Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Keyboard Turners Anonymous

hello, my name is Funky and im a keyboard turner.

i need your help.
    part of the reason ive never really trained myself to use keybinds is my setup and partly because in some respects i dont 'get it'.
    heres my keyboard and mouse: (yes, that really is my keyboard)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    as you can see i dont use a 'real' mouse by necessity, its a trackball - thats not going to change btw, work with it
    what i need from you is a working keybind group that utilizes the keys within the red square in the image.

ok, the nitty gritty:

how exactly does one play with the keyboard and not clicking??
    i get using spells via the keyboard and not clicking the buttons and use the mouse to move, but how do i strafe? which is probably 95% of my movement.
    another reason i dont use keybinds is finger placement. when i put my fingers on the up/down etc keys on the keyboard i KNOW where my fingers are by touch. at no point do i have to glance down to see if my fingers are in the correct place. if i try to use WASD i inevitably mess up and do the button mash dance because my fingers are in the wrong place- if you have a solution to this, please share.

i need constructive information i can use, i can work with and learn from.
    i dont need elitist flaming and l2p comments, if thats all you have for me them gtfo.
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'
    Translation: you are a fool.

Start by binding WASD keys for movement and using 1 - 5 and F1 - F6 for abilities. add alt and ctrl for modifiers (example. fireball of doom would be Ctrl-1)

also get used to doing most of your movement with a mouse. hold both buttons to move and use the mouse to turn, this frees up your left hand to press buttons.

Try to use wasd since there is more keys closer, so you can bind those keys.

Like for example, close to wasd there is f,g,c,v,x,z,<,q,e, tab and $ + f1-f5

Then you can do the same ones, while holding shift/ctrl/alt.

When you use arrow keys you don't really got keys close.

By not clicking = not using mouse to click spells, but click "1" and so on
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkcow View Post
    seems like your good old GM wanted to dip his sausage in the buttercup!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewenastra View Post
    balance problems goes back to pacman

cmon, one pac man 4 ghosts? he had to take drugs to beat them

Quote Originally Posted by Ltsmash View Post
    Start by binding WASD keys for movement and using 1 - 5 and F1 - F6 for abilities. add alt and ctrl for modifiers (example. fireball of doom would be Ctrl-1)

also get used to doing most of your movement with a mouse. hold both buttons to move and use the mouse to turn, this frees up your left hand to press buttons.
    This really, playing with arrow keys is even less productive than keyturning with WASD imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltsmash View Post

sigh...please work with the info ive given. i dont WANT to use wasd, i dont WANT to use the function keys.
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'

Quote Originally Posted by funkyfloyd View Post
    sigh...please work with the info ive given. i dont WANT to use wasd, i dont WANT to use the function keys.
    Then you don't WANT to play optimally.

Deleted
    If you really insist on using that red square, you could probably use numpad keys for movement:
    So:
    Code:
    num4: Strafe left
    num6: Strafe right
    num8: Move forward
    num5: Move backwards
    Turning is only done with right mouse button down
    then you have the entire numpad for abilities, and the further to the left buttons for use with rarely-used spells (such as long cooldowns etc).

Well, he is obvioiusly left handed so WASD arent going to work for him.

IMO, use (P, L, ; and ') as your movement keys, get away from the arrows. That opens up a broad range of keys that are well within the range of a single hand. then for instance u can do Shift+ = for another spell, and Alt+ =, Control+ = so on and so fourth.

then continue reaching 4 inches up to press a button. using the arrow keys gives you little to no access to important buttons. but hey. some people like to make things as hard on themselves as possible.

@A Day to Remember im left handed WSAD works great.

Deleted
    And, guys, you know, you shouldn't force your way of playing onto somebody. I do not want to see any more posts yelling "but you HAVE to use wasd". He seems to realize it's sub-optimal. We can still find a solution for his question.

I just unbound my turn keys. there not necessary, it takes a few days to get used to but its impossible to play otherwise after those days. I have W as forward and A and D as Strafe Left and Strafe right, Q and E are left unbound for skills (E is my spam button on all my characters, ie Cobra Shot)

Yeah.. If you really insist on using nothing but the buttons within that red square (and thus limiting yourself) then I guess Treeston nailed it.
    It's very far from being optimal, but it's the best if you do not want to change.

Btw, how come you began using the arrow keys instead of the default WASD keys? :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    And, guys, you know, you shouldn't force your way of playing onto somebody. I do not want to see any more posts yelling "but you HAVE to use wasd". He seems to realize it's sub-optimal. We can still find a solution for his question.
    this. i need to work within my comfort zone, if i try to work within your comfort zone i WILL give up.

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 10:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Riboe View Post
    Yeah.. If you really insist on using nothing but the buttons within that red square (and thus limiting yourself) then I guess Treeston nailed it.
    It's very far from being optimal, but it's the best if you do not want to change.

Btw, how come you began using the arrow keys instead of the default WASD keys? :O
    because of the touch aspect, with my left hand on WASD i cant tell purely by feel where my fingers are. those four keys could be anywhere on the keyboard, with the arrow keys i can tell exactly whats on the left side (nothing) and whats on the right side (nothing) i know where my fingers are.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your using arrow keys bind your 1-0 to spells with num lock as a mod (if you dont mind having to hit that) plus you have the rest of the buttons of /*-+ ECT

(15 spells without num lock as a mod) you can also bind other spells to insert home and page up.

It shouldn't be that hard. As stated though it will be sub par compared to the WSAD ways but it should work and if you dont mind (since they are in the red square) use your shift and ctrl as modifiers. (if you dont know how I'd suggest looking at http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...phering-Macros )

Honestly hope i could help you have lots of options. As for moving as well another idea i had. Use both mouse buttons to move and then mouse turn if you can use your middle finger to move the ball (i have no idea how you hold a mouse like that)

10+ Year Old Account
    go buy a Razer Naga mouse...problem solved

Deleted
    Hm, most keyboards have a little "nub" on the F key. You might want to attempt using ESDF for movement instead of WASD. If your index finger is on the nub, your hand is positioned correctly.

Deleted

The thing is, there arent enough keys comfortably close to the arrow buttons to key bind everything. It is what it is, unless you use the 4 buttons closest and have modifier after modifier, you may as well just stick to clicking if you dont want to use wasd

10+ Year Old Account
    96.87% of the time, in my room. The other 3.13%? Pooping.
    Yeah, use WASD or you'll be a baddie forever.

Don't name call. I don't want to have to hand out any bans in this thread.
    ~ Treeston

because of the touch aspect, with my left hand on WASD i cant tell purely by feel where my fingers are. those four keys could be anywhere on the keyboard, with the arrow keys i can tell exactly whats on the left side (nothing) and whats on the right side (nothing) i know where my fingers are.
    If you prefer to feel where you hand is you can also try using ESDF instead of WASD. The reason I suggest this is because there is a little bar of the F button so you can feel where if you are in the correct place without looking at your hand. (RDFG would also work that way but makes it harder to reach shif, crtl and alt)

Edit: Damn you Treeston for being faster.
    justicars.blogspot.com All info you need for tanking as a cleric and more
    Cleric tanking: Justicar guide | Justicar spreadsheet and item list
    Defence is as much a part of war as offence, the shield as important a tool as the sword.

Deleted
    I use WASD and 1-4, Shift 1-4. Then f, g, r, v, t, c, and shift modifiers of each. Shift q, w, e, a, s, and d if necessary. Then Shift + tab, and a few mouse buttons with modifiers.
    Last edited by mmocfccb6e2de1; 2011-01-21 at 10:36 PM.