Computer on walmart's site

I'm looking to upgrade my desktop and came across this on walmart.com. Looks like a really good deal. I wanted to get some feedback before I buy it.
    iBuypower-GAMER-SUPREME-WA944SLC/15047850 price is $1,198 (I'm new so it won't let me post links yet)
    Key Features and Benefits:

* Intel Core i7 950 processor
    3.06GHz, 8MB Cache

* 12GB DDR3 system memory
    Gives you the power to handle the most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

* 1.5TB SATA II hard drive
    Store 1,000,000 photos, 428,000 songs or 790 hours of HD video and more

* 24x multi-format DVD burner
    Watch DVD movies on your computer; read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

* 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem or a wired broadband router with wired Ethernet

* NVIDIA GeForce GTS450 graphics
    With 1GB dedicated graphics memory

Additional Features:

* 8 x USB 2.0 ports, 8 x audio ports, 1 x eSATA port, 2 x PS/2 ports, 1 x IEEE 1394 port, 1 x optical port, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port
    * 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, 2 x PCI Express x1 slots, 2 x PCI slots; 5 x external 5.25" drive bays, 7 x internal 3.5" drive bays
    * 8-channel high-quality audio
    * NZXT Phantom Gaming Tower chassis
    * iBUYPOWER Gaming Liquid Cooler

Software:

* Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)

Support and Warranty:

* 1-year parts and labor warranty with lifetime technical support
    * Restore discs are no longer included with PCs. We recommend you use the installed software to create your own restore & backup DVD the first week you use the computer.

Outdated CPU/GPU(also weak), and an excess of RAM. Not a good deal.

the cpu is not outdated...but the gpu is very very weak...also ibuypower doesnt use good hard drives or optical drives....
    although the price seems good for what you get.
    i wouldnt get it becuase i cant find the original computer on their website.

I would look into a custom computer from NCIX or Newegg

I would need more information on what you would be using it for (games and such, and if you do alot of multitasking or rendering in Adobe)

I hardly find the i7-950 an outdated CPU, it's still quite a damn good CPU. However the GPU is low for that build, at least a GTX 460 or HD 6850, bare minimum for something like that. I also agree that the RAM is overkill. You can build similar yourself for less, or even get a better pre-built for the same price.

Edit: Going to iBuyPower's website and customizing and Intel computer, I've come up with this:

Cooler Master HAF 922 case
    Core i5-2500K CPU - Free upgrade to watercooling
    Asus P8P67 LE
    8GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz - Free upgrade to Corsair (or other major brand) DDR3 1600MHz
    ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    Corsair 750W PSU (won't let you go any lower, though you really can..)
    1.5TB SATA HDD, 32MB cache
    24X Generic DVD Dual-Layer DVD-R/RW CD-R/RW
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Final Price $1187 before shipping. That's a pretty good deal for a pre-built system. Shave off a few bucks by declining a mouse and keyboard, too.

Edit 2: It won't let me save a wish list so I can link it D: lame.
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-01-24 at 04:31 AM.

although dont go mac or alienware because they are way overprices....look into the semi-pre-built computers from (-NCIX.com-)

Quote Originally Posted by xenii View Post
    the cpu is not outdated...but the gpu is very very weak...also ibuypower doesnt use good hard drives or optical drives....
    although the price seems good for what you get.
    i wouldnt get it becuase i cant find the original computer on their website.

I would look into a custom computer from NCIX or Newegg

I would need more information on what you would be using it for (games and such, and if you do alot of multitasking or rendering in Adobe)
    NCIX hasn't updated to new Cores yet
    Krimson states...
    Clearly the correct play here is to drop acid everyday.
    Just because you can't easily overdose on acid doesn't mean that dropping 50 hits in a night won't turn you into a drooling retard.

That's a terribly outdated and overpriced build. This is a perfect example of one of those prebuilt systems you see in stores which come loaded with lots of RAM to fool potential customers into thinking that it's a powerful machine.

Ibuypower is fine, you'll save a hundred bucks or so if you build it yourself, but if you don't know how then there is nothing wrong with them. So what if they might use bad hard drives or optical drives. The only really bad hard drives are Maxtor. Yes, some hard drives/optical drives might be higher quality/performance than others, but the difference is negligible.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Is this any better? Its listed on Walmart's site for $1248. I mostly use my computer to play wow and surf the net.

