Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Won't be playing it, much more bark than bite.
    Also the trailer rubbed me the wrong way.
    yea i wasn't impressed. trailer pissed me off.

If you're looking to recapture nostalgia.. It's not going to happen.

Deleted
    Wow they actually put that in an ad? lol Idk what the devs are thinking. I could be wrong but I wasn't really feeling much with Rift. Got bored. What did I do? Logged back onto WoW.

Not trying to dig at anyone here though If you like Rift then by all means play it. Wow is going to continue to be a very popular and successful mmo, even if it does get overtaken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTKF View Post
    Personally, I like Rift... But seriously, it's kinda sad when they try to do that, if they won't inovate that much. It's just like if Blizz would've done that when WoW launched (They also took a LOT of stuff from other games). I hope it succeeds for competition, but I said it once and I'll say it again... Half the tards saying WoW will die were the EXACT SAME PEOPLE that said that about Aion... So no, WoW won't die or even lose a 3rd of the playerbase because of it. Also, to doomsayers, their trailer has 100k views... Know how many the cata trailer has? Over 9 million. So while the game will be awesome, it won't kill WoW, if only people got that in their head (Besides, they could coexist).
    Except the majority of us excited about Rift have never said "WoW killer." Most people saying that are morons who are calling Rift a WoW rip off and get this tiny idea in their head that if they say WoW killer enough they will be able to make a point.

I refer to the original Rift thread where the OP mentions nothing of WoW killer and the first couple times it's mentioned is in fact by people also saying stupid crap like "See you in a month."

And why do people act like referring to other MMOs is a bad thing? They have to do that to stand a chance. I remember watching GW2 vids where the devs repeatedly would mention other MMOs and basically talk about how they did everything better. It's obvious the devs for Rift have high hopes (which any new game should) but they know they won't get anywhere if they can't get WoW crossovers. It's also not hard to tell that tons of people only play WoW for god knows what.

It's not even a bash on WoW as much as them getting it out there that's it a different game completely. Which is why I liked the ad. At first I was in the "looks like WoW" category, but after actually watching gameplay and dev videos I can safely say it is, in fact, its own game.
    Last edited by Shamslam; 2011-01-22 at 05:47 PM.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Ah Kansas thanks for the correction. Here is a VIP key that can be used 25 times for all future beta events. The next beta event starts Jan 25th.

M6YG-FMRM-R3MK-EXZC-WWEQ

To Apply the VIP Code:

Create a new account on riftgame.
    Click "Apply Code" on the left-hand navigation bar and enter your VIP key.
    You're done! You will automatically be invited into the remaining beta events.

“Battle of the Ascends” event five: 1/25-1/27
    “Planar War” event six: 2/4-2/7
    “Telara the Merciless” event seven: 2/15-2/22

---------- Post added 2011-01-22 at 03:18 PM ----------

Do you fancy giving out any more beta codes? I really want to try the game before buying it, from podcasts at gamebreaker.tv I thought about Rift replacing WoW in "MMORPG" position at my games list.

I'm now stating the perfectly obvious. Developers and marketing department is terrible in Rift if they do this. Seriously. Do they not know how the other mmos have fared against WoW? do they not see themselves that they might have a good product, but not nearly good enough to dethrone WoW? I think there must be a serious lack of intelligence in their ranks. I'm not fanboying as i wanna try RIFT and is eagerly awaiting next beta test, but its true what i say. I've seen videos of the gameplay and it looks generic, but i'm hoping for the best when i myself try it out.

firstly ppl stop filling in the blanks of the game with how awsome somthing would be if you worked like you wanted it to (ppl do this way to much in general, why do you think ppl play fable?)

secoundly there are so many VIP beta keys use them and test the game if you don't like it don't get the game you won't have lost any money and gotten some free enjoyment

thirdly just sens WoW has serious PvP dosen't mean rift shoude have serious PvP they might be going for a more fun pve experince. most of the hemogenation with WoW is just sens they try to do pvp and pve in a big manner if you cut one out you can make the other way more unique to how you like to play and still keep it balenced (if wow didn't have pvp there if likey that some speccs would be able to burst 200-300k in 3 sek and not be able to pull big dmg for 40-50 sek)

Quote Originally Posted by robotwars View Post
    Let me know when D3 and GW2 are out, then maybe we'll have something relevant to talk about.
    Yeah, I'm going to try out the next round of Rift beta since my WoW account just went down and I want to take a bit of time off, but I think this guy is right.

