Deleted

Refreshing Immolate early: Beneficial or decremental?

Being bored at work, I read gherkins very informative post concerning Hasted DoT's and Clipping and got this idea that perhaps it would be beneficial to refresh Immolate 'early' (i e even before tick n-1). Thus, with some help from the logs of a random lock (can't post link since I'm a new user), I began calculating.

The lock in question (Jelloslock) did cast Immolate 9 times, resulting in 57 ticks (hence, the average number of ticks/Immolate was 6). The average damage of Immolates up-front damage was 4978 and the average damage/tick was 4523. The average damage of Conflagrate was 18239.

Now, consider the following scenario: Haste is increased to the extent that the number of ticks in the DoT-part of Immolate is increased by 1 through perhaps Heroism/Bloodlust/Haste trinket/Racials/Whatever. What would the dps-increase/decrease of prematurely refreshing Immolate be? The 'bonus' damage would be the up front-damage of another Immolate, the damage of the extra tick and the bonus damage to Conflagrate. Using the numbers from the log above, this lands at: 4978+4523+0.6*4523=12215, which can be compared to the average damage of Incinerate that in the aforementioned log is 11865, average damage of Chaos Bolt is 12709.

In other words, and please correct me if the math above fails: refreshing Immolate 'early' when there is a haste proc that gives the DoT-part of Immolate an extra tick should be higher prioritized than casting a filler such as Incinerate!?

You're correct, but this sort of thing has been used for some time and is really only for the minmaxers with proc addons. Obviously this goes with the assumption the aformentioned haste buff will have run out before you would normally refresh a dot again.