Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I've been playing Starkingdoms (text based web game, google it) for about 12 years. As I said it's text based, so there's no animation what so ever.

Basically you create a kingdom and grow it for the duration of the round (2 months) and compete against other people. You grow your kingdom by exploring/attacking for land, and build an army to defend your land.

People spend hours creating strategies on how to best start their round.

You can read up much more about it on wikipedia or visiting the website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Now that... That would be a game I would play the crap out of.
    Lame can't find it to vote on the steam client, but I'll be keeping an eye out on this for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Lame can't find it to vote on the steam client, but I'll be keeping an eye out on this for sure.
    It's under Concepts rather than Games. Here's the kickstarter for it too which has extra videos etc; http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-stomping-land.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I wouldn't call Cubeworld a crafting game personally, you can learn recipes to make items but it's limited even compared to something like WoW's crafting system (pick up cotton, convert cotton to cloth and then turn cloth into armor in about 3 mouse clicks) and the weapon design is placing a very limited amount of extra blocks onto a pre-existing item.

The Stomping Land could be one to keep an eye on, I dislike the name but it definitely has potential. Currently very early in development on Greenlight (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=142490129).

The Stomping Land looks AWESOME !!! I loved the youtube video. I look forward to this one as well. Thanks for showing that one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTDawson View Post
    The Stomping Land looks AWESOME !!! I loved the youtube video. I look forward to this one as well. Thanks for showing that one.
    OMG OMG OMG !!! i want this game!!!!

Ever since i played carnivores back in the day i always dreamed of a game like this!!!!

OK, I don't remember if someone mentioned it in this thread or not. But I found this game that is .. well.. blockish.. but.. pretty dang amazing !!!

Free game too.

STARMADE
    http://star-made.org/

A youtube video to give you an idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37g4SrtmWU

10+ Year Old Account
    Anno 1404 is an amazing city building game.

You are given a starting island to start your city on, and then you get to expand to other islands. The economy is very interesting in this game as you have different 'levels' of your population. Your population starts off as peasants, and then as they become happier and you grow your city they become citizens, patricians and finally noblemen.

The economy comes in to play as each level of your population has different needs. Peasants are happy with simple cider and fish, while citizens are pickier and want spices for their fish. You can only get spices from orient (desert) lands so early on you need to trade with the orient to keep your population happy. Then, as your citizens turn into patricians they want bread. So you can either invest a massive amount of gold expanding to an island that you can farm wheat on or use diplomacy to trade with other lands.

Likewise, you can trade your own goods for gold. So it's basically a really fun expansion/diplomacy/trading game. You can build an army as well, if you want, but usually I build up a trade empire. XD

The best sandbox game right now has to be Wurm Online. You can make houses, found a village, go to war for a kingdom, kill dangerous creatures, etc etc. It was made by Notch (creator of minecraft), so it has to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Arowhun View Post
    The best sandbox game right now has to be Wurm Online. You can make houses, found a village, go to war for a kingdom, kill dangerous creatures, etc etc. It was made by Notch (creator of minecraft), so it has to be good.
    Yea I started playing WURM back in 2009. Played it up until 2012. If it wasn't for their censoring people and literally removing posts from youtube and their forums, people might actually enjoy it. They over censor everything. No one can say anything without the feeling that "Big Brother" is watching you from the staff. Notch left do to issues with the current person in charge way back when the game first began it's creation. So that should also tell you something about WURM if notch founded it, and then left. There are many many many other issues with WURM I can't even begin to tell you do to there is too many to list, all because of the way Rolf handles that company. Lot's of us old timers have left WURM, and don't even bother with it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Anno 1404 is an amazing city building game.

You are given a starting island to start your city on, and then you get to expand to other islands. The economy is very interesting in this game as you have different 'levels' of your population. Your population starts off as peasants, and then as they become happier and you grow your city they become citizens, patricians and finally noblemen.

The economy comes in to play as each level of your population has different needs. Peasants are happy with simple cider and fish, while citizens are pickier and want spices for their fish. You can only get spices from orient (desert) lands so early on you need to trade with the orient to keep your population happy. Then, as your citizens turn into patricians they want bread. So you can either invest a massive amount of gold expanding to an island that you can farm wheat on or use diplomacy to trade with other lands.

