Hydramist.net Pvp Class/Spec Survey

I'm fairly certain someone has posted about this previously on MMO-Champion, but a quick search did not reveal it. And it's rather smartly done and of use to the person who cares about Wow pvp. Hopefully this'll give some few people a better, more holistic overview of current classes and attitudes among the playerbase. If not, oh well - I tried.

Here goes:
    http://hydramist.net/blog/community-...-some-numbers/

Basically a huge survey

The survey sadly stopped counting at an entry number of 10k users but I’d say that this number is still sufficiently big enough...
    that broke down what classes are most concerned about what other classes/specs and how people perceive what. Nothing earth-shattering but as this is pretty darn much better than Blizzard's version of it - i.e., tally up the number of "Nerf Mages" threads on this or that official forum - we, as discerning pvp afficionados or connoisseurs should at least support the stuff, in the hope that more people try these things, or that they continue at least.

Enjoy.

Definitely an interesting read.
    I loved the chart with "Borderline retarded" lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    This needs to be shown to these forums lol.
    I ABSOLUTELY agree with the 26% that said Death Knights are the most OP class at the moment. I do not say that because they specifically counter my class. I say this because they are way too strong in arena at the moment with almost any other DPS. If your healer is sitting in a cc, by the time they get out you have Necrotic Strike stacked up to 20k on you. These forums are filled with people struggling for 2k so it's so ridiculously hard to find people that actually have a reason to call something overpowered. They hear it from someone else and start saying it's OP. In my opinion, anyone that says Mages need a fix more than Death Knights needs to go back to arenas ASAP. Play smart and a Mage won't counter you, play smart and a Death Knight will faceroll into you with Necrotic Strike.

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 12:12 AM ----------

Overall,
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom Walker View Post
    Definitely an interesting read.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2011-01-24 at 08:28 AM.

I registered on that site just to leave a comment saying "Thanks" and to show my support for smart surveying/pvp research.

If you like this kind of stuff try to give the people who did it a little positive feedback - maybe they'll do it again a few weeks after patch 4.0.6 hits. I'm thinking this type of stuff could become mad useful as a feedback tool over the years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I check Hydramist.net quite a bit. They update it every day or two days or so, which is nice.

15+ Year Old Account
    So wait...only 7% of those people think that Resto Shamans need to be nerfed even though they make up...16.67% of the top 3v3 teams? Yeah...polls are very reliable sources of information.
    BfA Beta Time

That last graph looks pretty much exactly how I thought it would look.

Arms Warrior, Resto Shaman, Feral Druid, DK, Affliction Lock and Mage need to be toned down a bit. I think that in the next patch, Arms Warrior, Feral Druid, DK and Mage are already being nerfed, whether or not it's enough, I'm not sure. I'm the most skeptical about whether or not the DK nerfs will outweigh the buffs that they got (esp. Death's Advance). Also, somehow Resto Shaman and Affliction Lock escaped pretty much untouched this patch with the only nerf to Shamans being a rather major buff to Warlock teams...

I think that Blizzard is on the right track though. With a couple more tweaks to certain classes, we could get to a pretty decent spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to be that Prot Warriors are in an okay spot right now, being viable, but yet not to the point where other people scream "OP!"

And did you not get any responses from Prot Paladins and Fury Warriors in that survey? Or were they not frequent enough to be listed on that chart?
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

buff hunters :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    So wait...only 7% of those people think that Resto Shamans need to be nerfed even though they make up...16.67% of the top 3v3 teams? Yeah...polls are very reliable sources of information.
    If you're the Swizzlelol on Illidan, you've only been like 1800, you wouldn't realise what this information was if Blizzard connected the dots for you in blue writing. Resto Shamans need a nerf? Here's a suitable nerf: Cleanse Waters only heals once per Cleanse Spirit, and Arthess' ideas for offensive dispel mechanics. Going overboard on class changes isn't necessary and by doing this, they're just going to tune the classes even more through the expansion/season to try to "balance" the new mechanics they just gave them.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2011-01-25 at 01:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisperawr View Post
    If you're the Swizzlelol on Illidan, you've only been like 1800, you wouldn't realise what this information was if Blizzard connected the dots for you in blue writing. Resto Shamans need a nerf? Here's a suitable nerf: Cleanse Waters only heals once per Cleanse Spirit, and Arthess' ideas for offensive dispel mechanics. Going overboard on class changes isn't necessary and by doing this, they're just going to tune the classes even more through the expansion/season to try to "balance" the new mechanics they just gave them.
    Thank god Arena was invented when WotLK came out. Anyway, did I say I think Shamans need a nerf? No. I'm saying the data from that poll doesn't represent the reality of the brackets, probably because it is out dated.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Thank god Arena was invented when WotLK came out.
    A person that doesn't stay up to date on their skills in game is just as equal to me. If the last time you played competitively was in Burning Crusade, chances are you're a bit rusty, sir.

Anyway, did I say I think Shamans need a nerf? No. I'm saying the data from that poll doesn't represent the reality of the brackets, probably because it is out dated.
    You would know the brackets how? From what I remember you haven't been keeping up to date in game on arena since BC? If you're referring to the amount of players in like the top 100's, wait for it, wait for it............................. LOL.

And what you're implying from saying that Shamans make up 16% of the top 3v3 is that they're clearly doing better than every other class, or else you wouldn't have mentioned it. And you wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't relevant or was for no reason, so I have a feeling that's why you brought it up. But by all means, if you didn't mean it that way, explain further. Also, you use the word "only", as if your expectations of the community or your own opinion is that there should be a higher percentage on that vote.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2011-01-25 at 04:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    *Cough*http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lation-and-You*cough*

I focused on Arena in TBC because I had time senior year in high school and freshman year in college to do it. In WotLK, I moved to a more serious late night raiding guild since my days were filled with classes and study, so competitive arena dropped to the way side. In Cata, I've helped gear friends and guildies up in PvP for shits and or giggles. Does that mean I don't know PvP? No, it just means I haven't focused on it primarily.
    BfA Beta Time

Mage – “Me OP? No no sir, but if I could ask you to take a look at this kitty. A god damn Cat, immune to my shizzle. You’re kidding right? You know what my cat does when it’s snowing and freezing cold outside? It stays the f inside and sleeps all day. Maybe it will try to climb on my lap to get some welfare petting which I immediately shut down as I have to pro it up in Arena. No ripping, no shredding. Let me repeat that for you: IT IS NOT#@”ING ME APART" From http://hydramist.net/blog/community-this-is-you-crunching-some-numbers/" I lol'd SO HARD!

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it hard to make conclusions on this information without digging into the core mechanics of the class. What conclusions did you make from this exactly? And how could you make those conclusions based on this information gathered? Or are you just giving this to me to make whatever I can of it?