Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[NFL] What team should I support? (for fun)

Hey folks.

So as a Canadian, I really don't follow the NFL. I enjoy watching the sport, but I'm not tied to any one team. My question going into this weekend is, who should I follow?

We have the Bears, Steelers, Jets, and Packers. (hehe packers..)

So as a casual fan, what should I know? Who (maybe, wink wink) should I put my $upport behind? Looking forward to the games either way.

DA BEARS!

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    The Packers, because most Wisconsin folk could pass as Canadian. :P

The real truth is it's a terribly interesting lineup. Everyone expected the Pats to steam roll the place. I hate to say it, but either the Steelers or Jets. I don't like the NFC, the bears are too up and down to trust. Plus they have Cutler.

Defense seems to be the tone of the season and the Jets/Steelers both have plenty of it. I'll root for the Steelers though just because Polamalu has the best hair and best tackles ever. :X

Also, anyone who says DA BEARS is a Chicago native who hopelessly hangs on to the dream that one day, they will actually win at football and should not be listened to. These people also tend to be Cubs fans. No offense Ascii. :P
    Last edited by Shamslam; 2011-01-22 at 02:13 AM.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asciiguy View Post
    DA BEARS!

/thread
    hehe, not quite. Are they the favorite? I'm a noob at this..

BTW.. where the fuck is Green Bay?

edit: ok Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    hehe, not quite. Are they the favorite? I'm a noob at this..

BTW.. where the fuck is Green Bay?

edit: ok Wisconsin
    I'm from Chicago so they are my favorite!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamslam View Post
    Also, anyone who says DA BEARS is a Chicago native who hopelessly hangs on to the dream that one day, they will actually win at football and should not be listened to. These people also tend to be Cubs fans. No offense Ascii. :P
    I dunno, I'm a fan of underdogs. Toronto Maple Leafs/NJ Devils fan /facepalm

Still, I'm looking to put some cash down on pro-line (sports betting, its legal). Need advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh lord. For betting God only knows. Any given Sunday..... Holy shit this season has been insane. I personally am pulling for the Steelers due to them being the team to knock off the Ravens, they play football how is should be played, and both Polamalu and Woodley are some of my favorite players in the NFL. Plus Brett Keisel has epic beard, epic beard is win.
    I am thinking it will be a Packers - Steelers Super Bowl with the Steelers winning.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Bears - Strong Defense, and they have been able to get there running game going with Forte towards the end of the year. Culter has been horribly inconsistent all year, but as of late he has seemed to straighten himself out. If he can cut down the turnovers it should be a close game. There field is a mess which is a huge advantage to the Bears as it will slow down Green Bays speedy receivers.

Packers - Has the hottest QB in the playoffs right now in Rodgers. Clay Matthews is a beast on Defense. They don't have much of a running game which may cost them this weekend against the Bears, but Rodgers hasn't had a running game all year and has been able to get it done. Packers have a good set of receivers which could open up the running game. Beat the Bears the last week of the season to get into the playoffs

Steelers - The most experienced team in the Playoffs. Another strong Defense lead by Farrior and Palamalu. Their running game is pretty good and Big Ben doesn't lose often at home in the playoffs. They did lose to the Jets about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but was without Palamau and their Tight end. Mike Wallace and Hines ward make a good team at reciever.

Jets - Strong Def, want to stay best left in playoffs, but not sure. If its not them its the Bears. They have 2 strong corners in Revis and Cromarti who may be able to take either Ward or Wallace if not both. They are able to get to the QB without a lot of Blitzing making it easier. Have a fairly decent running game and the passing game is not bad either. Sanchez is only in his second year and is inconsistant at times yet he is 4-1 int he playoffs so he seems to get it done.

