Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Unhappiness in Cataclysm

As you all know there are two sides to every argument. And with the recent Cataclysm expansion, those two sides have become very adamant about their points of view. I will try to sum up as best as possible. Also please keep in mind that perception is everything.

On the one side, you have the plodders, part-timers, casual gamers and semi-pros. What appears to be the general consensus/perception is that heroic tolerances are too tight, take too long, are tedious at times, and much too difficult. Raids, while not meant to be easy, taking months to learn a single boss, will destroy most casual or like guilds and will make it more difficult to see progression content. Realizing that we all want something more difficult, there is a big difference between just getting killed for looking at the boss wrong, vs. getting back up, dusting off and trying again. The consensus/perception seems to lean on the former and not the latter in heroics and raids. Yes the more gear = easier encounter rule applies, but if you can't beat the boss because people are leaving, you won't get gear. And yes, you can go to normal and get the gear, but that will still only take you so far.

On the other side, you have the pros, raiders, elitists and blue posters. On this side the consensus appears to be one of, 'We like it this hard. Learn to play or don't play.' While there is debate on this attitude, this seems to be the perception received by most players on the other side.
    Blue posters have mentioned how people are generalizing on how many players are quitting, changing roles, or just not enjoying the game anymore. One even mentioned "...fun is a subjective thing...". While that may be true, in my opinion, Blizz has done a better job of making things all around more fun in the past than with Cataclysm.

So here is the put up or shut up. If you are leaving the game, have left, or just no longer care to play because of Cataclysm, post it here and post why. Let’s start to get a better idea of just how many unhappy people are out there. Tell all of your Wow buddies and let’s give blizzard a better showing of its less than happy players. Who knows if there are enough of us, maybe blizzard will start paying closer attention!

Grale (Prot Warrior) – Bronzebeard
    Szdontmatter (Fury Warrior) Mok’Nathal

Deleted
    This wont end well just letting ya know

Who cares? Let people do what they want. Stop trying to rally everyone behind your cause.

5% of the player base maybe go to the official forums. Less than 1% of the player base probably comes here. I'm no stat person, but that seems like a very bad way to figure out what is wrong with the game.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well there's one less on my server. Yay
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

There are actualy very few people who are upset with how the game currently is. The number of people you see on the forums is a fraction, a MINUTE FRACTION, of the actual playerbase, and the reason for this, is that people that think things are fine don't bother going to the forums, because they have nothing to whine about.

A rough estimate of mine is that maybe 2-5% of the playerbase is unhappy with how 'difficulty' things are right now. That isn't much, and that is why GC and Blizzard are taking a stand by saying play it how it is or leave, because they hated how lol wrath was, just like the majority (aka 95-98%) of the playerbase.

People just need to learn that you need to progress, which means get 333ilvl doing normal dungeons and THEN go to heroics, because once you hit 333 ilvl gear, heroics become retarded easy.

TL;DR? Learn progression and the game is simple. Don't like progression? Leave.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that the players queue for heroics as soon as they possibly can, finding tricks to just get over the requirement. This causes them to be undergeared, and then they'll fail. When people learn how to do it correctly, there will be no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

I've been toying with the idea of leaving WoW for no other reason than the community being as bad as it is. There is too many trolls and people abusing other people. I don't say "L2P" if someone sucks at the game. Instead I go and do some research on the class/spec and then SEE how that person plays. In most cases, I can find where they're going wrong and correct it or give them advice. I've done this for a few of my guildies.

Sadly, this doesn't happen very often. When I suggest changes in someones spec or play style, they'll gquit and call the other guild members noobs and crap. In fact, I have only actually gotten to help 3 of our guilds members while the rest gquit.

So yeah. The community has just gotten to a point where I no longer want to be a part of it. Blizzard needs to do something about it and fast cause at the rate things have been in decay, it's going to hit bottom soon and that's never a good thing.

Question: Do you have mittens attached to your coat?

Quote Originally Posted by Xyborg View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of leaving WoW for no other reason than the community being as bad as it is. There is too many trolls and people abusing other people. I don't say "L2P" if someone sucks at the game. Instead I go and do some research on the class/spec and then SEE how that person plays. In most cases, I can find where they're going wrong and correct it or give them advice. I've done this for a few of my guildies.

Sadly, this doesn't happen very often. When I suggest changes in someones spec or play style, they'll gquit and call the other guild members noobs and crap. In fact, I have only actually gotten to help 3 of our guilds members while the rest gquit.

So yeah. The community has just gotten to a point where I no longer want to be a part of it. Blizzard needs to do something about it and fast cause at the rate things have been in decay, it's going to hit bottom soon and that's never a good thing.
    How is it blizzard's fault that your guildies have the attitude that sees them gquit after you offer them some advice?

Also why is it your responsibility to do their research for them?

