Thread: upgrades?

upgrades?

i'm looking into a new computer and i found one but first i'd like to know if its an upgrade to my current one.

this is my current laptop
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...null&site=null

and this is the one i'm looking into.
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...7b00b94676en02

i'm not very techy so i'd like to know what anyone here would think. thanks for any help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah thats an upgrade. However, you will benefit way more from buying a desktop. They are considerably more upgradeable and easier to clean. I also find they generally run better.
    Tankadin in Aurora. 6/6HC MSV 6/6HC HOF 3/4HC Terrace 3 days a week (25).

thanks for the reply. and yeah i would like to get a desktop but as of right now i have no place for one and i also travel quite a bit so a laptop is good for that!

Intel is much better for gaming than AMD, and the graphics card on your new laptop is low end. Is there a reason why you are going with HP and purchasing from best buy? Because if you live in the US, you can get a MUCH better laptop on newegg.com for the exact same price. Intel i5 + mid range graphics card.

The above information is assuming that your interest and primary use for the laptop will be gaming. I could be wrong, so let us know what you intent to use the laptop for.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Deleted
    You sure about that laptop? Its 17 inch - and they are pretty damn big. (Too big to really be called a laptop)

A lower end Dell XPS 15 should be available for the same price with better specs (but smaller monitor, that is, equal to your current).
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15/fs

I'm a bit uncertain of the difference between the processors (there appears to be a bit of an absence in evaluations on the AMD CPU), though I believe the i5 should be faster in most programs and games.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-01-23 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    You sure about that laptop? Its 17 inch - and they are pretty damn big. (Too big to really be called a laptop)

A lower end Dell XPS 15 should be available for the same price with better specs (but smaller monitor, that is, equal to your current).

I'm a bit uncertain of the difference between the processors (there appears to be a bit of an absence in evaluations on the AMD CPU), though I believe the i5 should be faster in most programs and games.
    I'm not sure about laptop CPUs, but I know that as far as desktops go, Intel is by far on top of AMD. So, I can only assume that it is the same for laptops as well.

I can see the AMD quad core beating the i5 only under a few conditions and that would be things like video editing or anything else that would be able to use all 4 cores. However, in gaming and just about everything else that most people use everyday, the i5 would be far ahead. i5 also has hyper threading so the performance difference in applications that use 4 cores would probably be very minimal since the i5s clock speed is quite a bit higher and it has 4 threads total (2 physical and 2 virtual) which would probably make up for the lack of 2 additional physical cores that the AMD quad core has.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post

Alright then so how would this run wow? my current run can run it with most settings max minus things like shadows and water and get 60 fps in most places and 40ish in more crowded places and since this is an upgrade i'm sure it would run better but i'd just like to know :P. also i've been invited to the rift beta and i'm pretty sure that this is able to play the game but how well do you think it would run it too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    I'm not sure about laptop CPUs, but I know that as far as desktops go, Intel is by far on top of AMD.
    AMD is quite noted to be suffering severely in the portable market, far more than in the Desktop and especially Server field. They don't have the per-core strength that Intel processors have - and as laptops aren't nearly as often used for properly multi threaded tasks, AMDs philosophy of beating Intel on power via more cores does not play out well.

As far as I recall - it also results in that AMD processors tend to require more power overall; which causes two additional concerns in a laptop.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-01-23 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cleverguy View Post
    Alright then so how would this run wow? my current run can run it with most settings max minus things like shadows and water and get 60 fps in most places and 40ish in more crowded places and since this is an upgrade i'm sure it would run better but i'd just like to know :P. also i've been invited to the rift beta and i'm pretty sure that this is able to play the game but how well do you think it would run it too?
    Well, unlike your current laptop, this new laptop would allow you to raid 10 and 25 mans without having fps problems. I'm pretty sure that the performance you are currently getting is outside of raiding because there is no way you can get 40 fps in a raid with onboard graphics and max settings. Yes, the new laptop would definitely be able to handle any game out there because it has a decent mid range graphics card and a very good CPU.

Here you go, same price -- better processor, better video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214190

The video card on the bestbuy HP laptop is really just a renamed 5470M, as it performs exactly the same as the 5470M. The Mobility HD 5650 is just flat out better, not to mention the Core i5 processor. The hard drive is slightly smaller, but sacrificing 140GB for a much better processor and leagues better video card should be fine, all for the same price.
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-01-23 at 10:49 PM.