Likewise, you can trade your own goods for gold. So it's basically a really fun expansion/diplomacy/trading game. You can build an army as well, if you want, but usually I build up a trade empire. XD
    If you like 1404, try 2070. It's graphics have improved a LOT.
    Last edited by TorakTu; 2013-08-09 at 01:23 PM.

I can't recall having my negative posts removed in Wurm forum, and I have seen plenty of those from other people as well. There is a difference between negative post / opinion and simply flaming. I think that you are exaggerating a bit in saying that game could be fun if not the censorship on forum and youtube, which are not part of the game.
    As for Notch leaving - afair it has always been stated he left to work on other project, ie. Minecraft.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    The Stomping Land could be one to keep an eye on, I dislike the name but it definitely has potential. Currently very early in development on Greenlight (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=142490129).
    Holy shit that looks COOL! Definitely going to be keeping my eye on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTDawson View Post
    If you like 1404, try 2070. It's graphics have improved a LOT.
    I've been considering it a lot lately. My only peeve is the setting. The reason I love 1404 so much is the time period.

I'll probably give it a shot eventually. I love the Anno games <3

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I can't recall having my negative posts removed in Wurm forum, and I have seen plenty of those from other people as well. There is a difference between negative post / opinion and simply flaming. I think that you are exaggerating a bit in saying that game could be fun if not the censorship on forum and youtube, which are not part of the game.
    As for Notch leaving - afair it has always been stated he left to work on other project, ie. Minecraft.
    Yes I am fully aware of the difference between flaming and one single negative post. And I have personally seen the comments removed, not only from mine, but from a lot of people who spoke negatively. And NONE of us were flaming. That is not an exaggeration. You had to have been there to understand.

As for notch leaving, yes, he left because of an argument with Rolf. Since they couldn't agree on the direction of WURM, Notch left to create minecraft. This has been common knowledge for 5+ years. Keep in mind, he left WURM in 2006 to work on MC, and during the time between 2007 and 2009 there was a LOT of posts removed because Rolf is VERY sensitive. He finally gave up trying at around 2009. In 2012 the team he hired are the ones removing posts for negativity toward the game, and it has nothing to do with Rolf and Notch in this regard.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been considering it a lot lately. My only peeve is the setting. The reason I love 1404 so much is the time period.

Yes, I love the Anno games a lot myself. I hear through the grapevine they are working on another one.
    Last edited by TorakTu; 2013-08-29 at 11:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

I absolutely loved 1404 but found 2070 to be quite boring and I kinda prefer the setting of 2070. I'm not sure it if was to coincide with the theme or purely a design choice but the game felt a lot smaller, smaller islands with fewer (in total and variation) buildings. Just felt like there was a lot more taken out of the game than there was content added to it. One small thing I did enjoy were the factions themselves, loved the hippies .

Deleted
    Garrys mod its my fav

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by migueljasus View Post
    Garrys mod its my fav
    Probably showing my noobness in video games, but what is gary's mod?

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Probably showing my noobness in video games, but what is gary's mod?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/4000/

His new game is called Rust, it's a survival/sandbox/building shooter game. http://www.playrust.com/
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Came across a Settler/Anno-ish style game that's in development through GamerZakh on Youtube, Banished; http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?page_id=680

Wow, nice find. Thanks!
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for some sandbox games which place emphasis on building / crafting and economy. I don't really care if those are free / paid games or single / multi player. I just like having a game where I can gather some raw materials, build and craft stuff, possibly increase some skills and generally slowly build up and progress. So far I have tried following games:

Wurm
    Minecraft
    A Tale in the Desert
    Dwarf Fortress
    Stranded II
    Simcity 4 / Cities XL
    Transport tycoon
    Haven & Hearth

While Wurm and Tale in the Desert were closest to what I'm looking for, they seemed bit too grindy :S

Does anyone know some other games like this?
    Terraria! It has all the things you described.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.