Thread: Graphic Card

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Graphic Card

Im looking foward to buy a new gfraphic card for my pc, there a lot to choose the problem is im afraid to pick a bad card and some friends says ati sucks bla bla nvidia sucks bla bla, i hope u guys can help me choose a decent card for +/- 200€.
    My Pc Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
    Board: Asus P5kpl/1600
    Ram: 4GB
    Graphics: Asus Geforce 8500 GT 512Mb

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    i have an ATI hd 6850 and it works well, loads of power for 150€ bucks.
    for 200€ you could even get the 6870 with even more power.

A suggestion from a seasoned gamer

ToxicHzRd here I'm a PC technician by trade and an avid gamer. I play every COD game, WOW, CS, BC2, MH, SC2, and more. I am currently running multiple computers in my home with graphics cards from both ATI and Nvidia. Personally i prefer Nvidia. For my main gaming PC I'm currently running:

Mobo: Intel DH7BL
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3Ghz Unlocked (I air cooling overclocked it to 4.0)
    Memory: 8gb OCZ DDR3
    Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SSC+

I do not lag in ANYTHING lol with out a doubt the best card i own i also owned a ATI 3870x2 which works well don't get me wrong its a very strong card but when it burned out on me i had alot of difficulty with ATI getting it replaced so i bought the Geforce instead and i havn't been happier now when compaired in testing... well here's the facts

go to Tom's Hardware.com
    click on charts then graphics cards i usually use the 3DMark Score it gives a solid base for comparison

but keep in mind that Nvidia has released the new 500 series which isn't tested and pricing wise well

ATI 3870x2 = 360.00 USD = 265.00 €
    GeForce GTX 460 SSC+ = 210.00 USD = 154.00 €

for the difference in performance (which i honestly don't see) there is no doubt but to go Nvidia its an amazing card and they have great service and the price is unbeatable. My suggestion go with this card Its awesome but it really boils down to personal preference cause the truth is in a few months it wont matter cause their will be a whole new batch from both sides to argue about lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toxichzrd View Post
    ATI 3870x2 = 360.00 USD = 265.00 €
    GeForce GTX 460 SSC+ = 210.00 USD = 154.00 €
    I'm going to go out on a whim here and say, you don't mean 3870's but 5870's.

If my assumption is correct, wouldn't comparing a sli configuration for the gtx be a better comparison?

I mean, nothing like skewing the data set by comparing the price of two cards to the price of one..

Deleted
    Well i used to have a ati card years ago and i was a bad experience it refuses to work with my resolution (1280x800) and sometimes changed the bright and contrast, but well times are diferent now i belive its more easy to configure (i hope) but still im afraid of Ati cards :s

10+ Year Old Account
    You might want to wait and see the price and performance of the new Nvidia GTX 560 that is suspected to be released on Jan 25 before buying a GPU right now. Even if you don't go for that card, the price of the 460 might drop at 560 launch since it will now become somewhat obsolete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    You might want to wait and see the price and performance of the new Nvidia GTX 560 that is suspected to be released on Jan 25 before buying a GPU right now. Even if you don't go for that card, the price of the 460 might drop at 560 launch since it will now become somewhat obsolete.
    Dunno about you but 560's? (you mean 570 / 580?) won't be near £200 mark... more like 260 + that said they will be cheaper...

help me choose a decent card for +/- 200€.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/245520

I have the OC version (not Super OC) and i am EXTREMELY happy with it! ) Rest of the money you can buy some gadgets (cool fans etc..). Also knowing your PSU would be nice
    Last edited by Mister K; 2011-01-21 at 06:16 PM.

Deleted
    Dunno about you but 560's? (you mean 570 / 580?)
    He means Nvidia are releasing the GTX560 the end of Jan and the 460 is now obsolete but still a good card

I bought a Galaxy GTX 460 from tiger direct for $119 after rebates, it plays WoW on ultra with almost no lag. In fact its so good im considering buying a second and SLI bridging them in the future.

Personal experience says that nVidia cards are generally a bit more expensive considering the performance you get out of them, but all I've tested have also been more stable than my ATI cards.

In the 200€ region, you're either looking at an nVidia GTX 460, or a Radeon 5850/5870. I can strongly recommend both cards, as I've had two of each.

