I've been tasked to assemble a 10 man raid group... need some help and suggestions...

well, maybe putting my head on the chopping block is more like it... lol... but here's what i have so far...

Tank:
    Prot Warr
    Prot Pally

i have another prot warr but still need to get geared a bit.

Melee:
    Ret Pally
    Combat Rogue
    Enhanced Shaman

Ranged:
    Balanced Druid

Heals:
    Resto Druid
    Resto Druid
    Disc Priest

currently looking to recruit warlock, holy paladin, hunter... we do require some more members to confirm... but what is an ideal or most effective 10 man raid composition?

2 tank, 2 heals, 2 melee, 4 ranged?

i've been told that perhaps having a player that can be back up heals may prove helpful in certain fights...

thanks in advance for your replies.

Deleted
    you'll need 3 healaers in most content and will want to stack as many ranged as you can for end bosses imo.

imo you have too many melee. Take the rogue and enhanced shaman. Drop the ret and get a lock/mage/hunter. Drop the disc and get a holy pally/priest.

Not sure if you're aware of the Raid Builder tool on this very site.

It's incredibly useful for helping to do exactly what you're trying to do now.

Helps sort out buffs/debuffs and things like that.
    Here's the link:

http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com/

Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who's actually missed most of the raid content at the start of cata due to inactivity, my experience is limited, and possibly outdated.
    But as a general rule i'd advise maybe swapping a melee out for a ranged dps if you can,
    stacking 2 healers of any kind will never end well, and since holy is a little OP atm (please don't derail the thread, just stating my opinion) i'd advise sticking one in instead of a 2nd r-druid.

Also give this a look into, can be very helpful when trying t optimise your raid settups.
    Last edited by Kaga; 2011-01-22 at 05:32 PM. Reason: flurry of typos
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

Be aware that resto druids are very weak healers right now, as is disc compared to holy.

Bring the player not the class! ... provided your players play the right class :/

Deleted
    Zemin is right: You'll need more range DPS. Try to find a mage and a warlock and let the shaman go elemental. Also, a holy paladin helps a lot in some fights.

You won't need a 4th healer except for maybe Chimaeron while the bot is offline and you're still learning the fight. But that's the only fight I can think of. On Maloriak you even need one healer with a DPS spec.

thank you very much... as a arms/prot warrior, it saddens me to see that Cata is not so melee friendly... anywhoo... i'm the prot warr in this case...

i was considering the following

2 tanks
    2 melee
    2~3 heals
    3~4 ranged

so yes, i do have more members than available seats so we will have to resort to rotation to be fair for the rest of the members of the guild...

Deleted
    U guys realise his trolling right?

You'll want 3 dedicated healers, one of whom can go (preferably ranged) dps on some fights.

2 tanks for most fights, ranged dps are "better" to stack at the moment.

I am assuming that the classes/specs you're listing are guildies, and you want to make that comp work.
    For your last spot, a hunter would be great, and would bring the +crit% buff that you are missing (make sure he's using a wolf).

Don't forget to use the MMO Champion Raid Comp Tool.

If we're talking 'perfect' 10m group composition, you won't want to stack druid healers, and will want your priest to go holy (I think it's more powerful than disc at the moment, could be wrong.) Pally healers are also quite strong at the moment.

Also, ret pallies, as I understand it, are still underpowered and in need of buffs. Same for combat rogues. Again, my information may be somewhat dated, but you may want to talk to them about chaging their spec/class if you're really interesting in min/maxing.

You should at the VERY LEAST have 2 ranged dps. I'd suggest 3, but hey, to each their own. Also Ret Pallies, although they provide 3% damage buff and are the best class to do so, are pretty low on the damage overall at the moment, so unless your ret pally is AMAZING, I would choose something else. The damage buff isn't really necessary unless you're doing heroic content.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplasch View Post
    U guys realise his trolling right?
    he's, not his...

this coming from a guy who does not capitalize my "i"s... lol..

thank you for the replies.

i've been playing with the raid comp tool... it is very handy indeed!

my limitations is that i have to give my guild-mates fair raiding time slots by rotating the time slots.
    hence i do realize we have many melee, so 2 of us are going prot for the guild.

we do have a hunter in the works... and looking to recruit some warlock and mages...
    again, i appreciate your replies.

thank you.

so in essence:

Tanks: (3 rotating 2 slots)
    Prot Warr
    Prot Pally
    Prot Warr

Melee: (3 rotating 2 slots)
    Combat Rogue
    Combat Rogue
    Enhanced Shaman

~whereas the Ret Pally goes prot.

Ranged: (4~5 rotating 3 slots)
    Surv Hunter
    Warlock (recruit)
    Mage (recruit)
    Balanced Druid

Healer: (3~4 rotating 3 slots)
    Disc Priest: (respec to Holy?)
    Resto Druid
    Holy Paladin (recruit)

this will satisfy the guild members as well as provide a 2wk on, 1 wk off rotation schedule to prevent early burnout...
    we kinda got burned out of constant 25's x 3x week...

i know that there are pro's and con's of rotating schedule... but at the moment, this seems the only fair way to the members of the guild... and furthermore, this requires minimal recruiting... lol?
    Last edited by The Big Ape; 2011-01-22 at 05:50 PM.