10+ Year Old Account

Is Silence worth it?

Recently I've found myself in situations as a shadow priest where people are wanting me to interrupt something. My current build is 10/0/31 with no points in either Improved Psychic Scream or, obviously, Silence. With a long cooldown and me needing to move 3 points around I've never really felt the need to change anything but some people are surprised when I can't interrupt anything. I'd probably end up taking a the point out of Inner Sanctum (who cares) and two points out of Veiled Shadows which I really don't want to do.

Does anyone else spec in to Silence for PvE?
    Last edited by Anthonian; 2011-01-24 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Missed a number

I built a my secondary spec around having silence and psychic horror for 5 mans but after a while i just went back to my standard 9/0/32 and a holy secondary. If you dont want to spec into silence don't. I would however take the one point from inner sanctum and put it into psychic horror. If people are asking you to interrupt they obviously don't know much about the class and that silence is for the most part a pvp talent.

I had dropped 2 points from imp mind blast and 1 other from i dont remember where.
    Last edited by scandalis; 2011-01-24 at 08:37 PM.

Deleted
    I know that our Shadow Priest doesn't, but we have a Rogue and Elemental Shaman in our ten man. Hows your general raid set-up looking at the moment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannie View Post
    I know that our Shadow Priest doesn't, but we have a Rogue and Elemental Shaman in our ten man. Hows your general raid set-up looking at the moment?
    We're generally pretty covered on interrupts in raid, it's mostly in 5-mans where I get asked mostly. I generally tell everyone it's a waste of 3 points and since they don't know any better they usually shut up. I just wanted to make sure something hadn't changed that I wasn't aware of.

Scandalis - I've never speced in to Psychic Horror before because I never saw where I'd use it. Where do you find yourself using it usually?

Deleted
    Hey again Anthonian, if your secondary spec is busy doing something else I'd consider ignoring them and keeping the DPS increase.
    Good luck on getting better 5man set-ups in the future
    - Dannie

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonian View Post
    We're generally pretty covered on interrupts in raid, it's mostly in 5-mans where I get asked mostly. I generally tell everyone it's a waste of 3 points and since they don't know any better they usually shut up. I just wanted to make sure something hadn't changed that I wasn't aware of.

Scandalis - I've never speced in to Psychic Horror before because I never saw where I'd use it. Where do you find yourself using it usually?
    I use it on CD for the most part on trash and some bosses while the fear doesnt do anything the disarm still works...rahj in hoo for example the disarm is good to have, the 2nd boss in grim batol when he duel wields his swords the disarm works... Its a solid 1 point talent especially if you glyph it. I also use it when my MC breaks and i need to recast!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks you two!

My secondary is Shadow and I was only specced into Psychic Horror for a long time, but that was mostly because the five man group I ran in always had a Rogue and a DK. Lately we've been switching up the group so I moved some points around (the same ones you were considering) to get Silence. Honestly, it's nice to have the utility if you're running a lot of five mans.

As for Psychic Horror, I used it a lot more in the early days of heroics to take some of the strain of the healer. You'd be surprised how many bosses can be disarmed.

You can easily spare the points for silence if you don't get Imp. MB, which is a perfectly viable build until 4.0.6. Not sure about after though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wekapedia View Post
    You can easily spare the points for silence if you don't get Imp. MB, which is a perfectly viable build until 4.0.6. Not sure about after though.
    Or you can take 1 point out of machosim and 1 point out of mental agility and lose no potential dps at the small cost of some mana.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're doing heroics, you're not going to lose enough DPS but speccing in Silence for it to matter. For raids, I generally assume it's not worth to spec into it.
    There is no gene for the human spirit. ~GATTACA

Deleted
    Does anyone else spec in to Silence for PvE?
    Yes, I currently have both Silence and Psychic Horror in my PvE spec (I don't PvP whatsoever). This will however change with 4.0.6 where all 3 points will be moved to Improved Mind Blast, which I currently don't have, because my haste level can't guarantee at least one Shadow Orb every Mind Blast.

Although I will consider taking Silence for Nefarian (most likely using points from Masochism and Phantasm)
    In general, Silence is a minor convenience that I can live without.

And on a side note, if I had put points in Inner Sanctum, I would have taken them away first.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use two shadow builds. One for running instances and questing which is tilted toward CC with Silence and Psychic Horror and the other now set up for raiding which is straight DPS. Switch them out as necessary.

For pure fun, I like the first one to be honest.

I think it is definitely worth it if you run alot of 5-mans. I'd recommend the following build : http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfMoZZGrGdMkRd0fo.

I've taken both Imp. PW:S and Imp. Mind Blast because PW:S should be pretty amazing next patch, Improved: Mind Blast is probably gonna be a mandatory dps talent.

Mana is usually a non-issue in 5-mans, between Dispersion, Hymn of Hope, Shadowfiend and Archangel, so I took a point out of Masochism and skipped Mental Agility for the stronger PW:Shield. The last point in Masochism could even be moved to Psychic Horror if you think you'll miss the disarm / short CC it provides.

For a while I was using this:
    http://wowtal.com/#k=Y-mmxAGd.aei.priest.

You can PvE competently, do interrupts, and even PvP fairly well in the same spec.

But once 4.0.6 comes along with the buff to mastery/MB I'm gonna go with this:
    http://wowtal.com/#k=Y-m7Js11.aei.priest.

I left out Silence for PvE spec but got Psychic Horror.

Silence is barely ever helpful for raids or heroics, while psychic horror can help the tank get aggro after a mind control.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrem View Post
    I left out Silence for PvE spec but got Psychic Horror.

Silence is barely ever helpful for raids or heroics, while psychic horror can help the tank get aggro after a mind control.
    Ok, I don't understand your logic there. Silence is a ranged interrupt. How can that not be useful? On Cho'gall for example, it's golden. But yeah, I guess it boils down to personal preferences really.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaftwig View Post
    Ok, I don't understand your logic there. Silence is a ranged interrupt. How can that not be useful? On Cho'gall for example, it's golden. But yeah, I guess it boils down to personal preferences really.
    in a *raid* you should have enough classes with an interrupt that's baseline. DKs, rogues, shamans, warriors, mages should have all the interrupts covered. For 5 mans it's useful mostly cause of the smacktardery of the average pug thinking interrupts are the sole responsibility of the tank or are a pvp move...

Deleted

my guild shadow has skilled that stuff. in 5mans you can make some bosses do 0 dmg if you have a disarm rotation and yes the long CDs on disarm still make it possible to do so.
    if you have a warrior and rogue in your setup then forget about silence. do not spec for 5man. do not spec for rnd people. not worth it