As for people suggest running SLI or Crossfire, I would advice to avoid such set up when playing WoW, or at least disable it specifically for WoW. WoW does not fully support either, and there are loads of common issues that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    He means Nvidia are releasing the GTX560 the end of Jan and the 460 is now obsolete but still a good card
    The verdict is still not set on the 560. I'm thinking of buying another 460 in fact, for when I upgrade my Mobo and CPU (Which I feel bad about, because I just bought it, almost :P But hey, it's just USD1000! ^.^ I could cash out some extra and get a full secondary computer as well) so I can run SLI.

Really, both companies are great.

I've owned cards from both, and have loved them both. Currently I'm using a HD 5770 from ATi and it's amazing.

I've never had an issue with stability with either brand, nor returning/exchanging cards with either brand. There's also a load of brands who make cards based off the chips, and they have their own pros and cons. I've had good experience with and usually prefer HIS. The car I'm currently running is an HIS and I love them.

TL;DR -- find a card from either brand within your price range and with the best specs. Get it. You'll be happy no matter which way you go.

Speaking of Tom's Hardware...

200 euros is about $271 USD atm. According to Tom's best video cards for January, 2011, the Radeon 6850, nVidea GTX 460 and Radeon 6870 are the best cards under that price point, with the Radeon 6950 being about $30.00 USD over your price point.

However, you need to check your power unit. A lot of these cards are very specific about how much power they need to run. You might have to look at older cards due to limitations from your power supply unit. Or you might need to upgrade your power supply unit. You might also want to consider a RAM upgrade as well.

Keep in mind the possibility of getting a new system if you need to upgrade too much.

At present, my home system is
    Intel 870 core i7
    8GB of DDR 3 memory
    ATI 5770

Not a world beater by any means, but it runs WoW with no lag

Deleted
    Its been days since i last saw my thread a quick question i saw this graphic card at sale and its a bit cheaper i wonder if worths the money.
    Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (for some reason i cant add links)

Probably going to get a gtx 460. 768mb version is currently 139 at my local Fry's. Cheapest 1 gig version is 159. How much performance am I gaining with the 1 gig compared to the 768 and what are the differences between manufacturers. For example there are three 1 gig models. All different manufacturers all varying in price. BTW, all prices are in usd.

Quote Originally Posted by refire View Post
    Probably going to get a gtx 460. 768mb version is currently 139 at my local Fry's. Cheapest 1 gig version is 159. How much performance am I gaining with the 1 gig compared to the 768 and what are the differences between manufacturers. For example there are three 1 gig models. All different manufacturers all varying in price. BTW, all prices are in usd.
    I'd say the 20USD is worth it for the 1GB.
    As for brands, anything is fine. Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA et c. Pick one with a name you know. I have a Gigabyte 1GB, and I'm very, very satisfied.

Thanks for the quick reply! Pretty excited to see how the game will play out with using a decent card. Currently using a 9600 gt and I cannot support 1920 x 1080 plus only getting 25 or so frames in a 10 man, 20 or so in a 25. Hoping that I can increase the graphics quite a bit and play with a 1920 x 1080 resolution flawlessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the price, Go for a GeForce nVIDIA 460 GTX. I bought one back in november for a birthday gift to myself. It's an amazing card. It has the power as a 470/480 but doesn't put out alot of heat like they do. I'm telling ya, you wont go wrong with one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130568 So far, this card has even washed my dishes. Its so good. xD
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-01-27 at 06:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    For the price, Go for a GeForce nVIDIA 460 GTX. ...I'm telling ya, you wont go wrong with one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130568
    Do not pay that price for a GTX 460!!! At the price you might as well just get a 560 for only $20 more! If you want a GTX 460, get the 1GB version, but you can get them for around $155-170 with sales, and maybe even lower now that the new 560 pimp slaps the hell out of the 460. Look around at the various computer stores on the internet and the various shopping sites that scour multiple sites for you. Also, look at all the various manufacturers because they aren't all prices the same and you'll always be able to find a couple of them that have sales.

Edit: Oh there are a couple rebates that I missed on that particular item, but still that card isn't the best priced deal around even after all the rebates. You can find them cheaper, and without pain in the ass mail in rebates.
    Last edited by Plasmon; 2011-01-27 at 06:54 PM.