There's the basic of the 4 teams left feel free to pick who you want. Both games are gonna be close and are pretty much toss ups as to who will win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Oh lord. For betting God only knows. Any given Sunday..... Holy shit this season has been insane. I personally am pulling for the Steelers due to them being the team to knock off the Ravens, they play football how is should be played, and both Polamalu and Woodley are some of my favorite players in the NFL. Plus Brett Keisel has epic beard, epic beard is win.
    I am thinking it will be a Packers - Steelers Super Bowl with the Steelers winning.
    Yea. That's what I'm pulling for. But the Jets and Bears keep surprising everyone so this is one playoff season I would just avoid putting money on. lol

Basically, it's a crap shoot with whoever you pick. All of them are good, the Bears just have an inconsistent QB with Cutler. The Jets has been the team to lose for 2 years now who someone pull it out of their ass week in/week out. Analysts will say time and time again the Jets will lose, but you just never know with them.

The Steelers/Packers are the two most stable teams. But like I said, it's really just luck at this point on picking winners.
    Last edited by Shamslam; 2011-01-22 at 02:37 AM.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm torn between the Packers and Steelers also but I'm hoping that they both are in the Super Bowl.

Wonderful Ysera set by Aderianu of AHS

Packers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Jets of course.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    I've heard steelers as well. I'm inclined to support any team against NY, but that's a bias that comes from other sports. Unfortunately the OLG website isn't coming up with info for the upcoming matches. I'm sort of in the dark, I'd like to make some cash this weekend

If the Steelers beat the Jets then the Packers for sure. The reason the Steelers get owned by good quarterbacks like Tom Brady for example is because they rely on the blitz too much. Good quarterbacks eat the blitz, Aaron Rodgers is actually better against the blitz. However if the Jets advace it's a whole different story.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard steelers as well. I'm inclined to support any team against NY, but that's a bias that comes from other sports. Unfortunately the OLG website isn't coming up with info for the upcoming matches. I'm sort of in the dark, I'd like to make some cash this weekend
    the jets only were in one superbowl, and won that one superbowl that they were in..... it was in 1969 lol

EDIT: I just have a feeling this year is the year that its gonna be another win

Deleted
    Whatever you do dont support RapeBen! aka Steelers...

Im a Bucs fan, so for the rest of the season im with whatever team that is playing against steelers. So this weekend im with Jets.
    Hoping Bears wins SB tho, dont really like Packers but i dont know why...

The way Aaron Rodgers is playing, Packers will win the SB. But I'm a Vikings fan!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syero View Post
    the jets only were in one superbowl, and won that one superbowl that they were in..... it was in 1969 lol
    So you're pulling on my love for the underdog? hehe.

Unfortunatly I've heard a lot of good news from the Steelers. I'm going with that most likely.

I'm mostly interested in the GB/CHI match. I really don't know where to come down on this. Again I'm a noob at this. If I could see arguments for both sides it would help sway me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idototems View Post
    Whatever you do dont support RapeBen! aka Steelers...

Im a Bucs fan, so for the rest of the season im with whatever team that is playing against steelers. So this weekend im with Jets.
    Hoping Bears wins SB tho, dont really like Packers but i dont know why...
    /facepalm

Not a single shred of evidence. she changed her story at least 4 times.

The DA REALLY wanted this case to make a name for himself, and even he couldn't justify bringing charges. Innocent until proven guilty? Hell, they couldn't even ARREST him. gimme a break.

That doesn't mean he was a perfect gentleman. He was well known for being an arrogant prick. But there is a distinction.

Deleted
    I'm mostly interested in the GB/CHI match. I really don't know where to come down on this. Again I'm a noob at this. If I could see arguments for both sides it would help sway me.
    If you want to gamle, the underdog is Bears. And if they can keep the pocket open long enough for Cutler, he will slice trough Packers secondary. But with packers rushers it will be hard. O-line will have to do a perfect game to win, but the 2.70 you get here in europe on Bears is something im going to test atleast.

---------- Post added 2011-01-22 at 03:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    /facepalm

Not a single shred of evidence. she changed her story at least 4 times.

The DA REALLY wanted this case to make a name for himself, and even he couldn't justify bringing charges. Innocent until proven guilty? Hell, they couldn't even ARREST him. gimme a break.

That doesn't mean he was a perfect gentleman. He was well known for being an arrogant prick. But there is a distinction.
    The first time it happend i was on your side, the second time i just cant see that happening. Theres no smoke without a fire...