Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    ITT: People who didn't read the patch notes for 4.0.3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since this is about cloth, I'll leave Shamans and Boomkins out.

An upgrade is an upgrade. But it is poor judgement of a Mage or a Warlock to roll Need on spirit gear when a healer priest in the same group Needs as well. I would expect Mages and Warlocks to roll on upgrades, but spirit gear is not optimal for them. There are stats that are completely wasted, and thus it's technically a lower ilvl piece for them than it would be for a priest.

Then again, there's no law against being a selfish jackass, and neither facts nor forum discussions will change that.

If you wish to ensure you get gear, the Dungeon Finder is NOT the way.

No specs (SP, Elem and Boomkin included) get in combat mana regen from Spirit.

Healer specs get that from their specialization bonus (Meditation).

However, these specs have the utmost right to roll need on spirit gear, as hit is the most important stat before cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yes it is, it only affects out of combat mana regen which is pointless, you gain no benefit in combat.

So mages and locks should not take such items unless no one else needs.
    This. The only dps who should be rolling on spirit gear are moonking, shadow priests, and elemental shaman because of the spirit -> hit talent. Spirit does nothing IN COMBAT for mages or locks.

Yes it is, it only affects out of combat mana regen which is pointless, you gain no benefit in combat.

Not saying i roll on spirit gear but

Mage Armor?

10+ Year Old Account

So people never leave combat? I agree it doesn't do anything for them in combat... but they still need to regen mana outsisde of combat. it is not a COMPLETE waste.
    Last edited by Spectrez; 2011-01-23 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrez View Post
    Regen mana...? All casters benefit from spirit, it's not like it's a waste to give it to a non-healer.
    If you are a mage or warlock and roll on spirit gear for mana regen, you deserved to be mocked by the entire WoW community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by annarion View Post
    ITT: People who didn't read the patch notes for 4.0.3.
    Since we're talking of people not staying up to date;
    I still meet Hunters that claim they benefit equally much from Polearms and Staves as Feral Druids. They still think Druids only get the stats, and nothing else. This wasn't even the case at the beginning of level 80, 2+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyspartann View Post

Mage Armor?
    You should read the mage armor tooltip sometime after 4.0... (months ago).

RAWRRR MY SPIRIT GEARR!! i hear this shit enough from all healers, caster rolls on a neck with spirit its auto vote out fucking curse him out, make a char on his server just to msg him, an upgrade is an upgrade, if i got a green and i see that shit with spirit and ima lock? ima need it whether the healer needs it or not. Problem with that? QQ more run the shit again, while ur bitching bout something thats not that big, u should be bitchin bout tanks or healers needing on their OS shit, makes me sad which is why i run with friends. Run with friends, solve ur problems

So people never leave combat?
    Yeah, at which point they drink to regen mana quicker than spirit ever could. Is that really your argument?

WAAAWAAAWAAA!!! some dps took my gear and I made a thread about it. WAAAWAAAWAAA!!
    Highly skilled sharpshooter, effective against air units. Can gain the Long Rifles upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    All casters need spirit gear, stop saying spirit gear is for priests only.
    Mages and warlocks don't .....

On topic, if it has "Hit" as a 2nd stat then it's dps, else it is a healing item

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Quote Originally Posted by Holyspartann View Post

Mage Armor?
    Enlighten us, please, what does Mage Armor have to do with spirit?

I'm amazed how informed the average player seems to be...

most "spirit items" have haste+spirit on them which is gorgeous for a shadow priests that wants to be hit capped
    too bad my guild has healer prio on these items and my irl friend who is a sp cries every item he has to pass

Regen mana...? All casters benefit from spirit, it's not like it's a waste to give it to a non-healer.
    Why do people keep saying this? Casters don't regen mana in combat from spirit unless you have the healer spec to regen mana in combat (meditation). All mana users have a tooltip base mana regen thats about 5% of their base mana pool (thats mana without any intellect) which is not affected by spirit in any shape or form. This base mana regen will regen the same amount in combat and out of combat.

Anyways, heres my thoughts on what casters should roll on what.

Ele shamans, balance druids: OK to roll on armor pieces (chest, boots, etc) with spirit? Absolutely. There are no armor pieces with spirit. Ok to roll on accessories (Rings/necklaces)/weapons with spirit? Check with your healers first. There are accessories/weapons with hit instead of spirit.
    Shadow Priests: Ok to roll on armor pieces with spirit? Check with your healers first. There are cloth armor pieces with hit. Try to wait for those first. OK to roll on accessories/weapons with spirit? Same deal; Check with your healers first. There are accessories/weapons with hit instead of spirit.
    Warlocks and Mages: OK to roll on armor pieces with spirit? NO! Your class does not benefit from spirit at -all- while in combat. Pass them to healers first, then to one of the classes above, then you can roll if you're upgrading some awful piece of gear (333 -> 359 epic). OK to roll on accessories/weapons with spirit? NO! Your class does not benefit from spirit at -all- while in combat. Pass them to healers first, then to one of the classes above, then you can roll if you're upgrading some awful piece of gear (333 -> 359 epic).
    Last edited by blahssat; 2011-01-23 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcitu View Post
    Having a talent that gives spirit = hit is NOT, I repeat NOT, a valid reason to need on a spirit piece when a healer needs it! ARH /rage
    Being a healer does not make you better than someone else. I repeat NOT special!

I'm a tank, bracers from HoO drop. 3 paladins in grp. 1 tank 2 ret. Hit/mastery bracers all 3 roll!

In a guild environment, especially my guild, healers always get first loot on gear. But playing as a balance druid, we get next to no gear of our own so we have share with the restos which isn't so bad. Personally Blizz have never done spell leather correctly and using the 1=1 spirit to hit just feels like a quick way to bypass the issue of making more gear for more class/spec combos.

On my boomkin, with so much spirit and hit (i'm not yet capped, does that say how little spell leather there is?) but i have hit the hard cap for casting mp5 at 931 and i need a BoM to go over that, so there really is very little advantage, of course except for hit rating, for dps to take gear over a healer. Of course if a healer needs it MS as an obvious upgrade the dps should be curtious enough to bow down and let the healer have it. Same with dps and tanking items.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    The amount of mana regen a mage gains from spirit is pretty much as good as none, mages using spirit gear for anything apart from placeholder gear is nothing short of silly.

I'M A HUNTER I WANT EVERYTHING!!!!!! /roll need /roll need /roll need