Diablo 3 [Even though its not an MMO], Guild Wars 2, and Star Wars: The Old Republic look like they're going to be the strongest competition to WoW.

I'm personally a huge fan of Bioware, so I'm looking forward to SW: ToR. I just hope they don't screw it up =/

Having played in multiple beta's for Rift.. it's not anything different at all. It's an amalgamation of different MMO's on the Gamebryo Engine (Warhammer Online). Worst part is.. the Gamebryo engine still hasn't been "optimized" in such as way as to not cause major problems for no real reason. Some People with monstrous rigs have issues playing the game, while some with average rigs run it just fine. It seems to give issues completely at random. Warhammer had the same issues of giving major problems to people randomly for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

If you can play it with no issues and you find it fun, more power to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    Au contraire mon cheri! I very much want other MMOs to be successful. However, I want them to be bold and groundbreaking! I'm sick of people trying to build a better wow; you can't beat Bliz at it's own game!
    WoW is successful for a reason. Rift is different in very important regards, like its lore and a dynamic world. It's closer to Oblivion or Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, if anything. I don't mind them borrowing gameplay mechanics. WoW's are worth emulating. No need to reinvent the wheel everywhere. ;p
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

You know that could well count as "Insult Backfire".

"We're not in Azeroth any more... so you millions of people who like that place? Don't bother joining."

Lol. I saw this post read it and I go back to the homepage, see the rift add "We are not in Azeroth anymore" didnt see it before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to compete in this market with WoW at this stage? dont think so buddy. WoW would have to go through some MAJOR fuck ups to make the gameplay so bad that 4 million players or so suddenly stop playing.

My only worry is that there is so much hype behind this game, lots of people are going to try it out, and if it does end up dissapointing, that may put those people off considering other MMOs that come out shortly after it, even though those other MMOs are going in a different direction, away from the "standard" MMO template and should provide a much fresher experience.

Quote Originally Posted by themiller View Post
    Trying to compete in this market with WoW at this stage? dont think so buddy. WoW would have to go through some MAJOR fuck ups to make the gameplay so bad that 4 million players or so suddenly stop playing.
    Isn't that exactly where it is right now?
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-01-22 at 06:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea to incorporate that quote into the commercial does seem a little cocky, i will be playing beta event 5 and possibly buying the game though.

Even though i think Guild wars 2 will be better and be the only game that could potentially kill wow

Quote Originally Posted by Nenavn View Post
    I saw this quote in the little Rift advertisements around the site.
    Really? It's like outright saying "We're better than WoW."
    When a new MMO comes out which acts and plays like a WoW clone with the sole purpose of trying to horn in on the MMO Market, it's life expectancy is laughably short.
    Remember Warhammer and Aion? Me neither.
    yep,it kinda pissed me off.It's actually pathethic since i have no intention whatsoever to play that game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    yep,it kinda pissed me off.It's actually pathethic since i have no intention whatsoever to play that game
    Pathetic in what way?
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was like "WTF" too when I saw the "You're not in Azeroth anymore". I mean, it's SO cheap, SO, SO cheap to say something like that. I can understand wanting to 'hit' a specific group of people (us, WoWers), but this is stupid.

I won't play the game.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by themiller View Post
    Personally, I think this current expansion, is the worst yet. I think Blizzard has done a great job at screwing up their game with Cataclysm.

its a smart move, they got the whole fucking WoW community to talk about it, alot of the people that are starting to be boredf rom playing woW for 6 years will most likely check it out.

1 point to Trion

Quote Originally Posted by Ragethorn View Post
    Personally, I think this current expansion, is the worst yet. I think Blizzard has done a great job at screwing up their game with Cataclysm.
    Go play on a private server and spawn epics for yourself. Enjoy.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!