10+ Year Old Account

Question Rearranging Character List

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to be able to move around the order their characters are in on the Character Select page.
    There was apparently a thread regarding this matter a few years ago, Blizzard said that because the order is stored on their servers, it would require extra work from their servers to allow rearranging, so they couldn't allow it at the current time. They said that perhaps sometime after WotLK, it would be implemented.. Either they've forgotten, or just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Well, what I'd like to know is if it is possible to mod your game in such a way that characters are rearrangeable. I understand that it would require some unique modification methods, but I think it is possible because I know of (and used) a mod that allowed you to change your log-in screen, which I imagine would be somewhere in the same ballpark.

The potential mod would be simply cosmetic, and not affect the "actual" order, only the perceived. Unfortunately I have no skills in programming of any sort, so I'm leaving this up to some programmers looking for a challenge.

I'm unsure on the "legality" of such a mod, though I'm not concerned about that, if discussion of such is not permitted on this board, but you have interest in programming this mod, send me a PM.

Thanks!
    We will stand above the city, rising high above the streets
    From tops of buildings we will look, at all that lies beneath our feet
    We will raise our hands above us, cold steel shining in the sun
    With these hands that will not bleed, my father's battle will be won!

Drakkosh Zhysta Shivarra Tesela

1. Pretty sure this is server sided
    2. Bannable offence ( years ago I used some druid skins on the awefull looking shapeshift forms, this almost got me banned )
    3. You will not find anyone here ( or anywhere ) willing to ''program'' that for you.
    4. Sorry for breaking yer bubble..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Povertus View Post
    1. Pretty sure this is server sided
    Yeah, I'm aware it's server side, I said that. The imagined mod would cosmetically alter the character select screen to allow them to be rearranged, though it's only an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Povertus View Post
    2. Bannable offence ( years ago I used some druid skins on the awefull looking shapeshift forms, this almost got me banned )
    I figured that, not super concerned. I'm more interested in why or why not this would be impossible, potential work-arounds, etc.. I'm not truly expecting anyone to do this.
    We will stand above the city, rising high above the streets
    From tops of buildings we will look, at all that lies beneath our feet
    We will raise our hands above us, cold steel shining in the sun
    With these hands that will not bleed, my father's battle will be won!

Drakkosh Zhysta Shivarra Tesela

It's a nice idea, I've actually wished we could before too.
    I guess mostly because I hate having my lvl 1 and 5 bank toons just sitting in the middle of my list looking really out of place :\

Even though the order is server sided, it could be altered and saved locally. Unfortunately it would require modifying the game data (since a simple addon would not do) which is a bannable offence. But yeah, Blizz could totally do that, if they wanted to.

Making a cosmetic overlay, for the character list is not something that would be easily done.
    Sure never say never..

But being its my field... I wouldn't even know where to start.
    Let alone fool warden...

So... GL

Edit : I agree with Jackleino, I to have chars I would love to put on top of the list.

Deleted
    I think Blizzard state that it's something they'd like to do sometime in the future(yup: http://www.wowblues.com/eu/any-news-...829663128.html ). But until then the only way to rearrange (of what I know of) is to realm xfer since the one you xfer will end on top on the new realm, so 2x xfer and you'll have the toon on top.

Deleted
    Addons aren't even loaded by the time you reach the character screen. Not possible with any (ToS-allowed) means.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    As Treeston said - addons cannot do this, simply because addons are not loaded until the loading screen AFTER the character select screen. Doing it in another program is possible - but would get you banned, because it's modifying the memory used by WoW while the game is running (or it's somehow modifying the actual WoW executable, which is an even worse offense).