Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    problem with enchanting is not many of the enchant scrolls offer a good money return. On my server, people are selling cata enchants which are worth 70g + in matts for only 2-10 gold. It's a total money sink.
    Supply and demand. Everyone and their grandmother makes the blocking enchant for leveling enchanting, because it's cheap and will net a few skillups. Out of the 30 different main specs out there only two of them actually have use for them: Protection Warriors and Paladins. Blood Death Knights and Feral Druids cannot equip shields, the only other specs that CAN and will use shields are Holy Paladins, Elemental and Restoration Shamans. And those three are casters, which means the won't need blocking.

So, you and every other Enchanter on your server made tons of that specific enchant, that only two specs can actually use. No wonder the price plummets to the ground, as the supply must be skyrocketing, whereas the demand is very low.

If you want to sell, do not make scrolls that only apply to very, very, VERY specific customers. Even if they are cheap. Especially not if they are cheap. You won't be able to sell them for a reasonable price.

/edit:

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Edit: Though to be fair, anyone who demands a tip from me automatically loses my business, since if it's required, it's not a tip.
    Yep, that's why I'm being paid for my work, and not tipped. Especially if they want my Alchemy CD, than they are going to pay a LOT for it.
    Last edited by mmoceaf424ea73; 2011-01-23 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abb View Post
    I'd settle with people realising that this isn't BC anymore and a 10g tip for enchanting your shit is worthless.

Also, the 30 second craft time for the rods is painful. With all the recipe and mats costs (inclusing needing the previous highest rod), making the elementium rod would cost somewhere in the region of 4-5k total, at least.
    I have no issues with a 10g tip for non-rare patterns.

Then again, the desires for obscene tips from crafters led me and my wife to just level one of every profession on our own, so that we don't have to tip anyone. But hey, demanding higher tips always gets you more money, right?

Edit: Though to be fair, anyone who demands a tip from me automatically loses my business, since if it's required, it's not a tip.

I'm talking about from a power-leveling perspective, right off the AH. Every other prof you can buy what you need, and queue up some stuff and tab out, even if it's just 5-10 things. Enchanting, for every single 525 levels, you have to click the enchant, click the item, click the accept button, and finally wait a whopping 5 seconds to enchant the item. Not to mention rods take 30 seconds, and sometimes you have to hound a BS to make you one because there isn't one on the AH.

From a leveling perspective, it's obviously much easier, and arguably one of the easiest if you have Tailoring.

I've leveled Enchanting, Tailoring, Inscription, Engineering, Mining, Herb, and Alchemy to 525. Without considering BS and JC, I can safely say that Engineering was the buttfucking worst one, especially if you want to get Jeeves and the mounts.

I am currently able to sell cataclysm enchant scrolls for about 4-20g if I am lucky, so suggesting you can make your money back from those is to be perfectly honest utter rubbish.
    Yes that may be down to the quantity of scrolls people are producing but it is an awful design if we are all forced to do exactly the same thing.
    Enchanting is a pain to level because there is simply no demand for 95% of the enchants you are capable of producing.
    Dumping gold into it to power level and relying on a handful of in-demand enchants to make your money back is not something we should have to do.
    It should be viable to level up as we go, with sufficient demand for lower level or incremental upgrades of enchants.
    There currently is not that.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2011-01-23 at 01:29 AM.

Just a little update. I need to make a Truesilver Rod now. This requires a Black Pearl, which only drops off Nefarian, and is contained in various bags with a low droprate, also off old raid bosses.

Shit is ridiculous.

EDIT: They drop from Clams as well, it seems. Wowhead must be off. Still kind of ridiculous.
    Last edited by Ragels; 2011-01-23 at 01:36 AM.

Black Pearls also drop randomly when opening clams. I know I got 1 or 2 off recent alts post 4.0.3a in Tanaris. Sent them right to my bank alt just in case I make another enchanter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyfoeth View Post
    Black Pearls also drop randomly when opening clams. I know I got 1 or 2 off recent alts post 4.0.3a in Tanaris. Sent them right to my bank alt just in case I make another enchanter.
    Yeah, the Tidal Striders near Gadgetzan drop them frequently, it seems.

