10+ Year Old Account

Let's talk about UI

Lately I've been finding my UI somewhat lacking. I run with the standard BlizzUI with a few minor addons (grid, dbm, atlasloot), and I've decided there's just a bit too much clutter going on.

I'd love to hear some suggestions from other healers on how they manage their UI. I'm looking for something very lightweight; my laptop can't handle too much memory. I just want something that will get the job done with as little excess as possible.

What do you guys use?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong forum for this. But I'll reply anyways.

I use Bartender4
    X-Perl
    and then a few class specific addons, plus a few random ones which just make it like nice, such as sexymap etc etc
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE

I recommend using bartender. It removes the action bar art and that helps with a nice and clean UI
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummbles View Post
    The reason there are so few tanks isn't because tanking is hard, it's because everyone else is a fucking idiot. True story.

inb4 a s***storm of clueless suggestions. i think everyone should follow these 2 points:

first: you need an UI that you like. you will be looking at it the whole time you play.

second: what do you want your UI do for you? i mean, do you do PvE, PvP, what information you need to play better and what it's completely useless?

taking examples from previous posts, and addon for action bars and/or unit frames is mandatory, since basically they remove useless art which occupies your screen and lets you move around things. atlasloot instead provides little or nothing to your gameplay, only uses memory.

i suggest you to use dominos for bars, and STUF/pitbull for unitframes. dont mess with xperl and sexymap in any case.

after this, you are free do do whatever you want.

In order to get a nice, clean UI, you'll want to get rid of all the default UI art.
    Bartender for bars.
    Shadowed Unit Frames for your... Uhm, yea.. Unit frames. (X-Perl is 'noob-friendly' but shitty at best, while Pitbull configuration may be too overwhelming).
    Those two addons alone will make you UI a lot cleaner.
    Disabling the Shadowed Unit Frames raid frames and using Grid instead might also be a good idea, since you're currently using Grid.
    Last edited by Riboe; 2011-01-24 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Typo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Moved to interface and macros.
    Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    inb4 a s***storm of clueless suggestions. i think everyone should follow these 2 points:

first: you need an UI that you like. you will be looking at it the whole time you play.

second: what do you want your UI do for you? i mean, do you do PvE, PvP, what information you need to play better and what it's completely useless?

taking examples from previous posts, and addon for action bars and/or unit frames is mandatory, since basically they remove useless art which occupies your screen and lets you move around things. atlasloot instead provides little or nothing to your gameplay, only uses memory.

i suggest you to use dominos for bars, and STUF/pitbull for unitframes. dont mess with xperl and sexymap in any case.

after this, you are free do do whatever you want.
    I am a progression raider, but also enjoy arena. Should I have different setups for each?

What perks are there from dominos that I won't see in other action bar mods?

I agree that atlasloot is pretty useless, since I have a loot list on paper anyway. Why do you recommend avoiding map add-ons? The same waste of memory argument?

Quote Originally Posted by Riboe View Post
    In order to get a nice, clean UI, you'll want to get rid of all the default UI art.
    Bartender for bars.
    Shadowed Unit Frames for your... Uhm, yea.. Unit frames. (X-Perl is 'noob-friendly' but shitty at best, while Pitbull configuration may be too overwhelming).
    Those two addons alone will make you UI a lot cleaner.
    Disabling the Shadowed Unit Frames raid frames and using Grid instead might also be a good idea, since you're currently using Grid.
    I'm okay with overwhelming, I enjoy examining every option of the mods I use (I very much enjoy what I've done with grid ).

Thanks for the tip on Shadowed Unit Frames.. one of my major concerns is dealing with conflicting mods and error messages. I hate hate hate it when I get an error because of my UI. Glyph interaction with Bagnon comes to mind ._.

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 01:28 PM ----------

I also used to manage my castbar with quartz, any recommendations for a castbar add-on?

Bartender4 (Allows you to bind any key to any button easily and move your bars anywhere on your screen)
    MikScrollingCombatText (Scrolls damage on right and incoming damage/incoming heals on left)
    Castbars (custom sized cast bars that show enemy casts for interrupts, moveable to anywhere)
    Shadowed unit frames(less memory usage as Xperl and nearly as customizable)

I love the minimalist approach, used to use different shells than explorer in Windows 98se just to create a minimalist look.

Less clutter = better.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.tukui.org/v2/tukui/download/

Best UI ever. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebruddy View Post
    Thank you kindly.
    I am a progression raider, but also enjoy arena. Should I have different setups for each?

What perks are there from dominos that I won't see in other action bar mods?

I agree that atlasloot is pretty useless, since I have a loot list on paper anyway. Why do you recommend avoiding map add-ons? The same waste of memory argument?

[/COLOR]I also used to manage my castbar with quartz, any recommendations for a castbar add-on?
    it depends of the role you have. if you're a healer, you want raid/party frames easily reachable for healing fast, if you're a dps you want to focus your target and don't give a crap if others in your raid die

also for pvp you need to track trinkets and different abilities, but you should figure it out yourself playing. there is no way i can know your playstyle^^

as for addons you asked: sexymap is useless do to a faggot huge glowing thing around the minimap. as i said, useless. there are lost of minimap addons which can do everything you need (square map + move, you don't want anything else). as for castbar, quartz is good, but azcastbar is better. and as for dominos, is better than bartender imho due to less options but same functionality.

edit: i'm not against ui packages, but people tend to install them and then go crazy with tons of crap over them, which is bad. then if you feel yourself good with lua you can go like me. yep, it's tukui.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2011-01-24 at 06:39 PM. Reason: sharing^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Sexymap has many other options other than the blue glow setup btw. I would suggest getting hideblizzard and removing the mini map altogether and using carbonite. for your addons minimap button frame will take all of the small addon icons and put them into a very small and neat little box.

Deleted
    what would i do without bartender =) its the best

Dominos / Bartender will both serve the same purpose with any differences not affecting most users.
    I would go with Shadowed Unit Frames over Pitbull or StUF for the simpler setup. Moving to more advanced should you then need it.
    Minimap something simpler like Chinchilla will be less of a hog than Sexymap which appeals more for its visuals than anything else.
    Grid for a raid frame, but may not not be the easiest of things to set up well.

Back in WOTLK I did a bit of healing for ICC and here was my philosophy when I was making up an UI that was explicitly used for healing:

1. Keep the UI simple. Less things on the screen means more focusing on the raid.
    2. Keep it cross-spec functional. Swapping specs and resetting your buttons can be a pain.

I used the following addons that I still use today: Bartender4, HealBot Continued, Decursive, ClassTimer

Bartender4 basically cleared my UI and just left the buttons there for rearranging.

HealBot was used for healing using modified mouse clicks.
    Decursive was used to dispell - but I guess you could use HealBot for the same purpose. I use decursive because it was simpler for me to switch between the 2 addons
    ClassTimer was used to check when a particular Heal Over Time spell was going to expire on the tank.