By all means point them in the right direction but unless they find these things out for themselves, nothing will change.

10+ Year Old Account
    well ill say I am very burned out, especially for less than 2 months after the expansion. No, I'm not a bad, I'm not casual. I'm tired of waiting so long for a heroic, and then having it take forever. That isn't necissarily bc of bad people. Its just bc trash takes a long time or there are a lot of bosses. On top of that I just generally don't like these new instances. Raiding is worse. I've done halfus, twin drakes, council, magmaw, defense system, maloriak, chimaeron and conclave. Its easy to see how far bliz is stretching their ideas to make these encounters different. But when it all comes down to it, in my opinion, they are just annoying. Vanessa van cleef gave me a bigger rush the first time I killed her.

I dunno, my time will be over soon. No I'm not trying to convince anyone about if they should or should not play. I'm just saying I don't fall into the typical catagory which everyone seems to think are quitting. I've been playing for over 6 years now, with a total of 6 months not being an active account, and I can say I have the least drive to play now than I have since early pre-bc (before MC)

What I have found discouraging is not the difficulty, but what it has done to people. It is harder and a single mistake can cause a wipe. What I have found it has put a bigger chasm between people. I tank and wife heals so we are in perfect communication, and if it is a bad group we leave and can requeue fast.

But what I have seen has made me not enjoy the game recently. People have just become plain mean. I watch people bash on each other all the time, and it is horrible. The same people who wanted harder runs seems to be the least tolerant of wipes. It was great at the start as we were all learning fights, but now the VP farmers have become inpatient. They can't be bothered with people who are just getting in heroics. I would say 3/5 times when someone says they haven't been here a vote kick comes up.

Many of the people complaining probably wouldn't if this community hadn't gone to crap like it has. I for one would love a perfect run, and am happy when we get 3 DPS who know what to do. But I don't rage and call people noobs when they screw up. It will happen, and any radier knows this. We have all caused wipes in raids, and for some folks this is "their" raid.

What I don't get are the people who PUG then bitch how PUGs suck. If PUGs suck and you are going to rage, save us all the grief and don't queue

15+ Year Old Account
    Its like every player that hits a roadblock somewhere in the game instantly targets this expension as a bad one coz "they" cannot do it.... blizzard cant make the whole player base happy u know? u need to suck it up and swallow it deep inside aka take it or stop playing.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless I'm raiding with my guild or doing PvP with guild/friends this game is boring. Dailies suck, they killed WoW IMO

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

The problem is that there is no middle ground. There's the easymode leveling up to 85, then the three level 85 dungeons... and then it's slamming into a wall of difficulty into heroics and raiding.

Personally I'm okay with the difficulty of heroics and raids as they are. But for the more casual players I can definitely see their standpoint that "things are too hard". The reality of it is that once you hit 85, there's very little to do outside of heroics and raiding, and unless you have the time and the ability, you're pretty much out of things to do aside from professions or rolling (yet) another alt.

I actually find it quite the opposite Davesurfer.

I have been through all the heroics, done all of the achieves and am quite geared from raiding and such. When I actually qeue into a heroic outside of a guild group, I am very patient and more than willing to help and explain. What I find, much more often than not, is that people become extremely impatient when they are undergeared and they can't just blow through something without CC and/or competent exceution and strategy.

I would say your 3/5 times vote kick is way off, as I know all of my friends and guildies will help pugs out as much as they can tolerate, it's the people who had gotten so used to faceroll heroics and raid bosses that are impatient and often unwilling to compromise by giving up some time in lieu of easier heroics.

TL; DR- Newbs and people on their undergeared alts are the impatient ones in heroics more often than not, expecting it to be as easy as on their main or to get carried like *cough* in that "other" expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

1) You have no understanding of what a casual is and what an elitist is. I'm a casual, I love Cataclysm, you are stupid.
    2) Blizz has been scaling down on quality since TBC.
    3) Blizzard has payed TOO MUCH attention to you moronic, entitled, and bleeding-hearted people in the past and effectively ended the expansion of the player base with WOTLK.
    4) LEARN TO PLAY THE DAMN GAME INSTEAD OF ASKING IT TO BE PLAYED FOR YOU YOU NOOB! DID THE ALL CAPS GET THE MESSAGE OUT?
    The Forsaken have the plague, the Goblins have nukes, the Trolls have voodoo, and the Alliance has trees. Who wins?

Ditto - I cancelled my accounts, not for raid difficulty, heroics being too long, but this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, everything is painted in black and white. Oh wait..
    Thundercunts and stuff

I half way agree with what you are saying. However it isn't Blizzards responsibility to police bad attitudes, only griefers and cheaters. Nor should they. It is unfortunate that the community is full of craptastic people but you are going to find that everywhere. Maybe less so other places, but they will be around.