All you need to help level enchanting is a crafting secondary profession of the enchanting toon (Tailoring works wonders for a large pat). I recently leveled enchanting a second time to max, and without a doubt, it was simpler than the first time. With Tailoring, you can farm lower-level dungeons for mats, or find decent spots to farm the mats. Craft what appears to be the best to get materials from (if something requires less mats to get the same DE mats, go for the lesser one).

What I've found useful is to level it up along with Tailoring, they seem to complement each other quite well.

Why are people bitching about the mats required to make runed rods? You have to make one for each profession level. Then you don't have to make any more until the next expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    i spent abotu 5k to 500 enchanting. not to bad

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    enchanting is hard for me because my wife snagged all the greater essences to level hers

but as repayment she has to level JC as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I am currently able to sell cataclysm enchant scrolls for about 4-20g if I am lucky, so suggesting you can make your money back from those is to be perfectly honest utter rubbish.
    Yes that may be down to the quantity of scrolls people are producing but it is an awful design if we are all forced to do exactly the same thing.
    Enchanting is a pain to level because there is simply no demand for 95% of the enchants you are capable of producing.
    Dumping gold into it to power level and relying on a handful of in-demand enchants to make your money back is not something we should have to do.
    It should be viable to level up as we go, with sufficient demand for lower level or incremental upgrades of enchants.
    There currently is not that.
    You're making a pointless argument saying that the lower level enchants aren't desired, what crafting prof sells the lower level items it makes? I don't remember the last time I tried to sell a level 44 leather helmet or a level 55 plate chestpiece, nor do I remember selling many lesser health potions. That stuff doesn't sell, and when it does, you barely make a few silver more than selling it to a vendor. So don't cry about enchanting not being worth anything til higher levels, that's not unique to enchanting.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

I leveled enchanting back before vellums....

Do you know what that meant? It meant finding a piece of gear as a target to re-enchant over and over and over blowing tons of mats on nothing but skill ups, one at a time. And back then we couldnt fly all over the world to get recepies, and some were even rare drops.

And like what some others said, engineering and BS are 10 times worse. I was stupid and put both on the same toon. On top of that, engineering can't make hardly anything worth selling. At least enchanting can sell virtually anything at max level, from twink enchants to max level enchants...
    85: Paladin | Druid | Shaman | Warlock | Death Knight | Mage | Hunter | Rogue | Warrior | Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    what crafting prof sells the lower level items it makes?
    Inscription.

enchanting/tailor de everything you make problrm solved
    I QQ at QQers who QQ about people QQing

Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    problem with enchanting is not many of the enchant scrolls offer a good money return. On my server, people are selling cata enchants which are worth 70g + in matts for only 2-10 gold. It's a total money sink.

BS/Eng weren't bad because you could run out and farm ore for them and sell the overstock (no competition on ore sales on my server)
    This is a temporary problem caused by people spamming enchants to scrolls to get their enchanting up. Given time it will no longer be this way. If you don't want to take the loss, wait until the rush dies down. They are in a hurry and will take any return they can to get the scrolls out of their inventory. The fact remains though, that at 525 you can still make a hell of a profit. On my server Landslide scrolls go for 2-5k over mats cost. That's one hell of a tip.

I had a hard time with it before because no one wanted to buy enchants that would help me level and I hated the idea of farming mats to just enchant BS items. Changed that at the end of LK and into Cata. ....and listening to my roommate level enchanting? It's stupid easy....

Comparatively with other professions that I've leveled...I think Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting and Inscription have been the hardest for me since.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragels View Post
    Anyone else agree with this?

Between the 5 second cast time, having to travel to places for optimal recipes, and generally being one of the most expensive profs to level, anyone think enchanting could use a little bit of a knock down in the difficult department?

Well, we all know that isn't going to happen soon. So, I would like to ask people for their tips to make the enchanting powerlevel grind a little more bearable. Macros, general tips, whatever you got.
    You don't really need enchanting tbh. It used to be nice being able to enchant your own gear, but now you get supercheap scrolls on ah for most enchants. And endgame enchant is not obtainable even for us enchanters. If you can't afford the small cost of powerleveling enchanting, you sure will have a hell with those maelstrom crystals. Unless you have a friendly guild, but if you did they would probably have provided you with cheap lowlevel mats already.
    I'm lazy when it comes to changing professions, but if I had more energy I would probably change it for something else, and so should you... that's my tips.