10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading question

I was planning to upgrade my entire computer, but, upon thinking about it, I decided to maybe save some money and get something for my boyfriend plus some upgrades instead. So, my question relates to how well my system will be after I make some "minor" upgrades.

I'm currently running with OCZ Platinum Enhanced 4GB GDDR2 RAM. An AMD Athlon II X2 250 3Ghz 2MB AM3 CPU. A Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Motherboard. and my video card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 260 at 896MB GDDR3. I also have a brand new Caviar Black 1TB HDD which is SATA 6.0. I currently have Windows 7 32bit.

My plan is to replace the motherboard, processor, and ram. I planned to get the Asus M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 Motherboard - AMD 880GX, Socket AM3, ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, RAID, SATA 6.0GB/s (or something very similar), an AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 970 @ 3.5GHz, and going up to 8GB GDDR3 RAM (brand of RAM may vary depending on what is on sale) with Windows 7 64bit.

If I DON'T replace my video card, will my graphics still be shitty or is my current processor bogging it down? I also plan to maybe overclock the new processor (my current one is not overclocked) so that may help my video card perform better?

Or do I REALLY need to upgrade to the 400 series?

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 09:49 AM ----------

No body has an opinion/suggestion?
    Last edited by bearxfoo; 2011-01-21 at 01:12 AM.

Well your CPU is an old AMD dual core, so I would recommend upgrading that first. Your graphics card is decent, and should be more than good enough for WoW once you upgrade your CPU. However, I would highly recommend that you go with an Intel CPU instead. They perform much better than AMD in most games and applications. I would highly recommend an Intel i5 2500k which is one of the overall fastest CPUs available right now, and it's only $225 on newegg.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Well your CPU is an old AMD dual core, so I would recommend upgrading that first. Your graphics card is decent, and should be more than good enough for WoW once you upgrade your CPU. However, I would highly recommend that you go with an Intel CPU instead. They perform much better than AMD in most games and applications. I would highly recommend an Intel i5 2500k which is one of the overall fastest CPUs available right now, and it's only $225 on newegg.
    Yeah, last night I actually looked into getting an Intel board and CPU but I ultimately decided that I honestly can't afford that. It would up my total (which is somewhere around $450) to around $550 or more and that defeats the purpose of me not getting a GPU to save money, lol.

I'd love an Intel based system but that'll have to wait for me to win the lotto :P