Page 1 of 2
LastLast

to all the add-on creators/junkies please read!

So enough with people crying about dps meters.

I have an idea (if its even possible) for an addon similar to recount or any other dps meter.

If someone was able to create an addon where when you dps it shows a percentile rather then a large number,
    And lets say if you fail on a boss tactic such as standing in something your not supposed to your percent would drop a certain amount
    Maybe like 3% for each time you fail. But you can also raise it by doing things your supposed to such as interrupting. But would only go up 1% because your supposed to be doing that anyway. But would encourage more egotistical people to do their jobs.
    Maybe a breakdown overall of how many times you fail or again if its possible (how much downtime u had).

Again this isn't thought out that well, its more of a very rough draft hopefully with some criticism and more opinions/ideas it
    Could be possible.

Please give criticism or opinions and a reason behind them, this isn't troll post.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like a good idea actually

10+ Year Old Account
    uhh this is more of a DKP meter to me than a dps meter, as standing in fire doesn't actually make you do less damage, it should be more of a rating system for blizz, stand in the fire for 5 sec, -10 player rating, interuppt, plus 5 player rating, and so on

Decent idea but would be a logistical nightmare imo (but idk nething about addons). Calculating numbers on the fly in an addon seems complex (yet again I dont know nething about this). For me Skada/Recount works just fine. I can check Damage Taken (broken down by ablity) as well as Interrupts with just a few clicks.

Might help with the majority of the people who tunnel vision recount and say DUDE I DID 20K DPS (but died within 1 min because of fire). Most of my guildies dont even look at dmg meters. I just look at healing meters to see if anyone is slacking. And i define slacking as ~4k HPS lower than everyone else. Not 1k.
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if, instead of the addon adding or subtracting from your total percentage, it has a separate counter for the good and bad things that you do? So it would count how many supportive things you did for your group, and how many screw-ups you made. That way you would still be able to see how productive people were DPS wise, and you would also be able to see how smart and or stupid people were during that fight.

There's add-ons that do this in a sense. It started off as 'failbot' then a library was developed, so many add-ons have the potential to implement such features. Skada, for example, has a Fail meter.

Some actualy have percents built into em, like Recount. I'm sure there's one with pure percentage, Iunno. I mainly use it for the after-battle to tell me what abilities worked the best in whatever combination.

This would be doable by making a parsing script of some sort for combat log. The hard part is deciding the coefficients of each case "standing in the fire", interrupts, etc.

Notably, recount already has all the info you need, including interrupts, damage taken, etc. It just doesn't parse it in the way you want, but the information is there in a relatively easy-to-access format.

Ok I see where your coming from, so many people are concerned with their dps that they are tunneled and don't worry about tactics. If people were penalized for that then that would give more incentive to do well and pay attention. Aka make players better. Just imho

10+ Year Old Account
    the % should also go up for de-cursing and such, but not a bad idea.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknazty View Post
    Decent idea but would be a logistical nightmare imo (but idk nething about addons). Calculating numbers on the fly in an addon seems complex (yet again I dont know nething about this). For me Skada/Recount works just fine. I can check Damage Taken (broken down by ablity) as well as Interrupts with just a few clicks.

Might help with the majority of the people who tunnel vision recount and say DUDE I DID 20K DPS (but died within 1 min because of fire). Most of my guildies dont even look at dmg meters. I just look at healing meters to see if anyone is slacking. And i define slacking as ~4k HPS lower than everyone else. Not 1k.
    Yeah but all I hear in raids is, your not doing enough dps you have to go.

and for anyone who plans on saying, sounds like a pissed off bad player who can't do dps. That not the situation. I pvp mainly

---------- Post added 2011-01-23 at 05:57 PM ----------

if someone could combine a few add ons together that are already out there I gaurentee it would be popular

10+ Year Old Account
    If you need to prove a point, link the following:

