Thread: Ageism

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    It goes like this: racial discrimination (worst) -- > gender discrimination (medium) -- > age and other types of discrimination (may be bad, but may also be good and proper).

Reasoning is simple: there are no significant differences between races to allow for discrimination based on this criteria; there are significant differences between genders to allow for some discrimination based on this criteria (preferential hiring by gender for some positions, more bathrooms for girls than for guys, etc); there are significant differences and good reasons to discriminate between people based on other criteria (such as age, citizenship status, religious status, marital status, etc).

Obv. this is just a rough guide, based in part on the constitutional common law of our nation, but it is here to answer your question as to whether racial and age discrimination are similar or not. They aren't.
    I'm not asking that people forgo common sense regarding hiring, group makeup, etc.

I'm asking that the mods not overlook ageist and hateful comments made by posters.

@Lilsocks: You do realize that ageism impacts the old, young, and middle aged alike, right?

I'm also white. Does that mean I shouldn't be offended by racism?

15+ Year Old Account
    Because my post was apparently overlooked, here it is again:

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    If you have issues with a thread, please report the thread. If you think that moderation isn't being carried out fairly, PM me or Boubouille with specific examples.
    If you want to discuss Ageism in general, feel free to create a thread in off-topic. If you have issues with the threads allowed or you think something was wrongly closed, PM me or Boubouille with specific links. I have no idea which topics you're referring to, and it would be nice if you gave us some information rather than just flinging accusations.