Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Goblin vs. Troll as shadow

I'm a human shadowpriest and I'm looking into switching factions for the horde. But here is the question: What race is better for a shadowpriest? Troll or Goblin?

Troll: Berserk for 20% haste on cooldown

Goblin: 1% haste all the time

Thoughts?
    "I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role." ~ WoWHead

If you heading for the race char, I would recommend Goblin, anyway, it's a new race which u've ever played before.

Deleted
    Orcs> all.
    Troll comes as a close second.

Goblins are at the bottom of the food chain, next to gnomes.

My understanding is that goblin haste is the best throughput racial horde has, or at least for casters. I could be mistaken, this is what I read on the internet.

Berserking has a 3 min CD and a 10 sec duration so in theory it equals to (0,1*10) /180 = 0,555% haste if you can use it always when it is up, while Time is Money is a flat 1% at all times.

My understanding is that if you read the tooltip time is money is not haste but and increase to casting and attack speed. Basically this doesn't mean much except for dots, since its not actual haste it won't add ticks so for a dot based class it doesn't provide much benefit. If i'm wrong please correct me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Layre View Post
    My understanding is that if you read the tooltip time is money is not haste but and increase to casting and attack speed. Basically this doesn't mean much except for dots, since its not actual haste it won't add ticks so for a dot based class it doesn't provide much benefit. If i'm wrong please correct me.
    You're wrong, it's a flat 1% increase and counts towards haste thresholds for dots.

ah yes, i believe you're correct. it looks like it would not effect dots, so troll would be the prefered race. OR i could go tauren for the lulz.
    "I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role." ~ WoWHead

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Blood Elf, arcana torrent for mana

Quote Originally Posted by hotbanana View Post
    Blood Elf, arcana torrent for mana
    pfft. Mana problems as SPriest? Preposterous!

Deleted
    That is correct (Time Is Money is NOT Haste). But the key is that Berserking is on-use trinket. Even if the two racials were identical in terms of overall effect, the better dps racial would always be Berserking. This is because one of the best ways to increase damage, with or without a hard burn/execute phase, is to stack CDs. Berserking + raid buffs + pots + Blood Lust/Heroism is insane damage when you most *need* it.

Goblin racial is a passive 1% all the time. In a sense, the racial as a dps is being wasted across the duration of an encounter because its being used in periods when you need to do just enough instead of going all out.

That said, the difference between the two, for exactly the reasons you just gave - that shamans are not a dot class - is minimal enough that you can just ignore it unless you're min-maxing to an extreme (but then you wouldn't be asking on an MMO-C forum). Of course, as a healer, Time Is Money is a very useful sustained throughput racial (better than Berserking imo).

Also, not only are the other goblin racials superb, but you will probably find levelling a goblin very fun!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2011-01-21 at 07:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought that both racials weren't haste but casting speed,anyways.

Choose whatever you like actually, the difference is minimal and you won't even noticed it.
    From my point of view 1% static in better than a situational CD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's funny people actually pick races for the racials.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze
    That is correct (Time Is Money is NOT Haste).
    That is incorrect. Time is money IS haste.
    The tooltip is similar to Bloodlust / heroism ("Increases melee, ranged, and spell casting speed by 30%), they both use the same effect Apply Aura: Mod Spell Haste % with different values and Bloodlust / Heroism affects DoTs, so it shouldn't take having a goblin to say Time is money also affect DoTs.

You reminded me of a guy here said Shadowform doesn't affect DoTs because it's spell haste (instead of haste) a while a go =P

Deleted
    Both racials increase casting speed, not haste. Which means that this guy's calculation is correct:

Quote Originally Posted by Difuid View Post
    Berserking has a 3 min CD and a 10 sec duration so in theory it equals to (0,1*10) /180 = 0,555% haste if you can use it always when it is up, while Time is Money is a flat 1% at all times.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=69042
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=26297

imo undead are always the best preists

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Both racials increase casting speed, not haste. Which means that this guy's calculation is correct:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=69042
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=26297
    Actually this math is incorrect, because Berserking is 20% increase, not 10%.

so it would be (0.2 * 10) / 180 = 1.1% (repeating)

Even if Time is Money is haste, Berserking ekes out slightly ahead. The other benefit is that you can cast Berserking with shadowfiend and Dark Archangel, giving you increased benefit.

Pythagoreant is correct.

Troll > Goblin. Berserking can be stacked with other cooldowns as well as giving slightly more overall haste. The opposite is true of healers, but you'll typically want to be Blood Elf for that anyway.

Not sure why berskering would help with your shadowfiend CD, the only haste benefit applicable to fiend is BL/Heroism/Time Warp etc.

As for which race to choose, racials make next to no difference in the grand scheme of things. At best choosing the correct race will increase your performance by 0.000001% and unless you're in a top 5 guild doing world first content that sort of advantage is beyond meaningless. Considering you're asking these forums for advice I can safely assume you're not in a top 5 guild so i'd simply choose the race you prefer to look at for long periods of time.