Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    This Topic is important, dont let it disappear. Procne, 2 months after your last post, how did Salem evolve ? Also, anyone knows a way to get into beta ? Tentonhammer has no keys anymore

According to some post on facebook open beta will start very soon.
    http://www.facebook.com/SalemGame/posts/504024006288105

And since my last post Salem hasn't really evolved - they are currently busy with multi-server support. Content updates will come after that, so right now everyone is waiting. The only change lately was the introduction of boats. Witchcraft, livestock, darkness monsters are still to be introduced.

Also, someone mentioned more sandbox games in other thread:
    http://greedmonger.com/ - open world sandbox in development
    www.perpetuum-online.com - EVE clone but with robots on a planet instead of spaceships in a galaxy

From other news - Xsyon launched free trial. I tried it and was greatly disappointed
    Game seems to be in the middle of development (still...) and creators are planning kickstarter campaign to gather some funds.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted

hey hey

i just stumbled over this game
    Stranded II

Havent tried it yet.. but i am going to tomorrow..
    will let you know what i think of it

Not much info out yet, but it was recently announced that Everquest Next would be focused on this. Considering the same devs made Star Wars Galaxies (whatever you say about the combat; the crafting, sandbox, and skill systems are still unmatched), I'm watching this one closely.

not sure if it was Mentioned but A Game of dwarves is fun for resource gathering and what not, lacking in crafting though, But you can build lots of nice dwarvish things

Well, economy/trading/crafting? Then the ultimate one was mentioned in the first post:
    Dwarf Fortress

Get yourself a gfx pack to avoid the ASCII graphics if you cant look past that and start losing.

Otherwise, EVE offers you pretty much complete freedom, once you get over the initial bump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really liking the look of Salem, hoping the open beta isn't too far off as i'm really eager to play.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    I found this on my regular walks over indie pages:
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/25...=home&a=615607
    Lmao, graphics and UI ripped from Haven & Hearth
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am looking for some sandbox games which place emphasis on building / crafting and economy. I don't really care if those are free / paid games or single / multi player. I just like having a game where I can gather some raw materials, build and craft stuff, possibly increase some skills and generally slowly build up and progress
    I would also suggest EVE Online.
    Sandbox √
    Building / Crafting is one of the professions
    Economy is 100% controlled by players
    Paid subscription, 14 days trial. You can PM me for a 21 day trial.
    You can gather all the raw minerals yourself or buy them on the market and make them into ships, ship equipment, planet harvesting and more.
    EVE is all about skilling up and slowly progressing to become better.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    I would also suggest EVE Online.
    Sandbox √
    Building / Crafting is one of the professions
    Economy is 100% controlled by players
    Paid subscription, 14 days trial. You can PM me for a 21 day trial.
    You can gather all the raw minerals yourself or buy them on the market and make them into ships, ship equipment, planet harvesting and more.
    EVE is all about skilling up and slowly progressing to become better.
    I read somewhere that if you are good, you can actually play for free.
    I once tried that game but I wasn't good. I gave up after few hours. But I would definitely like to try it out with someone to tutor me a bit around and show me how it is done properly. Are you from EU?

if someone gets you a 21d trial you can, with some pretty hard work, obtain enough money to get yourself a subscription through ingame means only.

Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    I read somewhere that if you are good, you can actually play for free.
    I once tried that game but I wasn't good. I gave up after few hours. But I would definitely like to try it out with someone to tutor me a bit around and show me how it is done properly. Are you from EU?
    It doesn't take that much effort to make enough ISK to play for free but it takes some time before you can get to that point, like 2 months of skill-training and getting access to higher level missions.
    (You could even do it the first month but that would take a lot of mining.)

If you do decide to play again you should get a buddy invite deal, like people advertise here, you'll get like 400-450m ISK when you subscribe, having that much starter money really helps you get into the game much faster.

In case anyone is interested in Salem - open beta should come within a month, and for now they are releasing beta keys in batches here http://beta.salemthegame.com/
    Also, there was large update lately with reworked UI and 2 new worlds being open. You can read more here http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1626
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

More Salem keys available at http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/...-Giveaway.html

Also, I have found another fun game - Don't Starve. It's available on Steam since friday http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/
    It's not that complex yet, but hopefully it will get bigger and bigger over time

Deleted
    Lol, was this thread that made me sign up to here.

Deleted
    mostly targeted at procne as he is inital started of this thread and has some great insight, what about under the ocean? U got some insight for that game at us?

I had until now game covering all my crafting needs - Glitch - there were nice economics, detailed cooking, house/yard building, even furniture making. But its all gone from 9.12, as player base was not covering running costs. So after 1.5 years happy sandboxing I now wander forum threads like this with no luck.
    Most promising things are on kickstarter phase now, what doesn't sound promising for me at all. Also, it appears that gameplay without fat explosions can't gather big enough player base to support high quality design and content.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just left the kickstarter phase and not very sure about the economy portion yet, but Castle Story is coming and it looks pretty fun.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

I didn't like glitch, 1d browser game with load times, lots of walking, and more about vanity than any economy system. But that's my opinion.

I already backed Castle Story, will see how it goes

From other news Xsyon started raising additional funds on kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...yon-apocalypse
    And they also reduced price for current version of the game to 30$ for box and 10$ per month
    If anyone's interested then there is also free trial available.