might nerf, not only him, but also your raid to force him to go demo...Let the man play what he likes as long as he can pull the numbers he should.

10+ Year Old Account
    To make up for the change to demo you'd need at least 2 equal or better caster dps classes, and thats assuming he's just as good at demo as he is at destro.

Honestly? He should want to switch, if you do have enough caster dps to make up for the dps loss. But if he's not interested in playing demo, he's not going to perform as well as he would in another spec. You may have better luck with him in 4.0.6 though, as it looks like demo dps is getting normalized.

Or just get a shaman or mage.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Deleted
    You will be unable to convince him that demo puts out more dps than his current spec, for one reason only... It doesnt!

But that doesnt change the fact that he is a selfish prick unwilling to assist guildprogress, the other casters AND healers are missing out on 10% sp.

The rest of the people in this thread are only thinking about dps, where as 2-4 healers will benefit a ton from the 10% sp aswell!

Get him to respec and kick him, its really that simple... His attitude will not assist in guildprogress

I have mixed reviews. i play to enjoy the game and i can see his point on wanting to do the best he can HOWEVER, he also needs to keep his guilds overall performance in mind. right now locks are allllll screwed up and the coming patch will help fix some issues...probably creating more in the process but for now i would just tell him to go demo until patch to see where dps stands cuz things are going to be changing alot for locks.

He is selfish noob, he can pull better damage like Demo on AoE fights (and in 10-man is AoE sometimes problem, when you havent class for it) than Destro, and good played Demo can be verry close to Destro on fights without Bane of Havoc (maybe better with good use of CDs). 4% spell power is lot of damage and he will help DPS and Healers too.

Ooooh how I hate ppl like that Warlock, give him simple options - change build for help everyone, or search another guild/raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morath View Post
    4% spell power is lot of damage and he will help DPS and Healers too.

Ooooh how I hate ppl like that Warlock, give him simple options - change build for help everyone, or search another guild/raid.
    Its even 10% spell power, which makes it that much worse!

And /agree

Without knowing him, and his skill, it's really hard to say, but I suspect you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

As a fictional example...let's say Affliction had a totally awesome buff that no other spec in the raid could potentially provide. Let's say my guild or raid wanted me to go Affliction to get it. I have *never* raided as Affliction. I don't know rotations, my gear isn't chosen or reforged for it, my addons are not set up for it. My DPS would drop like a rock, even if Affliction was theorycrafted to be the top spec, and I doubt there's any buff out there, fictional or otherwise, that would realistically make up for it if you did the numbers to figure out the increase other casters would get from my buff. If your lock is in a similar boat--they're just not set up or skilled for Demo--you could see something like this happening if you made him switch. Yay, you get the buff...oh shit, the lock's numbers went in the gutter because he's not as skilled at demo, and overall you're pulling less than before.

People are people, not computer simulations. You'll probably have better results letting him play what he wants to play, instead of forcing him into a spec he doesn't care for for a theoretical advantage. I have never seen a boss that was dropped solely on the presence or absence of a buff...I have seen a boss drop due to bringing in a better-playing individual, regardless of class or spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah dude its guna be a long stretch to convince him that demo is more personal dps, but you could explain to him that it would be more dps for lets say the raid total dps, also that by doing this your not only helping the caster dps your also helping the healers heal more.

healing as it is can be very stressful at times, so any means to help relief some of that stress is a huge help.

if he still fails to see reason to this you might want to consider replacing him.

but in saying that your warlock could have a point i myself am not a fan of demo as it is with tight as timers to be competitive etc, and really who wants to play as something that your going to see constantly low on pretty much evey fight in the current raiding tier, that being said i myself raid in 25mans for this reason there normally is someone else covering that 10% spell power mostly the shamans.

i am a firm believer in helping out for a time being but should it be a long term thing then i would myself look else where, as i prefer my affliction dps alot of the time, as i go by this rule, play what you enjoy playing. should by some miracle demo becomes more multi target managable " unless its grand scale aoe", i try to avoid it.
    Last edited by crazyness; 2011-01-21 at 08:45 AM.

Tell him I am a Demo lock and wont go Aff or Destro because the numbers arent there.

Demo is great DPS plus you help everyone out with 10% SP buff/raid. And its survivability is better than Aff or Destro, which means less healing has to be done to you and can be focused on more important targets.

It all depends in the guild actually. If your guild is a hardcore one with high hopes and want to kill all hc bosses asap, then only if u r sure that this warlock is the problem u can have him replaced, but i really dought that all of the other players are top ones. If u r more like a simple guild, then u might be able to convince him to have some tries like that to help the guild and see the numbers and do accordingly, if u r more casuals, more friendly raiding etc, then let him play the way he wants...

From the sounds of it, he is good and he just dont wanna respec, if the others cant catch him by far, then its the other's problem, not his fault, if the healing is low, then your healers should step up.

Like i said, too many thing to takw into account that we dont know ..
    Got a Warlock as a main, a Druid and a DK at 80 as alts and lvling a Rogue..

"You are only as good player, as the guild you are into"

Deleted
    I'm asuming you aren't a hardcore raiding guild since you haven't automatically kicked him. As a former raid leader of a social raiding guild here's what I'd do: Present the arguments why. Ask him if he's willing to at least try demo for an evening, and offer to pay the costs of the respec/glyph/forge.

Make it so he has nothing to lose, basically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac84 View Post
    Tell him I am a Demo lock and wont go Aff or Destro because the numbers arent there.

Demo is great DPS plus you help everyone out with 10% SP buff/raid. And its survivability is better than Aff or Destro, which means less healing has to be done to you and can be focused on more important targets.
    I am going to have to disagree with you there in terms of survival in raids, affliction has very potent self healing compared to demo, and destro has nether ward/nether protection + soul leech, and with nether ward most of the raid damage you will be taking is normally magic damage this ability is a huge help in reducing that damge, aswell as giving your nether proctection, reducing that said damage by 30% for 12sec.
    Last edited by crazyness; 2011-01-21 at 09:04 AM.

Deleted
    Its simple really... Noone should be in a raiding guild if they are not prepared to help the other 9/24 players with something as simple as respeccing and learning something about the class they are playing...

I absolutely LOVE afflication and would play it all the time if i could... But for my entire ICC raiding "carreer" (Eolled lock in ICC again) i was playing demo for the buff, and i hated it... But it helped the rest of the raid, both in 10 and 25 mans!

Really, a guy unwilling to help the guild shouldnt be there

Without a mage/shaman it makes sense to go Demonology. Have you maybe offered that the guild would cover any costs of respecing like well respecing, or any gems/reforging/glyphs he needs. And maybe offer him some sort of reward if he does switch specs, masters it, and runs in a certain number of raids, it doesn't have to be much, but that might give him just a little extra incentive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you blame him for wanting to play whatever he find the most fun? No..

Can he blame you for wanting the 10% spellpower buff? No..

Imo, you should recruit a Demo/Shaman/Mage, and ask the current lock to look for a new guild, where he can have fun and play with his desired spec.