Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I can't kill a mage.

I rerolled my pally to a rogue for the cataclysm and so far I am having a lot of fun, especially on PvP (vanishing to escape certain death is awesome!).
    However, I am having a hard time killing mages. (I am assassination by the way)

I just can't belive that I can't stunlock a mage to death, but they can Frost-Nova-lock me to death. Is there any way to avoid this that I'm not aware of?
    I guess that CoS would save me from one of the frost novas, and deadly throw would be usefull for their teleport, but in the end I always end up dying. Can anybody help me?

Also, if I throw a smoke bomb right before ice block ends, will the mage be able to teleport himself out ?
    I never tried to do it but it would be awesome if I could use this stupid spell to do that.

The warriors in the back call out to you :"stand in line with rest !..."

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Griefel View Post
    what he said... we all getting owned by them... Subtlety spec is a bit better... only attack him after sum1 has made him blink
    Night Elf till I die
    Everything else is second best

i got news for you. the rest can't kill a frost mage either.

j/k.

Yeah mages is hard to beat for like any class.... But i don't think that this is gonna change anytime soon.
    I can beat some of them in duel sometimes but the ones i beat are mostly baddy. A good played mage 1v1 is a needle in the ass litteraly

Smoke bombs doesn't allow others to throw u single target spells while it lasts ... it doesn't prevent blink to be casted while in it to get out (since its not a single target attack in any way)

Deleted
    Be a gnome and you can kill frost mage easily.

Go Subtlety.
    It's still hard, but you're never going to beat a decent Mage as Mutilate.

Mut 1v1 vs a frost mage that a) knows what he is doing and b) has most of his CDs up will always end poorly for you. Sadly the game isn't designed around 1v1. Frost mages simply have too much control and you have too low of mobility as mut.

That said, sub vs. frost mage is an quite winnable fight, although still difficult. The keys are timing your CDs to be properly used when his defensive and control CDs are down and he is vulnerable. Beyond that, keep up recup and take his hits roots/snares. You'll still be kited, but sub lets you get in the hits you need to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Griefel View Post
    This isn't the warrior forum, fortunately.

Frost mages have a lot of control, and versus a melee dps you really have got to be at the top of your game.
    I'm no stranger to being icelanced to death.

Deleted
    i agree with everyone here and also felt the pain and frustration of it first handed in TB dailies. I had flag up (dumb i know but i forgot about it) Got taken down 3 times in a row by 1 single mage. Just kept kiting me non stop. Worst thing i remember was no defensive Cd's like vanish/shadowmeld/cloak and i was stuck in the middle of a ring of frost and he was spamming emotes while spamming spells. I've never been so pi**ed off in my life.

That was the final day I played muti pvp. Since prep has been stripped from us muti pvp users, the mobility isn't there anymore. In Sub, the dmg is lower at the start, and you gotta get used to it. But the utility thats at your fingertips is unreal in comparison to muti rogue. That mage blinks? shadowstep it, he thinks he's gonna get another defensive cd off? his back's to you, if not glyped gouge him and make him eat a garrote silence, hemo once & ambush spam, he'll be at half health and panicking at that stage, and you've still got 1 vanish, smoke bomb, kidney shot, cloak and all other goodies as well as prep. Yes the positional requirement is a pain in the ass. Yes the dmg is not as decent, but its good. But the survivalbility is unreal & the mobility is a godsend versus hunters/mages/locks who dissappear from your eyes in a second. Go sub and start working with it, trying to figure out how to do the best dmg you can, and you won't miss muti at all.

Deleted
    the mage will always kill u if he is not extrem stupid. my main is a rogue but i got a mage as well. its extrem easy to kill a rogue so it really takes *no* skill. i just play the mage as a twink after my shadow and i guess i never lost 1 on 1 against a rogue. even friday night after a bottle of whisky and some beer with a cigarette in my left hand and music powering into my brain its 100% skill less to kill a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    the mage will always kill u if he is not extrem stupid. my main is a rogue but i got a mage as well. its extrem easy to kill a rogue so it really takes *no* skill. i just play the mage as a twink after my shadow and i guess i never lost 1 on 1 against a rogue. even friday night after a bottle of whisky and some beer with a cigarette in my left hand and music powering into my brain its 100% skill less to kill a rogue.
    Riiiiiiiight. Not lying there at all, are you?

OT: As somebody else said, try Subtlety. It'll be that little bit easier, and if you time your CDs well, you CAN win.

do like I do

have a holy paladin follow you around and you'll just smash through them

works only in battlegrounds

As always:

"PVP isnt balanced around 1v1"

Bring a friend with you and mages die real fast.
    85: Paladin | Druid | Shaman | Warlock | Death Knight | Mage | Hunter | Rogue | Warrior | Priest

Join the club

/sip
    Rogues don't do buffs or other group things. If you want a hug ask the Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    i got news for you. the rest can't kill a frost mage either.

j/k.
    i trash frost mages and enh shaman

1.) Find pillar to LoS
    2.) Force the mage to sic his pet on you if he ever wants to do damage (by humping the los)
    3.) Dart in and out, attacking the pet to stack up CPs.
    4.) Roll recoops on yourself while you whittle down the mage as well as the pet.
    5.) ?????
    6.) Profit.

Sub, and you can kill them if you know what you are doing. Unless they are terribad, you will most likely never 1v1 a frost mage as mut lacks the mobility to get to them and stick on them, however as sub you can maintain pressure for quite long enough to demolish them. Frost mage can not tank any melee(except ret) for any amount of time, so if you can get to them you can win.