Crush your enemies, climb the tower of paperwork - or do both at the same time with the iBUYPOWER GamerSupreme WA529XLC Desktop PC. Equipped with AMD's innovative Turbo CORE technology, the Phenom II X6 1090T adjusts to the dynamic needs of performance users. It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium, the latest operating system.
    iBUYPOWER GamerSupreme WA529XLC Desktop PC:Product Name:

Key Features and Benefits:

* AMD Phenom II Six Core 1090T processor
    3.2GHz

* 8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

* 1TB SATA hard drive
    Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more

* Blu-ray Combo Drive
    Watch HD movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

* 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem with or wired broadband router with wired Ethernet

* AMD Radeon HD6870 Graphics
    With 1GB dedicated graphics memory and support Microsoft DirectX 11

Additional Features:

* Dual Radiator Liquid Cooler
    * 10 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports, 1 x IEEE 1394 port, 2 x eSATA ports, 7 x audio jacks, 1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x D-Sub port, 1 x optical port
    * 1 x PCI Express (x1) slot, 1 x PCI Express (x16) slot, 2 x PCI slots, 5 x external 5.25" bays, 1 x external 3.5" bay, 5 x internal 3.5" bays

Software:

* Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)
    * Backup and Restore options built into Windows allows you to create safety copies of your most important personal files, so you're always prepared for the worst

Support and Warranty:

* 1-year parts and labor; Life time technical support
    * Restore discs are no longer included with PCs. We recommend you use the installed software to create your own restore and backup DVD the first week you use the computer.

What's In The Box:

* Power cord
    * iBUYPOWER USB Deluxe keyboard
    * iBUYPOWER mouse
    * MB Driver disc
    * Quick Start Guide

To see the manufacturer's specifications for this product, click here.

To see a list of our PC Accessories, click here.

Trade in your used computer and electronics for more cash to spend at Walmart. Good for your wallet and the environment - click here.

The new computer you picked out has a better graphics card but not necessarily a better CPU. I would recommend going on ibuypower's website and picking out a build with an i5 2500k, 4GB of RAM, and an ATI 6870. It's better than both the builds you linked thus far and it might be a few bucks cheaper.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I refuse to buy canned food at wal-mart. I wouldn't even think to trust a computer from there, branded or not.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Never, ever buy a computer from a retailer. Unless it's a local computer shop that is building the computer to your specifications, it will be shit.

Stick with the new Intel i5 2500K processors, they blow everything else out of the water for what you will need
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I refuse to buy canned food at wal-mart. I wouldn't even think to trust a computer from there, branded or not.
    LOL
    This is a win. I can't stand walmart.

I would never buy a computer from wal-mart. And I would never, ever, spend money on everything from iBuyPower. Their customer service is absolute crap, and I I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times I warned someone, they bought something from them anyway, and got a computer with parts rolling around the case because they weren't even secured properly. Just know that if you spend money on their junk I will preemtively laugh at you at my desk just in case I miss the opportunity to do it again when you come on here and tell us how it broke. I'm sorry but they are just that bad.

Oh and maxtor hard drives = seagate hard drives now, since someone mentioned it. Anything made after 2007 is identical to a seagate drive and just has a different label slapped on it. For internal drives they're fine. Their externals and enclosures are pure shit but that's not really relevant to this.

Anyway, if you order from iBP, you'll eventually get a working system, but be ready to deal with delays and wrong components that you have to dick with their support for weeks to get corrected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Build your own.

www.tigerdirect.com
    www.memoryexpress.com

These sites take parts build your own custom rig and mail it to you.
    You can pick parts and have them sent to you and do it yourself too.

Well, would mention VoodooPC.com. But Hp bought them out and has pretty much dumped them in the river. I still have 2 systems from them before HP bought them. Great systems still. Very up-gradeable. But otherwise, I'd go to Tigerdirect.com. very simple and cheap to build your own and have it shipped.

Voodoo Computers Inc. or VoodooPC is a luxury personal computer manufacturer owned by Hewlett Packard based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It was founded in 1991, and in September of 2006 Hewlett Packard announced they would acquire Voodoo. They now maintain Voodoo as a high-end brand within the parent company. Voodoo specializes in high performance computing. As of November 7, 2009, VoodooPC offers only two models: the Envy 133 (laptop) and the HP Firebird (desktop), although both are no longer available for purchase. It is unknown at this time if any new products are in production

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 01:23 PM ----------

Oh,,and also newegg.com