Damage Done (if necessary show how much % to the adds)
    DPS
    Interrupts
    Damage Taken (again if neccesary, you can show what % he took from fire or other mechanics he shouldnt have touched)
    Activity (not that great but you can definitely see if someone is slacking big time)
    Deaths (shows the last few actions before death and can point out failures)

Alternatively, use the stateofdps.com webstie and yell at your dps (my case a survival hunter) with mathematical analysis explaining to him why his faceroll 19k dps was actually not that good for his class compared to a retri paladin's 18k who was sweating his balls to get it.
    Last edited by Nasser; 2011-01-24 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascherzon
    He doesn't read topics before he posts - he just takes a dump, smears it all over his face, rolls his face across the keyboard and presses post.

People need to know what they failed in and why. The addons reporting this information are far more useful than a % based system.

As for interrupts, I've seen people QQ about them before because they did 90% the interrupting. If you're the fastest guy there you're going to interrupt faster, the others don't get credit for interrupting 0.1s late.

The DPS meter does a job, it tells you how much DPS you are doing, and you can see who the DPS is going onto. This is useful information for organising your raid, and personally for seeing if you meet your own standards. I also appreciate the death logs from Recount which help you explain why people died.

The problem with meters of any kind isn't the meter itself, it is the way people chose to use them. A % fail meter wouldn't work, because it is a lot easier to follow tactics if you ignore DPS completely. You need both in order to succeed.

Cool

there is no add-ons, but only way is to use world of logs. shows all dps don't.

I did 35k sustained dps and came out top the other night on a first kill. U didnt see me bragging to guildies or expecting a slap on the back. I went to get my face in the screen shot and ready to kill the next boss. Big numbers mean nothing unless bosses die.

Most people look at overall damage done, and even then its subjective. To many factors come into play on most fights. SOme fights are melee friendly, other caster etc etc.

If someone so focused on his DPS alone they wont last long in top guilds anyways so who gives a toss. I know personally I dont need a pat on the back for interupting something or not standing in fire. Its my job to do whats needed without someone holding my hand. The addon ur wishing for is aimed at idiots who an addon wont make any difference to.

Not only that but some fights its important only set people interupt stuff so things dont get thrown into mayhem. So all those that leave the interupt alone are (by ur addon) doing it wrong. Even though they are doing the right thing. My advice is if ur writing asking for this cos ur frustrated by idiots in ur guild tunnel visioning on DPS, either kick em out or find a guild where that aint accepted.
    Last edited by Lutharr the Dead n Damned; 2011-01-24 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added something

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutharr the Dead n Damned View Post
    I did 35k sustained dps and came out top the other night on a first kill
    Unless you can prove that with some kind of WoL, it's either bullshit or a gimmick mechanic (add kiter on HC Magmaw, multi-dotting on Dragon Twins).

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 02:31 PM ----------

OT: There's addons that do something like that - Failbot and its companions. Telling people what they are doing wrong is far better than just dumbing the entire thing down to yet another imaginary number.

Why would i need to bullshit? U think i need to prove myself to people I'll never meet, and dont really care if i do. The point wasnt about proving my epeen. If u wanna go look for dreadlutharr on the WoL thing then be my guest. Its there if u look I aint bothering looking for myself. The point was I did my job 1st, then looked at numbers after the fact. (well I looked after I had been w/ by a guildy).

Deleted
    Google is unable to find a single WoL entry for a character of that name. Besides, 35k is simply impossible in current gear unless there is some kind of gimmicky encounter mechanic involved.

EDIT: Anyway, back on topic now please.

The real problem you're describing here isn't DPS meters (which are a useful tool), its idiots. Your real problem is with idiots. Addon creators can't fix idiots for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    The real problem you're describing here isn't DPS meters (which are a useful tool), its idiots. Your real problem is with idiots. Addon creators can't fix idiots for you.
    Hey, you can give me a proper and fail-safe algorithm that detects whether the user is an idiot or not, and we write you an addon that will automatically crash retards' WoW client whenever they log on. Would of course require a global conspiracy of addon authors, but that's a minor issue.